Cornell, Living in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I really enjoyed Cornell on my interview day but have some reservations especially about living in NYC. I'm trying to see if my budget would allow for me to go to NYC for residency. The "subsidized" housing is still super expensive and with the debt I have from medical school I really wonder if it's even feasible living in NYC. The residents I asked about this all say that its totally doable and they live comfortably but still.. 2k a month for a studio apt with 200+k debt on a resident salary seems hard to do. Does anyone on here have any thoughts about being a resident in NYC? (on a side note, do the benefits that we get, like medical/dental, covered or are we paying for it as well out of our salary)

On a different thought, having read through the past forums about Cornell, it seems like there is a lot of changes happening there right now what with the new program director and the new chair. I was wondering what everyone's thought about Cornell was and how it stood with other schools in the tristate area like sinai, columbia, nyu, penn, jeff, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

So I really enjoyed Cornell on my interview day but have some reservations especially about living in NYC. I'm trying to see if my budget would allow for me to go to NYC for residency. The "subsidized" housing is still super expensive and with the debt I have from medical school I really wonder if it's even feasible living in NYC. The residents I asked about this all say that its totally doable and they live comfortably but still.. 2k a month for a studio apt with 200+k debt on a resident salary seems hard to do. Does anyone on here have any thoughts about being a resident in NYC? (on a side note, do the benefits that we get, like medical/dental, covered or are we paying for it as well out of our salary)

On a different thought, having read through the past forums about Cornell, it seems like there is a lot of changes happening there right now what with the new program director and the new chair. I was wondering what everyone's thought about Cornell was and how it stood with other schools in the tristate area like sinai, columbia, nyu, penn, jeff, etc.
It's expensive. Don't let the residents kid you. You're probably really nice and bright, and they're telling you anything to get you there. Kidding (sort of...). Subsidized housing should not be a term Cornell throws around anyomore for it is actually possible to get an apartment in Manhattan on the open market for a similar amount...maybe not as close, but still. You'll struggle financially...like I did and I did it with dependents.

The medical insurance is excellent. My partner and child were both hospitalized (different times during residency)---ICU level care with all the fees....I did not pay a dime since they came through the (very busy) ER. Medications and PCP visits are pocket change. There is NO dental insurance (I had to wait until I was out of NYC and into fellowship to get a recurrent abscess sorted for good).

You will learn where to shop for milk, bread etc. You'll make it if you budget.

The residency director was brand new when I was there and got off to a really shaky start (came from the Midwest, was not super friendly to us at the start, standoffish etc.), but I've heard she's fine now and she clearly had/has our interest at heart when it came to the big things like NYC resident abuse. Dr. Mark Pecker (who was the residency director for over a decade) will become a favorite and is an amazing clinician.

Dirty secrets of Cornell as follows:
1. there is a MAJOR bottleneck getting into their apartments (and they hid that from me just like they might have from you). MANY people (myself included) could not move into the apartments until the third week of residency because the interns start before the PGY3s move out...then the apartments need to be repaired, painted etc. Major pain to commute 90 minutes each direction the first 3 weeks of PGY1 (the alternative they give you is to move into Helmsely which is like paying a hotel). I put in my apartment choice the day after matching. Some people move in on time...I didn't and I had lots of company in my class. Thankfully I started on an elective. Buyer beware. I did not like having to live away from my child for three weeks.
2. It's not as cushy as outsiders think. I got a TON of autonomy right away, but was exhausted my whole residency. Ancillary services are better than many other NYC hospitals (reliably, you will get AM labs and often PM labs if you have your act together), but expect to be drawing off-hours labs for PTT etc., placing IVs off hours, transporting patients at night etc.
3. If lab science floats your boat, it's pretty weak at Cornell, and you'll not do anything meaningful (MSKCC--different story altogether).
4. It's NYC, and some of the nurses and ancillary staff have 'tudes.

Hidden gems:
1. Cornell does not have the cache of Hopkins, UCSF etc., but you will be REALLY well-trained. I compressed my residency and, modestly, I was exceptionally well-trained and able to handle anything immediately after finishing residency. Several years later, I realize what they made me and I am thankful. We're maybe not the residents that can quote all the latest studies (I think I made it to grand rounds only a handful of times because of the pace of residency), but when the you-know-what hits the fan, we're all over it, and we're very confident.
2. Cornell is super-collegial. They accept smart, but generally very nice residents.
3. Everything is new and beautiful. Did you see the bathrooms in the department, complete with mouth wash, tooth brushes etc. to use on call nights?

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply! Do you feel like overall you made the right decision going to Cornell? Any regrets? Seems like you came out feeling very well prepared. Also, I don't know if you can answer this question for me but I'm not very familiar with the taxes in NYC if Cornell pays like 58k starting approximately how much do you think will it be after taxes? Anyone know?

