Cornell Waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's moving

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I've fallen in love with the school I'm holding onto right now, so this is going to be a very difficult decision. Cornell was originally my top choice, sort of tied with Harvard. Fortunately, I won't have that decision to make! ;)

I'll be checking out the pbl and campus, looking at the financial aid award, and talking to some students. I should have a good idea if this is THE place for me by the end of next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
dang it... i feel totally worthless not hearing anything from Cornell... do i even have a chance in hell??

i feel the pain of all you waiting to hear from cornell--it's the only waitlist i haven't been able to give up on.
so can we get it confirmed from any accepted people that you all got an "are-you-still-interested" email beforehand? that might help those of us no word figure out how slim our chances really are...

mem141 said:
i feel the pain of all you waiting to hear from cornell--it's the only waitlist i haven't been able to give up on.
so can we get it confirmed from any accepted people that you all got an "are-you-still-interested" email beforehand? that might help those of us no word figure out how slim our chances really are...

I never got an email from Cornell of that sort. They basically just sent an email on May 14 that said I was accepted. I wrote them 2 update letters, but no outright letter of intent either.

I didn't get a "tell us you're interested" email before I was accepted from the waitlist.

Point: There is always hope. Chin up.

mem141 said:

K I'm awake now....

Anyone know if the waitlist is done moving for now (by talking with the deans, etc.)?

Hopefully there will be some trickle down movement Friday... :luck:

bump...

any more news??

How many of the people who got offers are going?? SuperRob, ice_23, etc.?

Eraserhead said:
BUMP... its almost been 2 weeks! :luck:

Eraserhead, you need to stop bumping. Everytime I see this thread with you as the most recent update, I check to see if you got in, and it kills me to see it's just a bump. We're all rooting for you. :luck:

-tech

Members don't see this ad :)
Tech04 said:
Eraserhead, you need to stop bumping. Everytime I see this thread with you as the most recent update, I check to see if you got in, and it kills me to see it's just a bump. We're all rooting for you. :luck:

-tech

I just figure there might be some news. Like what happened to the people that got in two weeks ago? Or does anyone know if there is going to be anymore movement at all?

Eraserhead said:
I just figure there might be some news. Like what happened to the people that got in two weeks ago? Or does anyone know if there is going to be anymore movement at all?

If people got in two weeks ago on SDN, and SDN is a microcosm of the whole applicant pool, then there should be more movement on Friday, no?

Tech04 said:
If people got in two weeks ago on SDN, and SDN is a microcosm of the whole applicant pool, then there should be more movement on Friday, no?

Not if all those people accepted their offers... I figure with each 2 week cycle more and more people would hold 'em right? Cornell really doesn't have that many spare seats to deal with....

Eraserhead said:
Not if all those people accepted their offers... I figure with each 2 week cycle more and more people would hold 'em right? Cornell really doesn't have that many spare seats to deal with....
I agree. I think this week is our last best chance.

Bendrix said:
I agree. I think this week is our last best chance.

Yeah, if not this week, probably never....

Its hard to type with my fingers crossed.

Tech04 said:

-tech

lol. Yeah, that's what i've been thinking as well. :laugh:

On the other hand, did everyone who got in off the waitlist got an email from them? Or was it just a letter? :oops:

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this will make much of a difference, but I got into Penn Med today off the waitlist and I'll be turning down my spot at Cornell. It was hard to turn down such a good school in a great city with such a great fin aid package... but now I'll be back in Philly with my boyfriend!

I hope everything works out for you guys... and remember, don't give up hope because I almost did with Penn and now I am the happiest person on my block. Probably. hehe. :D

missmod said:
Hi everyone,

I don't know if this will make much of a difference, but I got into Penn Med today off the waitlist and I'll be turning down my spot at Cornell. It was hard to turn down such a good school in a great city with such a great fin aid package... but now I'll be back in Philly with my boyfriend!

I hope everything works out for you guys... and remember, don't give up hope because I almost did with Penn and now I am the happiest person on my block. Probably. hehe. :D

Yay! Congrats MissMod!

Eraserhead said:
Yay! Congrats MissMod!

Good luck, E-man! It's only a matter of time! Are you willing to pay all of the extra money to be at Cornell?

Spitting Camel said:
Good luck, E-man! It's only a matter of time! Are you willing to pay all of the extra money to be at Cornell?

Even if Cornell's tuition were like BU's and even if they were unable to offer any grants, yes.

Apologies for the newsless bump, but did any emails go out today?

It doesn't seem like any did.

Do you think admissions will be working tomorrow? Its only a federal holiday right?

