Cornell Waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AD2020

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how many people are usually on the Cornell waitlist and how many usually get in off of the waitlist each year? Also, when do they usually start accepting people off of the waitlist? When I interviewed there one of the students I talked to said he got in off of the waitlist after he had already sent in his housing papers for UCSD, so I know I could be waiting into August.

Members don't see this ad.

i think cornell is relatively conservative with the number of people they accept outright and end up taking about 20 people off the waitlist. that's just a number i've heard tossed around. i imagine most movement will come after FA packages come out/May15th roles around. the revisit weekend is april16th - maybe people will withdraw after meeting indianboy ;)...

Yeah, my student tour guide was going to UCSD I think, then got in on the waitlist. I pray that I can follow in her footsteps.

I wrote an updated letter expressing that Cornell is my first choice, I hope someone reads it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many are placed on the waitlist? Over 200? Around 200? Under 200?

+pity+

kwanny, I'm not sure but it seems like many people got rejections too... so it can't be too big. my guess is more like 300 though.

my reasoning... well here are the stats from last year per the US News 2005 data:

Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 5,307 777 223 101
In-state: 1,200 204 62 39
Out-of-state: 4,107 573 161 62
Women: 2,709 434 137 54
Minorities: 2,405 432 131 51
International: 135 6 2 0

so i'm guessing based on SDN responses that they have accepted about 200 so far, waitlisted 250-300 and rejected the rest?

It doesn't sound like they put too many on the wait list:

Each year in early March, a number of students are offered places on the wait list. If you are chosen for the wait list, we will notify you by mail. Please let us know promptly whether you would like to accept the position on the wait list, or instead to withdraw your application.

The wait list is not ranked. As positions become available in the entering class, we offer acceptance to students on the wait list on an individual basis. Since many students who eventually matriculate are accepted via the wait list, this should not be construed as an unfavorable decision by the Committee.

You may update your application file while holding a place on the wait list by sending transcripts with your latest course work or materials that list new accomplishments.

I called them up, and they told me that about 200 people were waitlisted. not bad... compared to 600 people who were waitlisted at columbia.

kwanny said:
I called them up, and they told me that about 200 people were waitlisted. not bad... compared to 600 people who were waitlisted at columbia.

WOOHOO that's great news. :D

post deleted

Last edited:
absolutezero said:
hey kwanny, is that true about 600 people being waitlisted at columbia? that's completely crazy. why the heck would they waitlist so many? where did you hear that? that's like half of all who interview..

It does seem high... they interview alot of people but there's no way that many people will ever make it in... that's just torturing people's heads.

i think columbia is pretty famous for waitlisting almost everyone. not sure if this is true or not but at least that's the rep they have.

Members don't see this ad :)
raincrew said:
i think columbia is pretty famous for waitlisting almost everyone. not sure if this is true or not but at least that's the rep they have.

I guess its like Stanford, they don't want to say no for some reason but what's the point of a list that never moves past a few people???

thanks for the info-

i guess cornell might've sent out more waitlists but "only" 200 decided they wanted to be on the list.

let's hope there's a lot of movement this year- stinks that it seems like it'll still be tough to get off.

absolutezero said:
hey kwanny, is that true about 600 people being waitlisted at columbia? that's completely crazy. why the heck would they waitlist so many? where did you hear that? that's like half of all who interview..

I'm pretty sure it's true. This is the info that I got when I called Dr. Frantz:

Frantz: We give straight acceptances, which "slightly" exceed the size of next year's class. Most people hold on to them until May 15th. From previous years, we've taken anywhere from half a dozen people up to two dozen people from the waitlist.

Me: So how many people were put on the waitlist this year?

Frantz: There's quite a lot, but we tend to pick those who show special interest in coming to Columbia and clear indicate that Columbia's their first choice.

Me: Is it true that most interviewees who didn't get straight acceptance letters get placed on the waitlist?

Frantz: Yes. We do reject some interviewees, but most get placed on the waitlist. Please keep on updating. I'll keep you in mind.

--->I mean, he didn't actually give me that "600" number directly, but just from the fact that around 900 were interviewed this year, and 200 were given straight acceptance letters, doesn't 600 sound reasonable?

kwanny said:
I'm pretty sure it's true. This is the info that I got when I called Dr. Frantz:

Frantz: We give straight acceptances, which "slightly" exceed the size of next year's class. Most people hold on to them until May 15th. From previous years, we've taken anywhere from half a dozen people up to two dozen people from the waitlist.

Yeah, the 600 number sounds about right... but the disheartening part is that some years they only take half a dozen! That's six people. Looks like it's time to focus on my waitlist position at Duke instead of Columbia. :laugh:

kwanny said:

?

He is so full of it. They either

a) give out a # of straight acceptances which more than "slightly" exceeds the size of the class
b) don't accept 6 people any year off the waitlist(a ton more)

Something has to give, because 90% of the people that get accepted by columbia don't matriculate there. I know 2 gunners right now who withdrew because they got in at Stanford and Harvard.

TheFlash said:
Yeah, the 600 number sounds about right... but the disheartening part is that some years they only take half a dozen! That's six people. Looks like it's time to focus on my waitlist position at Duke instead of Columbia. :laugh:

Flash,

Keep me updated how it flows with Duke. I think you have a solid shot of getting in.

JH

JohnHolmes said:
Flash,

Keep me updated how it flows with Duke. I think you have a solid shot of getting in.

JH
Definitely, I'm going to formulate my thoughts over the next week. I might end up not pursuing any waitlists at all if I get a decent fin aid package from MSSM or Pitt, but everything's up in the air still.

Ok, no more hijacking, back to Cornell. :D

bump...

