Cornell Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I looked up in a US News Med School book that they "accepted" about 203 people last year for their class of 101 (for some reason they accepted 101 last year, which is strange since I thought they did 100).

Anyways, I'm assuming this means they initially overaccepted...I don't know if this stat includes waitlisted people who were eventually accepted...surely it does...I doubt they sent out 203 letters in their initial round of acceptances. If someone can find out how many they initially accepted last year (non-waitlisted candidates) all we have to do is subtract that number from 203 and we know exactly how many of last yrs class were initially waitlisted.

This sucks--the waiting part--yeah I'm glad I'm on it but I wish I had a rank...I'm sure they do it for demographics, etc. but I still wish I had a better idea of my chances so I could plan my summer accordingly.

IF ANYONE gets in off the waitlist PLEASe let us all know ASAP!!!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

nicholasblonde said:
I looked up in a US News Med School book that they "accepted" about 203 people last year for their class of 101 (for some reason they accepted 101 last year, which is strange since I thought they did 100).

Anyways, I'm assuming this means they initially overaccepted...I don't know if this stat includes waitlisted people who were eventually accepted...surely it does...I doubt they sent out 203 letters in their initial round of acceptances. If someone can find out how many they initially accepted last year (non-waitlisted candidates) all we have to do is subtract that number from 203 and we know exactly how many of last yrs class were initially waitlisted.

This sucks--the waiting part--yeah I'm glad I'm on it but I wish I had a rank...I'm sure they do it for demographics, etc. but I still wish I had a better idea of my chances so I could plan my summer accordingly.

IF ANYONE gets in off the waitlist PLEASe let us all know ASAP!!!

Thanks

It is my understanding that most schools (except for schools like UMass that are prohibited from doing so by their agreement the State) overaccept. I know for a fact that Case Western accepts close to 300 people for the 160-somthing spots that they have. Schools knowthat people get accepted at multiple places, so they need to account for that. Yes, they send out more acceptance letters than spots that they have counting on the fact that tons of people do not accept their offer. So, I am not shocked that Cornell accpets 2x their class size initially. I'm sure some of those people are people from the waitlist, but not 203 minus 101.

If someone else had more updated information, please enlighten us.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am new to SDN, but I am also on the waitlist at Cornell and I had called them today to ask how many people they have on their waitlist....they wouldn't give me any numbers so I am pretty skeptical about there only being 100 or so people on the list if they take around 30 off of it. That's a large percentage (although I would love if that were so)

BTW, does anybody know when the waitlist will start moving? I was told the committee doesn't meet till after the 15th, but how soon after will people begin to hear?

PMinty44 said:
It is my understanding that most schools (except for schools like UMass that are prohibited from doing so by their agreement the State) overaccept. I know for a fact that Case Western accepts close to 300 people for the 160-somthing spots that they have. Schools knowthat people get accepted at multiple places, so they need to account for that. Yes, they send out more acceptance letters than spots that they have counting on the fact that tons of people do not accept their offer. So, I am not shocked that Cornell accpets 2x their class size initially. I'm sure some of those people are people from the waitlist, but not 203 minus 101.

If someone else had more updated information, please enlighten us.

it is my understanding that Cornell initially accepts 101 students, then accepts more people as some accepted students drop. This doesn't necessarily mean that everyone over that initial 101 was accepted off the waitlist, either. Since Cornell accepts a first batch in Dec, then again through the spring, it's conceivable that some people in the first batch drop, making them essentially accept for those same spots again in the spring, making the total number of accepted students higher than 101. Then the waitlist acceptees increase the number even more. Regardless, this seems to be a common practice. no school accepts the exact number of their incoming class. And considering Cornell has one of the lowest acceptance rates in the country, I would venture to say that most schools actually accept more than 2x their class size.

soprano said:
it is my understanding that Cornell initially accepts 101 students, then accepts more people as some accepted students drop. This doesn't necessarily mean that everyone over that initial 101 was accepted off the waitlist, either. Since Cornell accepts a first batch in Dec, then again through the spring, it's conceivable that some people in the first batch drop, making them essentially accept for those same spots again in the spring, making the total number of accepted students higher than 101. Then the waitlist acceptees increase the number even more. Regardless, this seems to be a common practice. no school accepts the exact number of their incoming class. And considering Cornell has one of the lowest acceptance rates in the country, I would venture to say that most schools actually accept more than 2x their class size.

