Correct me if I'm wrong...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...but I'm under the impression that people are more likely to go to a dentist on a regular basis(and frequently) than to go to a physician.

Members don't see this ad.

yes

I've heard of numbers but can't validate these

People visit the dentist on avg every 9 months while a physician every three years.

This is why NYU is pushing health promotion for not only the oral cavity but the whole body. They aren't teaching us to treat people with aliments in other parts of the body but rather notice something is wrong and refer them to a physician, nutritionist, etc...

Yep.

People only go to the physisican when something is wrong (for the most part). However, more people visit the dentist for preventative care.

Tufts is also pushing health promotion, just as Broc said NYU is. I'm sure most schools do this now. It's a new way of treating people in dentistry. No longer is it a concentration on health prevention, but now it's health promotion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks drpheta. You verified my hunch. I also tend to go to physicians generally when I'm sick or not feeling well.

Yeah, it has something to do with the fact that people assume the body will take care of itself for most illnesses (Cold, Flu, bodyache). It's when the extreme illnesses are possible that the public sees a physician.

With teeth, most don't want to risk permanent damage, hence the preventative maintenance on them. Kinda odd, if you ask me. But that's what I've been told by most doctors (physicians and dentists).

Originally posted by drPheta
Yeah, it has something to do with the fact that people assume the body will take care of itself for most illnesses (Cold, Flu, bodyache). It's when the extreme illnesses are possible that the public sees a physician.

With teeth, most don't want to risk permanent damage, hence the preventative maintenance on them. Kinda odd, if you ask me. But that's what I've been told by most doctors (physicians and dentists).
[/QUOTE

Plus the inconvenience of not being able to chew and/or talk. Getting a cold people tough it out, but toothache there's something about that which makes people run to their dentist:p

i know this sounds cheeky, but isn't this a good thing? we earn more money like that...;) :laugh:

Maybe not so much a good thing.

Dentistry is actually one of the only medical specialties that is prevention based (or largely prevention based).

Still a great majority of the patients walk through the doors for a check-up, rather than walking through the doors to fulfill treatment measures.

When I say a "great majority," I'm referencing other medical areas (such as people visiting physicians).

A great number of elephants in the wild eventually die because their last of several sets of teeth wear out and they are no longer able to bite off and chew their food.

Thanks for the post. This will come in handy when I begin my animal dentistry practice in Africa. J/K.:D

The world is driven by stupidity.:D
Don't listen to dentist---->get cavities---->work for dentists.

ISn't it a bit nice if the world is driven by stupidity? We are the ones that benefit I suppose..... :D

Originally posted by tanwe461
ISn't it a bit nice if the world is driven by stupidity? We are the ones that benefit I suppose..... :D

Aren't you glad you are not a physician???
Don't listen to physician--->engage in risky behavior--->physician diagnoses STD.:laugh:

Of course I am glad that I am not a physician as the day goes by...I am actually proud to be a Dental student.. to think that a few years ago I was so obssessed about getting into Med...though sometimes Dent skool sucks...but overall I would say that I love Dentistry....