Cornell Waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bendrix said:
Tech - a hearty congrats! So in the spirit of scorekeeping, I have to ask (and you have to feel free to ignore me) - do you see yourself moving to East 68th Street?
69th street :p

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I also got an email yesterday morning! :D I am definitely accepting the offer. The only other school I would go to over Cornell would be Penn, but I don't think my chances of getting in off their waitlist is that high. In any case, in terms of correspondence, I sent them two letters -- 1 about this project I did with teaching kids about neuroscience and another about Phi Beta Kappa.

Eraserhead, I don't know much about Michigan's finaid, but why do you say that Cornell's aid will definitely beat Michigans? Does Cornell's financial aid have a good reputation?

A Cornell grad's debt load is around 90K, which is lower than the averages for both private and public med schools, I believe. While the 90K is obviously an average and has outliers, they have a pretty solid fin/aid program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, everyone, congratulations!

I hope they aren't done with waitlist movement, though.....! :oops: It seems like with Cornell there is a flurry of activity in May and then hardly anything after.

Lux Aeterna said:
Wow, everyone, congratulations!

I hope they aren't done with waitlist movement, though.....! :oops: It seems like with Cornell there is a flurry of activity in May and then hardly anything after.

Ditto that.

And Cornell's aid is excellent. Check out the website for the info. The grants are pretty big if you need them.

Bendrix said:
Tech - a hearty congrats! So in the spirit of scorekeeping, I have to ask (and you have to feel free to ignore me) - do you see yourself moving to East 68th Street?

Absolutely, unless I move off another WL, but that doesn't look likely.

missmod said:
Hi everyone,
I also got an email yesterday morning! :D I am definitely accepting the offer. The only other school I would go to over Cornell would be Penn, but I don't think my chances of getting in off their waitlist is that high. In any case, in terms of correspondence, I sent them two letters -- 1 about this project I did with teaching kids about neuroscience and another about Phi Beta Kappa.

Eraserhead, I don't know much about Michigan's finaid, but why do you say that Cornell's aid will definitely beat Michigans? Does Cornell's financial aid have a good reputation?
congratz :D

And I can tell you first hand, the financial aid here is excellent. if you've got all your stuff turned in already you'll get a financial aid package very soon from Gladys Laden.

Did I see any of you n00bs at second look weekend a few weeks ago (obviously not the people who were waitlisted)? identify yourself :thumbup:

I'm thinking about 8-10 people total (SDNers + nonSDNers) got the email on Friday... but I hope it is less :D

Anyway...No news here, incessant e-mail checking is driving me nuts.

you mean people outside of SDN get into med-school too??! inconceivable!

bufer1 said:
you mean people outside of SDN get into med-school too??! inconceivable!

Gasp! No it cannot be!

We are more devoted dammit!

I'm trying not to be obsessive about email checking today, since I figure that Cornell won't exactly be rolling out acceptances day-by-day. I'd love to know in what sort of time-frame Cornell was asking for a respose to their Friday offers. Anyone care to share?

I'm curious about that, too. How long will it take them to put together financial aid for those people just off the WL? I read somewhere that WL turnaround time is maybe a week? Not sure though....

Members don't see this ad :)
Eeek. Yeah I don't know. I think we should form an anti-email/SDN checking support group though. I'm sure Cornell is pretty relaxed about letting people have time to decide.

Eraserhead said:
I think we should form an anti-email/SDN checking support group though.

I think the first step is admitting you have a problem. I noticed (oh so long ago) that Cornell rolled out their interview offers exactly once a week. I'm now operating under the totally unjustifiable assumption that they'll do the same one-in-seven-days thing with waitlist movement. That means no obsessing until Friday. At least about Cornell.

Bendrix, would you go to cornell over hopkins (i see that you are on the upper tier for hopkins)?

-Ice

Bendrix said:
I think the first step is admitting you have a problem. I noticed (oh so long ago) that Cornell rolled out their interview offers exactly once a week. I'm now operating under the totally unjustifiable assumption that they'll do the same one-in-seven-days thing with waitlist movement. That means no obsessing until Friday. At least about Cornell.

OK what's the third step???

Nah, seriously, you are right. I was lucky enough to get the interview email right away and nearly exploded with excitement. If they are truly "re-reviewing" people its going to take weeks though for all the emails to trickle out.

On a side note, I just asked this on another thread but is orientation the last day they would call someone or the first day of classes? I know this is obsessive but I really do need to know for sure.

Bendrix said:
I'd love to know in what sort of time-frame Cornell was asking for a respose to their Friday offers. Anyone care to share?

They gave us two weeks, but said we could take longer if waiting for financial aid information. Not sure how long that is supposed to take, but I think that if someone were to already have all of their financial aid forms in, it could be pretty quick.

It's a good question, Ice. Today the answer is yes. Early last week it was no.

By the way, is the 23 in your name in honor of Ryne Sandberg?

Eraserhead said:
On a side note, I just asked this on another thread but is orientation the last day they would call someone or the first day of classes?

I think the rule is that once a student begins orientation at one school, he's off limits to all other schools. So the end for this waitlist game isn't Cornell's orientation, but the orientation for whatever other school you're holding.