That sounds logical given their published acceptance stats, but several schools with the problem based learning curriculum (like the state school here in MO) accept an exact number. Univ of Mo-Columbia accepts exactly 96 and waitlists exactly 96, not counting students from pre-admissions programs. The do it b/c the PBL groups are 12 people each, so they want to have exactly 8 groups of 12 (or 12 group of 8 or something)...anyways, it seems like something happened last year that caused them to go over by one person, b/c it would seem to make sense that they would want exactly 100 at Cornell, but they ended up w/ 101...I imagine they have to be pretty conservative w/ acceptances to avert having a random # of people in each of their Problem-Based-Learning groups.

If anyone gets updated info please find this thread (which I'm sure will be down-bumped by tomorrow) and add it...since we're all just as anxious--was anyone else pleasantly surprised by the fact that Cornell had all Macs in the small-group rooms (and how bout those flat screen monitors in the anatomy labs--I wonder if they'd let us watch sporting events down there on weekends :^p...sorry, digressing about how badly I want to go to that school...

On Wed., I received an e-mail from Dean Montano telling me that they will start sending out acceptances in "the next couple of days" and asking me whether I'm still interested. I received my acceptance today via e-mail.
Due to a variety of personal reasons, I decided a month ago that I want to stay in NYC, and this is definitely where I will be attending!!!

good luck to everyone still waiting...If you have questions, PM me. (Don't be alarmed if I don't reply the same day...I got off my SDN habit so I only check it once every couple of weeks now :))

sweatybrain said:
On Wed., I received an e-mail from Dean Montano telling me that they will start sending out acceptances in "the next couple of days" and asking me whether I'm still interested. I received my acceptance today via e-mail.
Due to a variety of personal reasons, I decided a month ago that I want to stay in NYC, and this is definitely where I will be attending!!!

good luck to everyone still waiting...If you have questions, PM me. (Don't be alarmed if I don't reply the same day...I got off my SDN habit so I only check it once every couple of weeks now :))
Wishing you all the best at Cornell. :thumbup: :) I'm sure that it is a major relief to get off the waitlist!! Did anyone else hear from Cornell yesterday or today?

sweatybrain said:

Congrats, Sweatybrain!

Same thing happened to my friend yesterday. I'm soooo happy for him, especially because he had NO acceptances (brilliant guy, but had gotten rejected post-interview from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Hopkins, UCSF, etc). :)

Anyone else hear from Cornell in the last few days (or today)?

schooldaze said:
Anyone else hear from Cornell in the last few days (or today)?

Nope...but if you did (if they asked you if you were still interested), then you'll get accepted. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
PMinty44 said:
Nope...but if you did (if they asked you if you were still interested), then you'll get accepted. Good luck! :luck:

Do ya'll think that maybe Cornell adcom met, accepted a few people, and now we all have to wait another month to get that email we're all hoping for??? Do they just meet every time a spot comes open or is this a monthly thing?

BUMP BUMP

last year's wait list thread seems to verify that they send out emails every 2 weeks to wait listed candidates who are going to get in...so that would put us at next Thursday or Friday--20th or 21st of May--before we hear anything else...Good Luck ya'll....I really hope Ms. Montano's name pops up in my inbox in the next few weeks!!!

Are we all pretty certain that they accept wait-listed candidates via an e-mail?

nicholasblonde said:
Are we all pretty certain that they accept wait-listed candidates via an e-mail?

Yes :) Good luck! If you have any questions about NYC - food, subway, places to go, nightlife, grocery, shopping - feel free to PM me. I have lived here for 3 years and (fortunately and unfortunately) probably won't live in Olin in the fall.

yesterday i was extremely bored at work and was on sdn all day, so i ended up looking at columbia's waitlist info- those people that get off the waitlist are sending in up to 4 or 5 letters/emails, and calling the dean often!!! is this normal??? what are you doing? i really really want cornell- definitely my first choice. i sent in a strong letter of intent. but nothing else. i'm out of school, have no grades to update, nothing ground breaking has come out of my research in the past few months, i don't have anyone else to ask to write me a letter- that would have any sort of inpact. am i screwed if i'm not constantly bugging the ad com??? any suggestions for the next week? i thought of sending ms. montano an email- but then again, i would only be repeating what i already wrote in my loi. i don't want to be annoying...any suggestions??

