Cornell- If grandfather went there should I put in secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physicsMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My grandfather graduated from Cornell Med in the late 1930's. I want to mention this somewhere but the only possible place is under the reasons for wanting to go to Cornell essay, and thats not really a reason why I want to go there. I figure since in their affiliation section they only ask about parents, that a grandparent won't make a difference in my application and maybe I should not include it at all, but just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Members don't see this ad.

I would mention it in the reasons for wanting to go to Cornell. Maybe it's not a major reason, but it must be a small part of your decision to apply there.

Originally posted by physicsMD
Hey guys,
My grandfather graduated from Cornell Med in the late 1930's. I want to mention this somewhere but the only possible place is under the reasons for wanting to go to Cornell essay, and thats not really a reason why I want to go there. I figure since in their affiliation section they only ask about parents, that a grandparent won't make a difference in my application and maybe I should not include it at all, but just wanted to see what you guys thought.

If they ask about family members who worked/attented the school then you can list your grandfather (even though it asked for parents) but I think that's where it starts and ends.
You said it's (ur grandpa attending cornell) not the reason you want to attend cornell anyway so why really mention it in the essay?

If you do decide to mention it, make sure it doesn't come across the wrong way

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with SMW. I would mention it as a reason, but don't over emphasize that as a reason.

OK,
the easiest thing to do would be to mention it in the affiliation section, but I don't want them to think I can't follow directions.

what you should write is:::

to whom it may concern:
my grandfather, mr. XXX XXXX (fill in the x's with letters that pertain to your grandfather's name) was at Cornell when YOU decided you wanted a job there... i believe that it was his input that landed you the position. thus, you owe it to me to let me in your med-school... if not for my grandfather, then for your wife/husband...

i can't imagine that they'd turn you down.

p

if your grandfather's last name happened to be "Weill" then I'd definitely mention it. If not, just bluff. I'm sure they won't check it out and will just let you in with a full scholarship.

Originally posted by Adcadet
if your grandfather's last name happened to be "Weill" then I'd definitely mention it. If not, just bluff. I'm sure they won't check it out and will just let you in with a full scholarship.

For real, do some research on what background the "weill" last name falls into and say that your great-grandfather was the second cousin to the sister of the "weill" that the school is named after. So technically this "weill" guy is your uncle.
I mean you can say you knew the guy based on the 6 degrees of separation rule...:laugh:

Seriously, write ur essay if it i can do without this little info, then leave it out. You can bring it up during the interview.

It depends, did he graduate at the top of the class or was he the class clown? :p

did you grandfather get in because his granfather went to Cornell?