P.S. It is a very nice hospital with nice facilities. Them toothbrushes lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! Do you feel like overall you made the right decision going to Cornell? Any regrets? Seems like you came out feeling very well prepared. Also, I don't know if you can answer this question for me but I'm not very familiar with the taxes in NYC if Cornell pays like 58k starting approximately how much do you think will it be after taxes? Anyone know?

P.S. It is a very nice hospital with nice facilities. Them toothbrushes lol.
Look up the tax situation online. There are calculators which will provide you with NY state and NYC tax brackets for a given income. Such online calculators are ubiquitous...

Be aware that those wonderful apartments Cornell brags about (and they are nice--just overpriced) also require (from memory) last month's rent and I believe 50% of first month's rent. I recall giving them a deposit of around 5 grand before even receiving my first intern pay check. Couple that with requiring movers to get into NYC (if you have a lot of furniture you'll need it), expect to have your savings depleted or expect to require a residency relocation loan.

I had major reservations about living in NYC and attended the interview sort of with a bad attitude. I expected them to be elitist Ivy League people and/or abrasive NYC people. I cringe as I type.. After living there, I attest that real NYC people are misunderstood. I found them to be phenomenally nice people--especially when it comes to children and protecting children. I came away from the interview day saying: "What an amazing program. Hard work, not too much hand-holding, nice residents. Too bad it's in NYC.". I ultimately am pleased with how things turned out, though I did take a residency relocation loan out of necessity banking I would need it to get into and out of NYC and I was right.

Cornell ultimately was toward the top of my list though I did rank one program I desired a little more based on location of the city and I did not match there. Cornell called me the night before my rank list was due and said they'd love to have me and I'd be a great match for Cornell. The program I ranked above Cornell wrote me a letter saying similar things. I ultimately matched at Cornell so, unlike the other place, I suppose I can say the admiration at least was reciprocally sincere. It's a solid program and will do you well. Expect it to cost you financially and expect them to work you extremely hard. In the end, it's residency and the first year or two will universally suck wherever you go. Many people lose sight of that. Also, your local state medical school will make you just as good an internist as the big programs in big cities. Too many people forget that last point, too.

I will put in my $0.02.

I went to Cornell as well. I liked the housing, it was comfortable. Cornell IM is right, it really is not subsidized. It's expensive, but I didn't have to take out any loans to live in NYC. However, it's a double-edged sword. The reason I didn't spend much money in NYC is because I had zero time to do so. Cornell is NOT a cush program, you will be worked to the bone. IM (as in most other programs) is the dumping ground for every subspecialty service at New York Presbyterian Hospital. Even worse is that there are many patients who fly into NYC from all over the world to get treated at MSKCC, and get turned away since they don't have a pre-established oncologist. They are sent directly across the street to our ED. This means that any given point your general medicine service will be clogged up with stage IV cancer disasters that you can't offer any treatment and it's absolutely mind-numbing and exhausting to continuously have end of life talks with patients you met the day prior.

New York Presbyterian is a dysfunctional hospital. This isn't entirely specific to NYPH itself, but more of a generalization of hospitals in New York City. Everything is unionized in New York (except physicians of course). This makes people EXTREMELY lazy. If a nurse/phlebotomy/etc can't do something on their first try, it will fall on the residents shoulders. However, one thing that is specific to NYPH is that you as a resident will spend an egregious amount of time "making beds for patients" ie having to move patients around yourself so that you can get a patient into a unit or the cardiac telemetry floor. The worst part is that the nurses will push back if they are busy leaving you and the patient in a bad situation. It still remains unclear to me as to why this is a residents responsibility. As for the patient's you will be taking care of: I disagree with Cornell IM. New Yorkers are extremely entitled, unthankful, and have a general lack of respect for physicians. Now this clearly isn't always the case, but it sure isn't the minority.

Now as for the program itself, I'm not going to go into great detail. I did not like Cornell. If I had to do it over again, I would have not chosen to go there. The MICU/critical care training was wonderful, everything else in my book was subpar. General medicine as I mentioned before is bogged down with end-stage cancer. Be warned, if you are interested in outpatient medicine, this is NOT the program for you. The outpatient clinic is an atrocity. I will say that Cornell did get me to where I wanted to go for fellowship. However, so would have a lot of other programs. One thing I will mention though is that I was there during the transition in program directors. Dr. Mark Pecker was an absolutely fantastic clinician and great leader. We were then put on probation because of work hour violations and politics played its part and he was asked to step down. Cornell then decided to go a different direction and hired the current program director. As a fair warning, she will treat you like a child and hardly commands any form of respect from the current residents. I will also say that should you end up at Cornell, you will know more internal medicine than your program director within 6 months.

If you want to live in NYC for residency, then you will have to deal with the nuances of hospital life in the city. I do think that most people, however, would be happier in the other three big programs in the city though.

Thanks for the responses guys! If there are any current residents at Cornell on here feel free to chime in!