2009 doc--

I'm not sure what is considered normal, I will only tell you what worked for me. After the interview, I sent in a standard thank-you letter, and a month later I sent in an update. When I got the WL letter, and decided I will drop my other acceptances for Cornell, I sent them a letter of intent with more updates. About a month after that, I sent in another LOI, reiterating that I'll withdraw from other schools and stating reasons why I'm a good fit for the schools and which faculty I'm interested in working with for my research.

I did not call the office.

My personal opinion is that once you send in a letter of intent - if it is appropriately worded - it is out of your hands. I don't really see a point in sending them a letter every week. (P&S being an exception.)

sweatybrain said:
2009 doc--

I'm not sure what is considered normal, I will only tell you what worked for me. After the interview, I sent in a standard thank-you letter, and a month later I sent in an update. When I got the WL letter, and decided I will drop my other acceptances for Cornell, I sent them a letter of intent with more updates. About a month after that, I sent in another LOI, reiterating that I'll withdraw from other schools and stating reasons why I'm a good fit for the schools and which faculty I'm interested in working with for my research.

I did not call the office.

My personal opinion is that once you send in a letter of intent - if it is appropriately worded - it is out of your hands. I don't really see a point in sending them a letter every week. (P&S being an exception.)

thanks sweatybrain. that's what i was thinking- i just wanted to make sure and get another opinoin. however, i did also consider writing a letter addressing the weaknesses in my application that i assume got me waitlisted instead of accepted...but i'm afraid to write that letter, as it could serve to do more harm than good (pointing out my weaknesses- probably not smart!!)...my grades/scores/letters/experiences are all impressive, but i've been in research for the past four years (the whole time debating between md/phd and md, and trying to beef up the publications, etc for md/phd competition), and thus at all my interviews the question always was 'why not md/phd, or just phd?', in fact at a different school i was even told by my interviewer 'i'm not seeing the motivation for medicine' (!!!!- which was like a punch to the gut, let me tell you, after 8 years of dreaming of med school). i thought that cornell would appreciate the research, and actually in my interviews i was never given a hard time about the research...so i guess that's why i haven't written the letter addressing my weaknesses. but i do think if i did write the letter, they would have a better feel for me and my motivations, i think i kind of held back my passion and excitement during my interviews, again, in fear of doing more harm than good. but then again, my waitlist status might not be due at all to the fact that i have spent much more time in a lab than on the wards, and more due to the fact that there are alot of qualified candidates, and cornell just tries to fit the class together well (and chances are they have more applicants that fit my description...). i know i'm now just rambling. what do you think? stick it out and pray, or make one last ditch effort pleading my case and backing up my decisions that have led me to the bench more than the clinic...? thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated. :oops:

2009doc said:
thanks sweatybrain. that's what i was thinking- i just wanted to make sure and get another opinoin. however, i did also consider writing a letter addressing the weaknesses in my application that i assume got me waitlisted instead of accepted...but i'm afraid to write that letter, as it could serve to do more harm than good (pointing out my weaknesses- probably not smart!!)...my grades/scores/letters/experiences are all impressive, but i've been in research for the past four years (the whole time debating between md/phd and md, and trying to beef up the publications, etc for md/phd competition), and thus at all my interviews the question always was 'why not md/phd, or just phd?', in fact at a different school i was even told by my interviewer 'i'm not seeing the motivation for medicine' (!!!!- which was like a punch to the gut, let me tell you, after 8 years of dreaming of med school). i thought that cornell would appreciate the research, and actually in my interviews i was never given a hard time about the research...so i guess that's why i haven't written the letter addressing my weaknesses. but i do think if i did write the letter, they would have a better feel for me and my motivations, i think i kind of held back my passion and excitement during my interviews, again, in fear of doing more harm than good. but then again, my waitlist status might not be due at all to the fact that i have spent much more time in a lab than on the wards, and more due to the fact that there are alot of qualified candidates, and cornell just tries to fit the class together well (and chances are they have more applicants that fit my description...). i know i'm now just rambling. what do you think? stick it out and pray, or make one last ditch effort pleading my case and backing up my decisions that have led me to the bench more than the clinic...? thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated. :oops:

....anyone?

