Cornell Method?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking Biochemistry right now and using the Cornell-Note taking method. I'm not going to lie, up until now, my study techniques have been AWFUL. I used to take notes in class and never review them. When our test was slowly approaching, I would memorize facts and move on (Stupid, I know lol). Anyways, I have been using this method and LOVE it. It requires me to piece together information and "actively" learn the material.

This method is helpful, but it requires a little more time than I am used to. Will this technique be productive? I want to develop decent study techniques before I arrive to medical school, so I was hoping someone would be able to offer feedback, as to whether this method is too lengthy.

Members don't see this ad.

I have not heard of this, but am interested in hearing more!

I personally don't use it however I think it probably would be productive/effective since it is highly recommended.

Members don't see this ad :)
@DPTinthemaking15 Knowing the best method of note taking is going to likely be arbitrarily based on the score you receive at the end of the exam. Therefore, it isn't really about optimizing a study on biochemistry as it is exploiting nuances with how your class decides to approach biochemistry. The following are some considerations that some classes may decide to take in their introduction of Biochemistry and others may not focus at all with respect to the field. Note that the below example is used to illustrate a hypothetical example of how different study devices may be more effective than others when it comes to understanding the material for an exam. It is not intended to be de facto, rather a mock conceptualization of why having a single style approach to a course may not be the best approach.

A. How much do I need to know about amino acids?
  • Do I need to know all the R groups: white board.
  • Do I need to know categorization by polarity: mnemonic.
  • Do I need to know dissociation constants for protonation: rote memorization.
  • Do I need to understand zwitterion dissociation behaviors: sample problems and map charting.
  • Do I need to understand titration of an acid/base solution with respect to the dissociation of zwitterion behavior: sample problems and map charting.
B. How much do I need to know about enzymes?
  • Do I need to know about active energy, free energy, enthalpy, or entropy:
  • Do I need to know how to use Gibb's Free Energy Equation:
  • Do I need to understand how an enzyme is able to lower active energy requirements:
  • Do I need to map out Lineweaver Burke Plots or Michaelis Menten Dynamics:
  • Do I need to understand which phenomenon is being demonstrated by a particular Burke Plot or Menten diagram:
  • Do I need to be able to extrapolate values for Burke Plot or Menten diagrams based on a map diagram:
  • Do I need to be able to calculate values for Burke Plot or Menten diagrams from sample data:
  • Do I understand how aspects of an enzyme relate back to Lineweaver Burke or Michaelis Menten:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I did utilize the cornell notes method but ultimately switched to making Anki flashcards as I didn't like writing summaries and had trouble reviewing. I still do like the idea of writing short succinct notes though now I summarize them as flashcard in the form questions/answers, cloze deletions or image occlusion. I also found that spaced repetition makes it easier to stay on top of older content in cumulative classes plus you can also review it on your phone whenever you have time.

I personally don't use it however I think it probably would be productive/effective since it is highly recommended.

Thank you! It is working so far.
@DPTinthemaking15 Knowing the best method of note taking is going to likely be arbitrarily based on the score you receive at the end of the exam. Therefore, it isn't really about optimizing a study on biochemistry as it is exploiting nuances with how your class decides to approach biochemistry. The following are some considerations that some classes may decide to take in their introduction of Biochemistry and others may not focus at all with respect to the field. Note that the below example is used to illustrate a hypothetical example of how different study devices may be more effective than others when it comes to understanding the material for an exam. It is not intended to be de facto, rather a mock conceptualization of why having a single style approach to a course may not be the best approach.

A. How much do I need to know about amino acids?
  • Do I need to know all the R groups: white board.
  • Do I need to know categorization by polarity: mnemonic.
  • Do I need to know dissociation constants for protonation: rote memorization.
  • Do I need to understand zwitterion dissociation behaviors: sample problems and map charting.
  • Do I need to understand titration of an acid/base solution with respect to the dissociation of zwitterion behavior: sample problems and map charting.
B. How much do I need to know about enzymes?
  • Do I need to know about active energy, free energy, enthalpy, or entropy:
  • Do I need to know how to use Gibb's Free Energy Equation:
  • Do I need to understand how an enzyme is able to lower active energy requirements:
  • Do I need to map out Lineweaver Burke Plots or Michaelis Menten Dynamics:
  • Do I need to understand which phenomenon is being demonstrated by a particular Burke Plot or Menten diagram:
  • Do I need to be able to extrapolate values for Burke Plot or Menten diagrams based on a map diagram:
  • Do I need to be able to calculate values for Burke Plot or Menten diagrams from sample data:
  • Do I understand how aspects of an enzyme relate back to Lineweaver Burke or Michaelis Menten:

This is spot on! It looks like you need to be a jack-of-all-trades studier. Who knows, maybe I won't end up in the fetal position the first week of medical school after all :rofl:
I did utilize the cornell notes method but ultimately switched to making Anki flashcards as I didn't like writing summaries and had trouble reviewing. I still do like the idea of writing short succinct notes though now I summarize them as flashcard in the form questions/answers, cloze deletions or image occlusion. I also found that spaced repetition makes it easier to stay on top of older content in cumulative classes plus you can also review it on your phone whenever you have time.

Honestly, my biggest fear about Anki is not being able to annotate or draw certain pictures. For instance, I was comparing hemoglobin and an orange together to make sense of how things are arranged. If there was a program that I could draw pictures/write down equations, I would switch to Anki in a heartbeat.
I looked into it, but apparently it doesn't perform better than other note taking methods, and I'm too lazy to do all that formatting.

I surprised myself by using this method. All of my friends used to call me the lazy studier because I would try and find the quickest way out of doing things. Plus, I have awful handwriting, so trying to re-read everything is challenging for myself lol.
I have not heard of this, but am interested in hearing more!
Yes! I don't want to arrive the first week and realize my study habits are awful.

Honestly, my biggest fear about Anki is not being able to annotate or draw certain pictures. For instance, I was comparing hemoglobin and an orange together to make sense of how things are arranged. If there was a program that I could draw pictures/write down equations, I would switch to Anki in a heartbeat.

You can include pictures in Anki flash cards and I use Sketch to annotate them. For the math I spent an hour the other day learning Latex. Worth learning to make your cards easier to read.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't like taking notes regardless of what method is used. I just read from the powerpoint slides few times to understand the concepts thoroughly. Anki is great for memorizing stuff. And I just do a lot of practice problems in quantitative subjects, like chemistry, math and physics.

I surprised myself by using this method. All of my friends used to call me the lazy studier because I would try and find the quickest way out of doing things. Plus, I have awful handwriting, so trying to re-read everything is challenging for myself lol.

I actually tried it today. It definitely organizes the notes better. I used the left side for keywords and small pictures. It may not in itself cause students to perform better, but if your notes are more organized, it will at least streamline studying. I was using the guided note taking method, but the profs stopped posting the powerpoints ahead of time, so that's out the window.

If anything is pathway-heavy with lots of regulatory steps, then whiteboard all the way (orgo, cell bio, biochem, etc).

If it's brute force memory, I don't think Anki is worth it for undergrad classes. The ratio of time to make the cards to studying is not low enough. I think flipping through notes and doing practice questions is better for things like intro bio, physio, etc.

If you're taking notes during lecture, you might as well organize lecture content by header or some other method (like Cornell notes). You want to take your initial notes in a way that minimizes information reorganizing when it comes time to review.

In UG, I went to lecture, took good notes, and flipped through them to review. I practiced pathways and mechanisms with a whiteboard and did practice questions if available.

For medical school, I have to make Anki cards for Anatomy (first time using Anki), but I found that Anki is not as useful for biochem. One study strategy may not work all your classes. But in general, focus on the big picture and get the minutiae if you have time.

@DPTinthemaking15 Medical biochemistry can be a very different animal from general biochemistry. I presumed you were pre-med.
I'm sorry if I worded my sentence weird. I am still a lowly pre-med. This semester I am taking physics and biochemistry together, so it is difficult to make Anki notecards with the physics equations I am using.

I don't like taking notes regardless of what method is used. I just read from the powerpoint slides few times to understand the concepts thoroughly. Anki is great for memorizing stuff. And I just do a lot of practice problems in quantitative subjects, like chemistry, math and physics.
Sigh... I wish I could read from the powerpoint and understand things, but I always memorize the information and never retain it. It is a bad habit that I need to break.