I got nothing today. Anybody else?

i called a couple wks ago and they just said they "fill the spots as they open" and that there's not much else they could say. not sure if calling now would reveal any more info.

not to sound pessimistic, but i'm pretty doubtful about my chances right now.

have you emailed dean montano? she doesn't seem to reply to any requests concerning wlist movement information either;

someguy81 said:
i called a couple wks ago and they just said they "fill the spots as they open" and that there's not much else they could say. not sure if calling now would reveal any more info.

not to sound pessimistic, but i'm pretty doubtful about my chances right now.

have you emailed dean montano? she doesn't seem to reply to any requests concerning wlist movement information either;

Yes, I have and she did respond initially, but I was brave and asked for a bit more information to which she did not reply. Its understandable though, I guess they really just have no idea... I'm sure there are 101 offers out...

Dean Montano emailed me Friday... this might save everyone some time and energy... I don't know, it made me feel a bit better to actually hear a bit about what is going on:

"First, it's never too late to update the admissions committee with recent accomplishments.
Second, I wish I could give you definite answers regarding the wait list, but it is really out of my hands.
I can tell you anecdotes, like a current second year student whom we reached on his cell phone when he was already driving from the west coast to another medical school in the east. He just changed directions and drove here.
It is difficult to explain how the list works and why we can't determine anything in advance. Almost on a daily basis, we find out that one of our accepted applicants has been offered a place somewhere else. Then we have to wait until the individual makes up his/her mind as to the new offer. If we have to make an offer, it can happen that the next person on our list is no longer interested in coming here, so we go down. Or, if he/she is still interested, we have to wait until financial aid is in place and the person makes a definitive decision. And so it goes on until the first day of orientation.
Right now, though the class is full, we have 4 people with multiple offers and we are waiting to hear from them. "

Wait... so the waitlist is ranked then? friggin a...

Well, there's now one fewer person on the Cornell waitlist. After reassessing my priorities, I decided to withdraw. But Eraserhead, I'll still bump this thread from time to time, just to keep you company.

Bendrix said:
Well, there's now one fewer person on the Cornell waitlist. After reassessing my priorities, I decided to withdraw. But Eraserhead, I'll still bump this thread from time to time, just to keep you company.

Cool thanks for letting me know!

Good luck with NYU (right?)!

I'm still waiting!

bump...

Oh yeah... I called today and found out that the class is full now and the waitlist is moving "very slowly"... bleh...

kwanny said:
bump...

Oh yeah... I called today and found out that the class is full now and the waitlist is moving "very slowly"... bleh...

Did they say if they are anticipating any withdrawals in the upcoming weeks?

And how often have you guys been sending updates? Is there any point now?

Lux Aeterna said:
Did they say if they are anticipating any withdrawals in the upcoming weeks?

And how often have you guys been sending updates? Is there any point now?

Ms. Montano said its never too late to send updates, but I'm not anymore because I really don't have anything tangible to send besides my ever-desparate I love NY pleas.

I wonder if ANYONE has been admitted during June or July period? Anyone know about this?

Eraserhead said:
I wonder if ANYONE has been admitted during June or July period? Anyone know about this?

Hey, they admitted someone earlier this week, but they think the class is pretty much set and will not change.

The lady I talked to still claimed the waitlist was "unranked" (which I don't believe since Montano told you they go down a list) and that there were still 150 people left, which doesn't quite add up since I was told there were 150 on the list to begin with a few months ago. I guess they are trained to give the same response.

Oh well. I'm gonna give up.... I gotta move to Michigan in 2 weeks (I'm cutting it close, the weekend before orientation). I sent a bunch of LOIs, updates on being published and presenting a poster, wrote them about how I would give up partial scholarship money at Michigan (yes, being in NYC was turning out to be very important to me) to go to Cornell, and I guess they just do not want me. Might as well go to the school that dug me in the first place.

But good luck to you Eraserhead. You have another month left to hear! I'm sure there has to be at least a spot or two that will open up in Aug.

Lux Aeterna said:
Hey, they admitted someone earlier this week, but they think the class is pretty much set and will not change.

The lady I talked to still claimed the waitlist was "unranked" (which I don't believe since Montano told you they go down a list) and that there were still 150 people left, which doesn't quite add up since I was told there were 150 on the list to begin with a few months ago. I guess they are trained to give the same response.

Oh well. I'm gonna give up.... I gotta move to Michigan in 2 weeks (I'm cutting it close, the weekend before orientation). I sent a bunch of LOIs, updates on being published and presenting a poster, wrote them about how I would give up scholarship money at Michigan (yes, being in NYC was turning out to be very important to me) to go to Cornell, and I guess they just do not want me. Might as well go to the school that dug me in the first place.

But good luck to you Eraserhead. You have another month left to hear! I'm sure there has to be at least a spot or two that will open up in Aug.

Bleh. yeah she never said 150, i think that was my estimate. Did she tell you 150?

Yeah she did, both times (back when the WL started, and this week when I talked to her).

NYC rocks....oh well, I guess for all we unlucky ones, we still have a chance during our residency app.

Lux Aeterna said:
Yeah she did, both times (back when the WL started, and this week when I talked to her).

Yikes. I guess its all just PR PR PR... say the same thing to everyone to appease them and avoid getting any hopes up at the same time. At least she writes and talks though, she could just ignore the peons.