2009doc said:
....anyone?
I would be proactive. Another letter won't hurt you and may in fact help you. At the very least, someone would have to pull out your file and insert your latest plea and maybe your file will be in the right place at the right time. I don't think it would hurt to call either (maybe once a week or once every other week). Just ask one or two brief questions, thank them profusely, and say goodbye. Again, it is just name recognition--getting your name in front of the people in the admissions office again. It would certainly show interest. Just my $.02.

letters of intent at least at cornell don't mean anything. actually they don't mean anything at most schools...why students fret about writing them i'll never know. they're nonbinding and med school admissions folk really give them little if any glances or consideration. i guess it's just some tradition advisors keep pushing. chances are the letter will just get put into your file and not necessarily reviewed by anyone on the adcom. the letter gets taken to the file, not the file to the letter so the likelihood that it will be magically lying around for someone to look at is pretty low. that's just the reality of applying to a school with several thousand applicants, and several hundred people accepted and waitlisted.

at this point, there is nothing whatsoever you can do to beef up your application. phone calls will just be annoying and you don't want to annoy anyone. while frustrating, at this stage think of no response as a good thing -- it means you're at least still on the list which historically doesn't move that quickly until june or so.

for the time being just concentrate on finishing up your research and your remaining coursework. if you have any acceptances at this point then take comfort that you are already in somewhere and that even if it doesn't work out at cornell, you will be a doctor in the next few years. a little prayer never hurts either.

good luck,
ed

I'd beg to differ because I've been told on interviews that a call or letter from time to time is a good way to show further interest.....specially if you're accepted at another school (which they can see). I'm not saying an email and call every week but one letter/email after the May deadline is a good thing for some schools. I do agree that at many schools the letter will never be considered or seen. However, in the event someone actually stumbles upon it, it was worth all the time you put into writing it. Conclusion: one letter/email won't hurt. Multiple letters/emails/calls makes you annoying and they won't take you.

edfig99 said:
letters of intent at least at cornell don't mean anything. actually they don't mean anything at most schools...why students fret about writing them i'll never know. they're nonbinding and med school admissions folk really give them little if any glances or consideration. i guess it's just some tradition advisors keep pushing. chances are the letter will just get put into your file and not necessarily reviewed by anyone on the adcom. the letter gets taken to the file, not the file to the letter so the likelihood that it will be magically lying around for someone to look at is pretty low. that's just the reality of applying to a school with several thousand applicants, and several hundred people accepted and waitlisted.

at this point, there is nothing whatsoever you can do to beef up your application. phone calls will just be annoying and you don't want to annoy anyone. while frustrating, at this stage think of no response as a good thing -- it means you're at least still on the list which historically doesn't move that quickly until june or so.

for the time being just concentrate on finishing up your research and your remaining coursework. if you have any acceptances at this point then take comfort that you are already in somewhere and that even if it doesn't work out at cornell, you will be a doctor in the next few years. a little prayer never hurts either.

good luck,
ed

If ya'll look at last year's Cornell waitlist thread it seems like they looked at their class size about every two weeks...so that means that maybe--just maybe--there could be some e-mails sent out this week (it's been 2 weeks since the peeps on here got in off the wait-list...lets all cross our fingers for whatever might happen (even if nothing happens) in the next couple of weeks!!!

Edfig is blatantly wrong

I was told point blank by Dr. Bardes that they look at letters such as that with interest if they are sent after 5/15

thanks everybody for the feedback on communication with the admissions office. hopefully me letter of intent will help- i didn't end up sending an additional letter addressing the weaknesses in my application...we'll see.

according to last year's thread, it looks like this friday might be the last chance for many of us, i'm keeping my fingers crossed! :luck: good luck everyone!!! :luck:

please let us know if any of you get that "are you still interested?" email this week. thanks.

hey all,
not on cornell's waitlist, but just wanted to say that i have a bunch of freinds at cornell, and they all insist that a lot of the class comes off the waitlist (well, like 25%).

so keep trying, forget SDN rumours, and listen to what actual students say has been the trend year after year.

good luck.

D, MD

if anyone receives that coveted email this week, or if u know anyone who got it, pleeeease let us know!!! Also, just wanted to know if anyone thinks it's bad that I sent my update letter/transcript Express Mail today...I just wanted it to be on Montano's desk by tomorrow and the Post Office said they could have it there by noon tomorrow--so I shelled out the $13.65 and sent the damn thing just so it might get there before they send out any emails. Then it hit me they might think it's a little overkill that I express mailed it!!! Oh well--at this point I doubt it matters.

bump....

just checking- anyone hear anything today? email, phone?

hope there are still spots!!