And GB - Thanks for the info!

Bendrix said:
It's a good question, Ice. Today the answer is yes. Early last week it was no.

By the way, is the 23 in your name in honor of Ryne Sandberg?

LOL well actually it's in honor of the other famous 23 from my city. ;)

-Ice

Well, it had to be one or the other. Ryno was my hero growing up.

Ice, I just realized that you're also on the upper tier at Hopkins, so I'll throw your question back at you.

Bendrix said:
Ice, I just realized that you're also on the upper tier at Hopkins, so I'll throw your question back at you.

Ice- Go to Hopkins! :)

Is there really nothing left to say?

I hope Eraserhead gets off Cornell's waitlist. He deserves it for fretting so much. :)

No emails from Cornell this week?

noo...maybe they gave the people they let in first 10 days to decide i.e. till Monday, so they won't be sending anything new out until then???

Dear Cornell admissions office

I know I hold no sway as a lowly med student, but I beseech you to please let Eraserhead/DrK in already for crying out loud. It's rare a school can find someone as enthusiastic about it as he is for us, and I'm sure he won't dissappoint you. Its not that hard, just say "admit" :thumbup:

Sincerely,
DW
WMC MSI
:luck:

DW said:
Dear Cornell admissions office

I know I hold no sway as a lowly med student, but I beseech you to please let Eraserhead/DrK in already for crying out loud. It's rare a school can find someone as enthusiastic about it as he is for us, and I'm sure he won't dissappoint you. Its not that hard, just say "admit" :thumbup:

Sincerely,
DW
WMC MSI
:luck:

I LOVE YOU DUDE!

Can you just hit the print button, organize a petition, pass it out in lecture, and submit to Dean Bardes next week? ;)

Yo, why is it that they dun wanna speak to us directly? "they" meaning the deans... and directors...

kwanny said:
Yo, why is it that they dun wanna speak to us directly? "they" meaning the deans... and directors...

Because there isn't a nice way to say, "you have no chance in hell, eraserhead."

Northwestern's deans also don't talk to applicants who have active applications...I guess they don't wanna give out too much

Well its 4:31 PST, so I guess that means we have to wait till next week for more emails.

If they sent most emails last Friday with a two week deadline, hopefully they will offer more spaces next Friday! Here's to not giving up hope! :thumbup:

My (almost) completely baseless concept of how this is done (except that I know I was given 14 days from May 14):

May 13: Throw WL applications up in air. Based on how many no's already received, offer spots to first X applicants whose files land face up.
May 14: Email/mail acceptances to these people and give them 14 days to accept.
May 27: Throw remaining WL applications up in air. Accept the next Y applicants (where Y is the number of no's received on May 15 + no's from May 14 acceptances - 1) whose files land face up.
May 28: Email/mail acceptances to Eraserhead + the Y applicants.
Repeat in 2-week cycles until class is full.

They do seem to like Fridays. Anyone seen Office Space? Perhaps it offers the reason.

Hey, anyone who has their screename named after David Lynch's seminal classic Eraserhead should get admitted. Hands down.

Mister Bentley Fonsworth
Class of 2007

snoopdizzle said:
Hey, anyone who has their screename named after David Lynch's seminal classic Eraserhead should get admitted. Hands down.

Mister Bentley Fonsworth
Class of 2007

Well I have the support of SDN Cornell students, what about the Ad comm?>

snoopdizzle said:
David Lynch's seminal classic Eraserhead

Better, you think, than Blue Velvet?

Blue Velvet is my favorite, followed by Mulholland Drive. Eraserhead, however is more fun as a screenname. I wouldn't watch that DVD over and over again :)

You know, I could have written that post word-for-word.

So...has anyone received one of those are-you-still-interested emails lately?

Hey Eraserhead!

I totally know how you feel as I am waiting on my dream school, UPenn. :love: I am rooting and praying for you man. You have as much love for Cornell as I have for UPenn and for that I admire and applaud you. I wish you the best in getting off that waitlist. You definitely deserve it! :)

DrJ2B said:
Hey Eraserhead!

I totally know how you feel as I am waiting on my dream school, UPenn. :love: I am rooting and praying for you man. You have as much love for Cornell as I have for UPenn and for that I admire and applaud you. I wish you the best in getting off that waitlist. You definitely deserve it! :)

Thanks DrJ2B... I really hope you get in too. Sometimes I think its a lost cause though. I told them I would wait until August, but at some point I have to buy a car, move, and sign a housing contract. Grrr. At least your two choices are (somewhat) nearby.

Hey guys,

I just wanna let you know that the waitlist is still moving. I know someone who got in yesterday (Thursday) through email. It also gives 2 weeks for decision. So I guess the hypothesis about Cornell sending acceptance once every 2 weeks might be true....good luck everybody!

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh :mad:

babyface said:
Hey guys,

I just wanna let you know that the waitlist is still moving. I know someone who got in yesterday (Thursday) through email. It also gives 2 weeks for decision. So I guess the hypothesis about Cornell sending acceptance once every 2 weeks might be true....good luck everybody!