Cornell Rotating Internship - Any Feedback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurevet1234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I am applying for rotating internships and am interested in applying to Cornell's program, but they will not let prospective interns talk to current interns and they do not interview so there really isn't a way to sus out what their program is really like. I know this is a red flag but I would like to know a bit more before deciding to apply to them or not. I was wondering if anyone here who went to Cornell either for their clinical year or as an intern would be willing to chat with me, either on this thread or over PM, about how their interns are treated?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn’t know they restricted this. Definitely not a great look.

From what I understand from the interns I’ve talked to, the rotating interns here have a good QOL compared to other teaching hospitals. A majority of the time is spent covering ER shifts with regular week-long rotations in specific departments scheduled throughout the year. I’m not certain of the ratio of ER to other rotations unfortunately. When on specific rotations, the interns always arrive and leave at reasonable times, pretty much on par with when the students arrive and leave every day (for example, for SA Med that’s 7:30am-6pm). ER shifts are varied and if you are on overnights, you will be on it for a whole week and then have a day or two off before changing to something else. Interns overall work pretty closely with residents and chiefs to review cases and collaborate on patient recommendations.

I just see no reason why you wouldn’t be able to ask an intern if you could give their contact info out since the school is refusing 😂

I didn’t know they restricted this. Definitely not a great look.

From what I understand from the interns I’ve talked to, the rotating interns here have a good QOL compared to other teaching hospitals. A majority of the time is spent covering ER shifts with regular week-long rotations in specific departments scheduled throughout the year. I’m not certain of the ratio of ER to other rotations unfortunately. When on specific rotations, the interns always arrive and leave at reasonable times, pretty much on par with when the students arrive and leave every day (for example, for SA Med that’s 7:30am-6pm). ER shifts are varied and if you are on overnights, you will be on it for a whole week and then have a day or two off before changing to something else. Interns overall work pretty closely with residents and chiefs to review cases and collaborate on patient recommendations.
Thank you so much! Any insight is helpful haha

I will say that while talking to current interns in important because programs can change year to year, in my opinion you’re probably more likely to get a useful critique from people who did the internship a year or two prior. Those people will have no (or less anyway) fear of repercussions about anything critical they might say plus they’ve had time to reflect on the experience as a whole now that they’re not in the day-to-day suckage if an internship. Most schools post bios of house officers so can you go through your school’s website and look for people who were at Cornell or ask some of the current residents if they know anyone who did an internship at Cornell recently?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all - I am applying for rotating internships and am interested in applying to Cornell's program, but they will not let prospective interns talk to current interns and they do not interview so there really isn't a way to sus out what their program is really like. I know this is a red flag but I would like to know a bit more before deciding to apply to them or not. I was wondering if anyone here who went to Cornell either for their clinical year or as an intern would be willing to chat with me, either on this thread or over PM, about how their interns are treated?

Thanks!
Hey, PM me your interests and I'll pick the intern with the closest interests and ask if they can contact you :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 user