nicholasblonde said:
if anyone receives that coveted email this week, or if u know anyone who got it, pleeeease let us know!!! Also, just wanted to know if anyone thinks it's bad that I sent my update letter/transcript Express Mail today...I just wanted it to be on Montano's desk by tomorrow and the Post Office said they could have it there by noon tomorrow--so I shelled out the $13.65 and sent the damn thing just so it might get there before they send out any emails. Then it hit me they might think it's a little overkill that I express mailed it!!! Oh well--at this point I doubt it matters.

i overnight expressed my loi last week- at this point its not overkill, providing this week might be out last chance!!! :luck: :luck:

Info extracted from last year's Cornell waitlist thread:

--Waitlist Acceptance emails sent on Friday, May 14th
--Another Round of Acceptance emails sent out on Thursday, May 27th
--List was ~150 people

This year:
--so far it seems that waitlist acceptances were sent on Thursday, May 12th

Conlusion (as I previously stated)--there should be some movement SOON...hopefully tomorrow or early next week.

not to sound desperate...but that school rocked my socks off...esp the curriculum :luck: :luck: :luck:

schooldaze said:
I would be proactive. Another letter won't hurt you and may in fact help you. At the very least, someone would have to pull out your file and insert your latest plea and maybe your file will be in the right place at the right time. I don't think it would hurt to call either (maybe once a week or once every other week). Just ask one or two brief questions, thank them profusely, and say goodbye. Again, it is just name recognition--getting your name in front of the people in the admissions office again. It would certainly show interest. Just my $.02.

I just want to know, when you call the adcom office to ask questions about the waitlist, what exactly do you ask? I'm afraid to say too much because I don't want to come off as pushy or nosy or annoying, but I want information. So my question is, how much info can I ask for without crossing the line? I'd greatly appreciate any input!!!! :thumbup: Btw, I'm not waitlisted at Cornell, mine is for another school. But I just want to know in general.

Newsradiofan said:
Edfig is blatantly wrong

I was told point blank by Dr. Bardes that they look at letters such as that with interest if they are sent after 5/15

ouch. blatantly wrong am i? okay...whatever dude.

well maybe things changed a bit since i left a few years ago. when i served, letters were looked at by staff (in order to be filed), they generally weren't read by committee members in real time. just practically speaking, schools are flooded with thousands of pieces of paper, so it gets hard for everyone to read everything as it comes in. when the wait list started to move, someone would check to see if there was a letter, but if there was no letter, that person could still get accepted since letters are nonbinding and are really just application filler. it's nice but not necessary.

again, if someone REALLY wants to send in a letter, there's no harm in sending one letter - and regular postage is fine by the way, save your money. beyond that, multiple letters aren't really helpful. phone calls definitely aren't helpful. letters may or may not be read. and they may or may not be helpful.

anyway, good luck to all those waiting for the list to start moving. it really is true that a lot of students end up coming off the waitlist for Cornell and it can really happen up until the day before classes start. there are no big waves of movement, just lots of small ripples. there are legendary stories of such appicants here like one student who i remember was driving cross country from california to Wash U. before getting on the road he had called the office to let them know that he was on the road and he gave his cell number. near the end of his roadtrip he got his call and changed course, came right to cornell and started classes 2 days later.

l8r,
ed

:) :) YAY!!!! :) :) i keep pinching myself!

i got a call from ms. montano 9:15 this morning!!!! i'm so excited, i could hardly contain myself- i think she got a real kick out of it!! so, fairytales do come true after all. cornell has been my first choice since i started thinking about med school!!! so keep the faith- miracles do happen!! none of my other acceptances were even close to the same level as cornell- those other rejects and accepts mean nothing!

:luck: :luck: GOOD LUCK everyone! :luck: :luck:

i hope to all of you who want this as much as i that we see each other on the upper east side in august! :)

Congrats!!! I've been rooting for you and nickblonde. See you in August!

2009doc said:
:) :) YAY!!!! :) :) i keep pinching myself!

i hope to all of you who want this as much as i that we see each other on the upper east side in august! :)
Congrats!!!!! Getting off the waitlist is really exciting. I hope your good news will multiply for a few more waitlisters who have been following this thread :thumbup:

CONGRATS 2009doc!!! I'm happy for ya, and trying to stay hopeful about my own prospects. Everyone wish me luck!

thanks! i just got back from a family reunion over the long weekend- and it was so fantastic to be able to say conclusively yes i'm going to cornell. no more we'll have to wait and see, i'll let you know by the end of the summer! thanks for all the advice and encouragement- checking up on this thread made the waiting purgatory a tad more bearable.

