Blinky_1

Blinky
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2004
Los Angeles
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi everyone, I just got a letter (snail mail) saying that I was put on the Cornell waitlist. They say their wait list isn't ranked and that from past experiences, waitlist candidates are accepted between May 1st and mid-August. All I have to say is this, if you know you're not going to Cornell and have been accepted at a place you want to go to more, please drop your acceptance so that people in the same position as me don't have to wait around so long. :(

On another note, anyone know how many people they've taken off the waitlist in the past?

Or here's another one....how many people do they put on the waitlist.

Rzarecta

Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Blinky_1 said:
Hi everyone, I just got a letter (snail mail) saying that I was put on the Cornell waitlist. They say their wait list isn't ranked and that from past experiences, waitlist candidates are accepted between May 1st and mid-August. All I have to say is this, if you know you're not going to Cornell and have been accepted at a place you want to go to more, please drop your acceptance so that people in the same position as me don't have to wait around so long. :(

On another note, anyone know how many people they've taken off the waitlist in the past?

One of my friends is on the wait list at Cornell, and he called for further information. He was told that he was near the top (but not the top) of the list. They then told him that he had little if any chance of actually getting into Cornell. I don't know how many people are actually on the list, but you may want to call to see where you are on it. Also, Cornell accepts VERY few people from the list, and a few years ago I believe they did not have to go to it at all. I imagine they at most take a handful of people. My friend is a killer applicant, and they told him he basically had no chance. Anyways, call since they seem to be quite frank about the list.

Realest

Rowdy Chik
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2004
New York
Status
Wow. This is completely different info from what I heard during the tour from current med students. They said Cornell puts about 2/3 of people on the waitlist, and the best thing you can do is to write a letter of interest to the dean. Both of them had gotten off the waitlist and they knew many people in their class who were waitlisted as well. In any case, it's prolly less stagnant than waitlists at other schools, (eg. Columbia :mad: ) since they don't interview as many applicants in the first place.

About the Ads
OP
Blinky_1

Blinky_1

Blinky
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2004
Los Angeles
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Blinky_1 said:

One more thing...it says in their letter that the class if filled up already. Doh!!!!!!

placeo_coadber

10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
Status
Blinky_1 said:
One more thing...it says in their letter that the class if filled up already. Doh!!!!!!
i heard that NO ONE got accepted ... they just pay people off to say they got accepted ... and they're actually going to reject everyone this year and not have a class for next year ... i think it has something to do with Cornell retiring from medicine ... he's too old and wants to spend time with his children

sweetpeamd09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
placeo_coadber said:
i heard that NO ONE got accepted ... they just pay people off to say they got accepted ... and they're actually going to reject everyone this year and not have a class for next year ... i think it has something to do with Cornell retiring from medicine ... he's too old and wants to spend time with his children
Haha! Seriously though, I just got that letter too... So truthfully for all those who got into Cornell and want to go to Columbia or JH or wherever else their heart is set on... pls. let Cornell know so we can go instead ;)

Only SLIGHTLY kidding

:barf: Me opening my little envelope from Cornell this afternoon

adog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
shiat....when were your waitlist letters dated? I interviewed last week, so I'm thinking that my chances at this point are quite grim. I guess that whole thing where they said that they don't fill there class until mid march is bogus. oh well...sigh.. its my top choice.

sweetpeamd09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
adog said:
shiat....when were your waitlist letters dated? I interviewed last week, so I'm thinking that my chances at this point are quite grim. I guess that whole thing where they said that they don't fill there class until mid march is bogus. oh well...sigh.. its my top choice.
Dated: 3/9/05 :luck:

PMinty44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
sweetpeamd09 said:
Dated: 3/9/05 :luck:
I just received my Cornell waitlist letter (dated 3/9/05). This was my reaction: :clap: Let's remain positive....I don't care if they accept me the day before classes...I WILL go!

Stay positive!

PMinty44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
bleh4788 said:
was it postmarked 3/9 too?
bleh....I ripped and threw away the envelope...why do you ask? (It is an odd question.)

bleh4788

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
NY
Status
PMinty44 said:
bleh....I ripped and threw away the envelope...why do you ask? (It is an odd question.)
i was just wondering because if it was sent out that day, i would have already gotten it by now if i was put on the waitlist....i am thinking the next batch sent out is probably the rejections :( i'll just wait and see though

PMinty44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
bleh4788 said:
i was just wondering because if it was sent out that day, i would have already gotten it by now if i was put on the waitlist....i am thinking the next batch sent out is probably the rejections :( i'll just wait and see though
No, Bleh.....be positive! Think acceptance or waitlist-then-acceptance. :)
Where would you go if Cornell didn't work out? (I'm trying to decide between Case, Pitt, and UMass...we'll see.)