I actually tried it today. It definitely organizes the notes better. I used the left side for keywords and small pictures. It may not in itself cause students to perform better, but if your notes are more organized, it will at least streamline studying. I was using the guided note taking method, but the profs stopped posting the powerpoints ahead of time, so that's out the window.
Yes! It is great at organizing notes, but it takes longer than I think is necessary. I was "attempting" to take notes on carbohydrates and had a mental meltdown today lol. The last sentence is my biggest fear preparing for med school. That or mandatory classes :lame:

But in general, focus on the big picture and get the minutiae if you have time.

Thank you for this! This has been my biggest challenge so far, because I focused on small details in my classes all throughout undergrad. I'm just hoping for a good MCAT score :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! It is great at organizing notes, but it takes longer than I think is necessary. I was "attempting" to take notes on carbohydrates and had a mental meltdown today lol. The last sentence is my biggest fear preparing for med school. That or mandatory classes :lame:
Yeah. I prepared about 3 pages in advance. I ran onto the fourth page and had to draw the formatting lines (I guess I could have drawn them in after). I found myself basically furiously taking notes the whole class, but I was able to throw in key words and the important points along with some simple pictures. I think being forced to summarize each page will help solidify it too.

We shall see.

I think what I might do next time is use three columns instead of two. I'll have one be small and just wide enough for one word or two on each line, then two wider columns to use for notes. The middle one will be for notes I take in class, and then the third one will be for added details that go more in depth so that I don't have to worry about getting those all down on the first go.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive Are you comparing anatomy coloring books with your classmates, colored pencil selection, and exchanging highlighter colors with classmates who have double or triple of a color that you don't have?
Because that is totally me.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive Are you comparing anatomy coloring books with your classmates, colored pencil selection, and exchanging highlighter colors with classmates who have double or triple of a color that you don't have?
Because that is totally me.

Lmao. No, I don't really share my notes with anyone. I don't refuse to, I just prefer to do most of my studying alone. I do like doing group sessions once or twice a week, because it can clue you in if you are lacking in some area without realizing it, plus teaching others helps solidify the information. I also don't use highlighters, as I don't use the textbooks at all.

I do use colored markers though. I don't really have any system to it, I just like writing in purple and green lol.

I do use colored markers though. I don't really have any system to it, I just like writing in purple and green lol.
latest

Just wanted to report back. I used Cornell method between last exam and this exam, and I aced this one (up from a 95% on first exam). Increase wasn’t dramatic as I was already in the A range, but I felt like I retained and understood the material a lot more even though it was much more detailed material. So I’m a supporter.

Just wanted to report back. I used Cornell method between last exam and this exam, and I aced this one (up from a 95% on first exam). Increase wasn’t dramatic as I was already in the A range, but I felt like I retained and understood the material a lot more even though it was much more detailed material. So I’m a supporter.
That is awesome! It is definitely a method I will continue use once I get into medical school. As for now, I'm using Anki for MCAT studies and it seems to work fairly well. Content review may be the death of me haha.

That is awesome! It is definitely a method I will continue use once I get into medical school. As for now, I'm using Anki for MCAT studies and it seems to work fairly well. Content review may be the death of me haha.

I used an Anki-esque thing, but honestly it doesn't do anything for me. The spaced repetition thing just doesn't work for me.

I never took notes in undergrad, and now I never take notes in med school. For some people they do work, but from what I have seen, many people just waste their time taking notes because they feel like they are supposed to, not because they use the notes. I ask a lot of people if they ever look at the notes again that they spend so much time writing and they usually say no, because who has time to review such low-yield material.

I used an Anki-esque thing, but honestly it doesn't do anything for me. The spaced repetition thing just doesn't work for me.
I use it because it creates a "schedule" for me. If I take hand-written notes I usually never go over them. This is something I need to get better at.
I never took notes in undergrad, and now I never take notes in med school. For some people they do work, but from what I have seen, many people just waste their time taking notes because they feel like they are supposed to, not because they use the notes. I ask a lot of people if they ever look at the notes again that they spend so much time writing and they usually say no, because who has time to review such low-yield material.

I took notes during undergrad and never reviewed them haha. My wife asked me the other day "How do you review your notes." My response: Well... I take notes, dump them at the last second and watched a butt-ton of Youtube videos. Now, I do "active" notes and make my own questions, plus the cornell method for specific cases. Maybe one day I will have a foolproof method :laugh:

I use it because it creates a "schedule" for me. If I take hand-written notes I usually never go over them. This is something I need to get better at.

That’s why I like the Cornell method. It forces you to summarize each page later that night or the next day, which means you have to go through each page.