:luck: and good luck to everyone else- especially nicholasblonde!! :luck: i really hope to see you in august :)

Cornell's waitlist is still moving. I got an acceptance call from Ms. Montano earlier this morning. I am very excited and will almost certainly be attending Cornell come fall. Good luck everyone. Keep the hope alive.

Also, for those interested, I had two additional professors send LORs after I was waitlisted, and I wrote a letter of interest toward the beginning of May. I was strongly considering sending a second letter in the near future, but that is obviously a moot point now.

DrDarwin said:
Cornell's waitlist is still moving. I got an acceptance call from Ms. Montano earlier this morning. I am very excited and will almost certainly be attending Cornell come fall. Good luck everyone. Keep the hope alive.

Also, for those interested, I had two additional professors send LORs after I was waitlisted, and I wrote a letter of interest toward the beginning of May. I was strongly considering sending a second letter in the near future, but that is obviously a moot point now.

Congrats DrDarwin... :thumbup:

nicholasblonde said:
Congrats DrDarwin... :thumbup:

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I was told that I was "next on the list...," which implied to me that the waitlist is probably ranked. That may change as time passes and filling the class becomes paramount. I obviously don't know how fluid the rankings are--or if it becomes more fluid later--so I would not let the prospect of a ranked list deter you from writing letters and/or calling to express your interest.

Also, below is something I just wrote to a bunch of professors after informing them of my acceptance. It basically expresses my thoughts on the whole admissions process:

My acceptance this morning is further confirmation that this process is incomprehensible to everyone but those who sit on admissions committees. After a pretty bad--and short--interview at Cornell, I expected to be rejected. I was subsequently waitlisted. Then, after focusing most of my waitlist efforts on XXXX and YYYYYYYY, I was accepted at Cornell. Weird. I don't think I disliked Cornell any more than the two aforementioned schools, I just thought I had the least chance of admittance there. And since this process has been so humbling, I resisted setting my heart on one place as a sort-of crude self-defense mechanism.

damn, I'm starting to get nervous here. I hope to hear something soon.

CONGRATS Dr. Darwin!!! See you in August! :)

:luck: Good luck Blinky_1 and nicholasblonde. Don't worry yet, last year movement went into July according to SDN, and up until a few days before classes started according to Dr. Bardes! Keep the faith! :luck:

2009doc said:
CONGRATS Dr. Darwin!!! See you in August! :)

:luck: Good luck Blinky_1 and nicholasblonde. Don't worry yet, last year movement went into July according to SDN, and up until a few days before classes started according to Dr. Bardes! Keep the faith! :luck:

Thanks! Only financial considerations would deter me from going. Because my alternative is the second most expensive public school in the country, however, I don't forsee any reason I won't be seriously enjoying Manhattan come August :D. I would love to round up some people and attend the U.S. Open this year (assuming we would have the time, which PBL seems to allow for). I went to the French Open last June, and it would be nice to add to my "Majors" collection.

DrDarwin said:
I would love to round up some people and attend the U.S. Open this year (assuming we would have the time, which PBL seems to allow for). I went to the French Open last June, and it would be nice to add to my "Majors" collection.

I'll also most likely be at Cornell this fall, and I'd be all about going to the US Open. I'm a long-time tennis fan and have always wanted to go to a major. And I can't believe you made it to the French Open! What matches did you see?!?!?

Oh, and good luck to everyone on the waitlist! I've been lurking on this thread, rooting for you all silently. :)

alec689 said:
I'll also most likely be at Cornell this fall, and I'd be all about going to the US Open. I'm a long-time tennis fan and have always wanted to go to a major. And I can't believe you made it to the French Open! What matches did you see?!?!?

Oh, and good luck to everyone on the waitlist! I've been lurking on this thread, rooting for you all silently. :)

Yeah, I was pretty lucky. I did a Fulbright in Norway and then planned a big continental trip afterward, only to discover that I had arranged to be in Paris during the French Open. (I also read The Da Vinci Code two days before staying at a hostel a block from the Louvre, which was an awesome coincidence.) Because I figured it was a once-in-a-(premed)lifetime opportunity, I splurged and got a stadium court seat. I therefore saw Serena Williams, Lleyton Hewitt, and some other big name players. I also saw Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario in a doubles match when I toured the Rolland Garros grounds, which was cool because she was pretty elite when I was just getting into tennis.

i would love to go to the us open! great idea. qualifying rounds are FREE and during orientation week! i don't know if my financial aid package will permit for other tickets...