About the Ads

lis79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
Status
An Yong said:
I haven't heard anything from Cornell yet, anyone else in the same position?
I haven't either. I feel a rejection coming for me. I feel like Cornell was not meant to happen. :(

An Yong

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
lis79 said:
I haven't either. I feel a rejection coming for me. I feel like Cornell was not meant to happen. :(

Yea.. I'm not optimistic either. Lets hope we atleast get on the waitlist

Treg

Surgeon in training
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
Southeast
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey guys,

Don't get too discouraged. I was at the minority revisit this weekend, and I would guess that only 10-15 out of the 40 or so of us there will actually matriculate at Cornell. They have a wonderful program, administration, and student body, but some people had just found out about HMS, some were having a hard time contemplating leaving Cali, thinking about Columbia, etc. So, the waitlist will certainly be moving :) I am pretty sure that I will not be at Cornell :( I loved it, but for personal reasons Manhattan would be a difficult adjustment.

Treg

PMinty44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
Treg said:
Hey guys,

Don't get too discouraged. I was at the minority revisit this weekend, and I would guess that only 10-15 out of the 40 or so of us there will actually matriculate at Cornell. They have a wonderful program, administration, and student body, but some people had just found out about HMS, some were having a hard time contemplating leaving Cali, thinking about Columbia, etc. So, the waitlist will certainly be moving :) I am pretty sure that I will not be at Cornell :( I loved it, but for personal reasons Manhattan would be a difficult adjustment.

Treg
Hey, Treg. Boy, do I wish I had been at the minority re-visit last weekend. I am waitlisted (Cornell is my TOP choice)....but I'm remaining positive. Thanks for the words of encouragement. However, if it doesn't work out in the end, I'll be very happy at Pitt. It's all good. :)

Sparky Man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
Medical Student
oh yeah...i made it to the waitlist!!!

anyone know how many are on it and how many make it in?

DrDarwin

Naturally selected
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2004
Down House
Status
Sparky Man said:
oh yeah...i made it to the waitlist!!!

anyone know how many are on it and how many make it in?
Did you just get the letter today? I have yet to receive anything, and am wondering if I am teetering on the edge of waitlist/rejection since many seem to already have been waitlisted.

An Yong

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
DrDarwin said:
Did you just get the letter today? I have yet to receive anything, and am wondering if I am teetering on the edge of waitlist/rejection since many seem to already have been waitlisted.

Yea I haven't received anything either... getting kinda worried as well.

bleh4788

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
NY
Status
have people recieved rejections recently? if so, when were they dated? i am getting really nervous and things aren't looking too good.

noodley

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
Status
Got the waitlist letter today. I interviewed last week. Bummer. I'm glad there's still a chance, but the uncertainty and suspense and dragging it out more.... ay. By the way, for those who chose to be considered, what did you write for "reasons for choice"? I thought that was kind of weird... I couldn't come up with anything really compelling to put in that little space.

About the Ads

adog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
noodley said:
Got the waitlist letter today. I interviewed last week. Bummer. I'm glad there's still a chance, but the uncertainty and suspense and dragging it out more.... ay. By the way, for those who chose to be considered, what did you write for "reasons for choice"? I thought that was kind of weird... I couldn't come up with anything really compelling to put in that little space.

Hey noodley, did you interview at Cornell last Tuesday?

Oubain

10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
Status
noodley said:
I thought that the "reason for choice" was just if you decided on another school? whoops.

PMinty44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
Oubain said:
I thought that the "reason for choice" was just if you decided on another school? whoops.
I'm pretty sure Oubain is right about "reason for choice" being for students who opt to get off the waitlist.

