1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Correlation time please!! reply highly appreciated

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by andwhat, Apr 8, 2004.

1. andwhat

andwhat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi there.. this goes out to all PAs and PA students.. what was it like working with med students? was it a good experience, did you feel as if you could learn from them, or did you try and compete with them? this is an excellent topic.. so please do reply..
    thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. It should be a great educational experience for a PA student. A medical student has excelled throughout college, has gone through a rigorous screening process and been accepted to medical school. You should be able to learn quite a bit from someone who has had the intense didactics a medical student undergoes.

I know I have personally taught MANY, MANY PA students several valuable lessons during my internship and residency. So whenever a medical student is willing to teach you something, please, feel appreciative and more importantly LISTEN.

Good luck and you shall excel if you listen to the doctors.......

4. 1ORTHOPA

1ORTHOPA Junior Member

I am on my last rotation at the hospital as a PA student, and I have to say my experience with the medical students was pretty good, but not too great with the residents. I felt much closer to the med students because we would talk to each other about certain topics and share information. Some of the residents, on the other hand, seemed as though we were just PA's with very little knowledge about medicine and would not pay as much attention to us than they would the med students, which kind of made me feel as though I was being pushed aside. They felt as though they could not trust us with many patients, even the not- so-critical ones. It kind of ticked me off, and made me have to prove myself in each rotation. I guess in the long run it was good that I did get ignored because it made me read more and understand things more.

5. niko327

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :rolleyes: WTF Dude, please tell me you are actually trying to be inflammatory. I think your head may need a needle decompression, just ask a PA student to do it since they were probably a healthcare professional before PA school and probably know how to do it already.

6. niko327

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey Brachial, which is it man, are you a medical student, the chief resident or the head of Pediatric cardiothoracic surgery. You're not the head nut in the psych ward are you?:laugh:

7. andwhat

andwhat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

why the sudden bitterness?? I dont find anything at all wrong with what was stated, sounds to me like you are provoking the inflammation here.. lets stick to the point please.

8. niko327

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have a low threshold for veiled insults and arrogant tones. If the arrogant tone of his post was indeed inadvertant then I apologize. On second thought......No, I don't apologize, **** him if he can't take a joke.:love:

9. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    it works both ways...md's can certainly learn from pa's who practice a field other than their own. I used to work in the er at a hospital that had an fp residency and the interns had to do a procedures rotation with me or one of the other pa's because we were the resident experts in minor procedures(suturing, toenail removal, minor closed fx reduction, i+d abscesses, etc..)
    they taught me lots of things as well so it is always a 2 way street. at my current job I precept im residents who moonlight in the er because I have much more em experience than they do. they are fine with the work up of chest pain/belly pain/dyspnea, etc but can't read a peds extremity film or reduce a shoulder dislocation or boxers fx if their lives depended on it.

10. timerick

timerick T. D. Erickson, PA-C
    7+ Year Member

You can learn something from anyone... if you have the right attitude.

PA students and medical students can all learn from each other, of course.

One PA I met said her PA program was integrated with the medical school, so half her classes were shared with the med students. But after 2 years, she was working in the hospital. Ironically, she was asked to be a preceptor for some of the medical students she had studied with. She said they all had excellent attitudes, and learned a lot from her.

11. Rob77

Rob77 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anybody can learn from anybody regardless of whether they're a med student or a PA student. When my wife was in med school she did rotations with many PA students and they were more than capable of keeping up with her and the other med students. As a resident she has had PA students working under her supervision and they are expected to perform at the same level as the med students and they are both treated as equals.

rob

12. Rob77

Rob77 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Niko,

would you expect any other behavior from people on this site?----Rob

13. CVPA

CVPA Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

First of all, Niko's initial response was right on the money. He knows it, I know it, the Plexus knows it, and you would know it too if you frequented this forum. Enough said about that, its not worth the key strokes........

My experience with medical students was great. We worked side by side with them during my IM, Peds, and EM Clerkships at Queens Hospital Center in Jamaica, Queens as well as OB/GYN at Nassau County Medical Center. There was no superiority/inferiority between us. We were students learning medicine.......period. Yes, they were given a higher workload of patients, usually 1-2 more than us (except during OB/GYN), however, the residents' expectations of us were the same.

The frequent negative interactions between medical students and PAs on this forum is not, I am happy to say, typical of real life interactions.

14. andwhat

andwhat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

as a medical student I agree.. negativism belongs nowhere.. people should get along regardless.. however there should always be mutual respect.. :cool:

15. niko327

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes, I agree wholeheartedly, mutual respect is of paramount importance.

16. JustaPA

JustaPA Member
    5+ Year Member

I wonder why medical students are here if they were not at least first PAs. I found a Doc board before this one and did not really feel welcome there even though they let me join it. The Doc board lets medical students join theirs.
    doc board