Coronavirus: Volunteering opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewUser124

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any good ideas how to volunteer during Coronavirus pandemic.

Unfortunately the pandemic has hit very hard. But I wanna help people out. I think this could be good opportunity to make application stand out if you wanna apply to medical school next year. What are some things pre-med students can do to make their application stand out? Any ideas ? What are somethings you have done ?

PS I live in NYC.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if it will help, but some of my friends are volunteering in different online and phone stuff, - crisis lines, etc. I would look into that.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if it will help, but some of my friends are volunteering in different online and phone stuff, - crisis lines, etc. I would look into that.
I want to do something pertaining to Coronavirus ... that will make it unique and pop out of other applicants

• Dislike
  • Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I want to do something pertaining to Coronavirus ... that will make it unique and pop out of other applicants
Ok, this sound so horrible. It sounds like your only motivation is to look good. Are you this shallow, or you just didn't say it right? People are dying and you are worried about looking good?? What is wrong with you.
Instead of focusing on how to look good, focus on how you can actually help , - whether it would be helping patients or other providers.

Reactions: 1 users
Obviously I would be risking my life to help out the patients as well. Not everything is about trying to look good.

Being a good medical professional is not being a hero. This is just what 23 year old children think (not every 23 year old is a child, I am referring to the type). So do yourself a favor - erase the image of yourself rescuing someone from evil covid-19, and admissions offering you a spot because you are a hero. LIke doesnt work like that. Medicine doesn't work like that. If you do, even if you get accepted, you are up for a huge surprise.

Being a good medical professional means KNOWING YOUR PLACE. Knowing when it is better to help, and when it is better to step away and let professionals do their job. You want help? make peanut butter jelly sandwiches and give them out to homeless. As someone who has know what is it like to literally starve, I can tell you - giving someone food is one of the best things you can do.

But please do deflate your ego at least a bit. OR, - learn to communicate better online (If you are actually a nice mature humble person who simply comes off weird).

Reactions: 5 users
Being a good medical professional is not being a hero. This is just what 23 year old children think (not every 23 year old is a child, I am referring to the type). So do yourself a favor - erase the image of yourself rescuing someone from evil covid-19, and admissions offering you a spot because you are a hero. LIke doesnt work like that. Medicine doesn't work like that. If you do, even if you get accepted, you are up for a huge surprise.

Being a good medical professional means KNOWING YOUR PLACE. Knowing when it is better to help, and when it is better to step away and let professionals do their job. You want help? make peanut butter jelly sandwiches and give them out to homeless. As someone who has know what is it like to literally starve, I can tell you - giving someone food is one of the best things you can do.

But please do deflate your ego at least a bit. OR, - learn to communicate better online (If you are actually a nice mature humble person who simply comes off weird).

Savage but very true!

Reactions: 2 users