Has anyone been rejected post-interview yet? Geez...I'm not reassured that I have a shotin hell if everyone and their mom is on the waitlist!

adog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
is anybody else still waiting to hear from Cornell? and if so, when are we supposed to hear by?

bleh4788

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
NY
Status
adog said:
is anybody else still waiting to hear from Cornell? and if so, when are we supposed to hear by?
I'm still waiting...all I've heard is that we will hear by the end of the month.

adog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
I just called today. And they said that all decisions were mailed out on Friday. Due to the fact that most of the people accepted were told by e-mail, i'm assuming what is in the mail is a waitlist...sigh. hope that helps you all.

bleh4788

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
NY
Status
adog said:
I just called today. And they said that all decisions were mailed out on Friday. Due to the fact that most of the people accepted were told by e-mail, i'm assuming what is in the mail is a waitlist...sigh. hope that helps you all.
Thanks for the info. I haven't heard of anyone getting an email since that 1st week in March. I am definitely hoping for the waitlist at this point

adog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
Yup, just as I suspected, a waitlist. Not suprising since I interviewed the last week of interviews. Called the office to get some info on the waitlist. They said that they usually take about 1/3rd of the class from the waitlist. So I'm assuming they take about 30-35 off the waitlist, which is promising!

bleh4788

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
NY
Status
I got a waitlist letter too....the waitlist must be pretty long this year

About the Ads

DrDarwin

Naturally selected
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2004
Down House
Status
Has anyone been rejected post-interview? I haven't heard of anyone...

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
DrDarwin said:
Has anyone been rejected post-interview? I haven't heard of anyone...
Yes, people have been rejected post-interview from Cornell. At least one person posted something about it a couple days (a week?) ago.

PMinty44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
ajt2003 said:
Yes, people have been rejected post-interview from Cornell. At least one person posted something about it a couple days (a week?) ago.
Thanks, ajt2003. I'm bumping this thread because I want to get a sense of how many people have been rejected from Cornell post-interview. Again, it seems like a LOT of people got waitlisted.

aar239

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2005
NY
Status
What is it with all these waitlists. I'm not feeling to confident about being on the list now. It seems like they are just putting the majority of people post-interview on it who were not accepted. :(

adog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
Have any of you sent letter of interest/intent or update letter since the getting the waitlist letter?

PMinty44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
adog said:
Have any of you sent letter of interest/intent or update letter since the getting the waitlist letter?
I sent them a Letter of Intent in February *before* they waitlisted me. I was going to send them another letter after being waitlisted in March, but I got really busy and temporarily lost hope of getting in off the waitlist. I re-gained hope and sent them a second LOI/update-on-an-upcoming-publication yesterday. I hope it wasn't too late!!! Do any of you think it will look horrible that I didn't communicate with them for a month after being waitlisted? :eek:

Oh, gosh...I sound paranoid now. :confused: I promise: I'm much more reasonable than this, especially after re-visiting Case which I loved. But, still...does anyone think my month-long state of incommunicata has sealed my fate?

sunsweet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
PMinty44 said:
I sent them a Letter of Intent in February *before* they waitlisted me. I was going to send them another letter after being waitlisted in March, but I got really busy and temporarily lost hope of getting in off the waitlist. I re-gained hope and sent them a second LOI/update-on-an-upcoming-publication yesterday. I hope it wasn't too late!!! Do any of you think it will look horrible that I didn't communicate with them for a month after being waitlisted? :eek:

Oh, gosh...I sound paranoid now. :confused: I promise: I'm much more reasonable than this, especially after re-visiting Case which I loved. But, still...does anyone think my month-long state of incommunicata has sealed my fate?
I definitely don't think so. Stop worrying! you're fine :thumbup:

PMinty44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
I'm bumping...in the off chance that someone gets in from the waitlist before May 15th....(I think bumping this makes me feel like I have a mroe active role in this "waiting" process...what a delusion. :( )

I just want to know "yes" or "no." I can take it. I'm a big girl.

PMinty44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
bleh4788 said:
does anyone know how long the waitlist is this year?
I called the admin office a few weeks ago and they told me thye wouldn't know until after May 15th....makes sense, though. Argh!

2009doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2005
Status
bleh4788 said:
does anyone know how long the waitlist is this year?
i called a few weeks ago, and was told there are about 100 of us in this awful waitlist purgatory, and that typically 25-30 of the waitlist get invites. good luck to everyone else! i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

PMinty44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
2009doc said:
i called a few weeks ago, and was told there are about 100 of us in this awful waitlist purgatory, and that typically 25-30 of the waitlist get invites. good luck to everyone else! i'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Really, that few? Hmmm, I thought they would have waitlisted more people.

Electrophys

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
PMinty44 said:
Really, that few? Hmmm, I thought they would have waitlisted more people.
So did I. Man, I hope that info is accurate, I would love to be in NY in Aug!

Good luck to everyone waiting! :thumbup:

Cheerfulgrrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
Status
Just for you all to know, I withdrew from the waitlist. Best wishes to all of you!

About the Ads