Last year (yes I did a Cornell WL search) they started taking people off 5/13...

southbelle said:
He is so full of it. They either

a) give out a # of straight acceptances which more than "slightly" exceeds the size of the class
b) don't accept 6 people any year off the waitlist(a ton more)

Something has to give, because 90% of the people that get accepted by columbia don't matriculate there. I know 2 gunners right now who withdrew because they got in at Stanford and Harvard.
90%? Southbelle, I hope it was a typo on your part...you don't really believe that 90% of acceptees don't attend, do you?

Lux Aeterna said:
bump...

Last year (yes I did a Cornell WL search) they started taking people off 5/13...

Thanks, I recalled 5/17 as the date when I did my search. I'm excited about the end of the waiting drama regardless of the outcome.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Hey, so hardly anyone on SDN that got in by end of March is actually going to Cornell right...

BaseballFan, vmiskin, who else?

Eraserhead said:
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Hey, so hardly anyone on SDN that got in by end of March is actually going to Cornell right...

BaseballFan, vmiskin, who else?

Maybe just the two of us?

doesn't seem like they accepted too many people right out (or they just don't come on sdn).

let's hope that's the case in the least.

has anyone emailed deans montano/bardes?

Weill Cornell is an awesome school. The curriculum rocks (as long as you are self motivated to prepare for the boards), the location is great, and the opportunities are innumerable. Let's see that list move!

someguy81 said:
doesn't seem like they accepted too many people right out (or they just don't come on sdn).

let's hope that's the case in the least.

has anyone emailed deans montano/bardes?

I did email Ms. Montano about 3 weeks ago and she didn't have any information at that point. She did say most offers are typically made before the end of June, which is not really news. I bet if you contact them now they probably know more. It seems like many people on SDN withdrew from the WL too which is good.

it seemed like a lot of the acceptances were by email last year right?
man...this process is nerve-wracking.

I have a good friend at Cornell, and she said that people from her college ended up getting into Cornell even through late July and early August...so all of you who want to get in off the wait list should really stay on the wait list until the very end.

Also, re Columbia P&S...I REALLY don't think there are 600 people on the wait list...I've heard 350....

someguy81 said:
it seemed like a lot of the acceptances were by email last year right?
man...this process is nerve-wracking.

I just got the e-mail today. They sure move fast after the 15th! I'll be withdrawing to open up a spot for you guys.
edit: whoops... it's only the 14th... was looking at my april calendar page :p
Good luck everyone! :clap:

My inbox is empty. God, I thought my checking-obsessively-every-5-seconds days were over. But here I am, back at it.

Bendrix said:
My inbox is empty. God, I thought my checking-obsessively-every-5-seconds days were over. But here I am, back at it.

Its March 15 all over again.

Good luck everyone :luck:

Oh don't stress too much, I'm sure they're just starting to get rolling. I just thought it would be encouraging to hear that the list is starting to move... definitely didn't mean to raise anxiety levels. :D

GB, congrats on an extra helping of success! I'm wondering if you would mind sharing what, if any, communication you've had with Cornell's admissions office since you were waitlisted. I've only sent a letter of continuing interest, and I'm wondering if that's enough...

I wonder if sending Montano flowers and Bardes a bottle of whiskey would be enough to push me over the top?

Bendrix said:
GB, congrats on an extra helping of success! I'm wondering if you would mind sharing what, if any, communication you've had with Cornell's admissions office since you were waitlisted. I've only sent a letter of continuing interest, and I'm wondering if that's enough...

Very little, actually. I got an e-mail from Montano at the end of April (before I heard from Penn) asking if I was still interested, and I sent her a quick e-mail back that I was. Other than that, no letters or phone calls. I really hope that those of you waiting for Cornell get good news soon!!!

Grumpy Bear said:
Very little, actually. I got an e-mail from Montano at the end of April (before I heard from Penn) asking if I was still interested, and I sent her a quick e-mail back that I was. Other than that, no letters or phone calls. I really hope that those of you waiting for Cornell get good news soon!!!

Wow, they must really want you. They KNOW I'm interested though, so the email would be pointless.

Do you guys think that they look at what other schools you have on your acceptance list? Like since GB got into Penn, do they think, well would she still want to come here?

Did anyone else heard anything today? (Eraserhead - sorry in advance for freaking you out by bumping the thread.)

I just got in off of the waitlist; I'm pretty surprised...

-Ice

Congrats, Ice! I feel like I've seen you post on other waitlist threads. Where does Cornell rank for you?

No worries, as long as there is still a chance I'm happy to wait.

Bendrix said:
Congrats, Ice! I feel like I've seen you post on other waitlist threads. Where does Cornell rank for you?

Bendrix,

Honestly, I really never considered cornell, but I think I'll look at the financial packages and make a decision (I'm holding Michigan right now).

The waitlist I really want to get off of is Yale...:(

Good luck, and I'll let you know if I withdraw from Cornell! :)

-Ice

ice_23 said:
Bendrix,

Honestly, I really never considered cornell, but I think I'll look at the financial packages and make a decision (I'm holding Michigan right now).

The waitlist I really want to get off of is Yale...:(

Good luck, and I'll let you know if I withdraw from Cornell! :)

-Ice

Cornell's aid is going to beat Michigans. I'm sure of that.

I hope you get into Yale! :luck:

Just so people can get a better gauge of how much waitlist movement there was, I was also accepted off the WL today. Got the email this morning. Good luck to everyone waiting.

Tech - a hearty congrats! So in the spirit of scorekeeping, I have to ask (and you have to feel free to ignore me) - do you see yourself moving to East 68th Street?