Prospective PA student Please Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krabbypattychef

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have recently decided on a career changer into physician assistant and would be a non-trad. I have never taken any of the prerequisites required, but have completed a humanities bachelor degree as well as a master degree in bioinformatics. I have done well in these but after shadowing a pa, I am thinking of switching into healthcare. I was thinking of completing all of my prereqs online at Doane or UNE. While, taking classes I will also be working full time. My question is is there anyone on here who has done only online prereqs with these schools and been accepted into a good PA school? Do you guys recommend this path or should i attend a cc/4 year? Also is it better to complete all labs online with these schools or should I do the labs in person at a cc?

Thanks for any help or input and stay safe!

Members don't see this ad.

It is feasible to do your pre-reqs online; However, some schools do not accept online pre-reqs, and almost all schools do not accept online labs. Research the schools you want to apply and check their specific requirements. In addition to your coursework, make sure you start accumulating as much high quality PCE as possible.

High quality PCE? What is that? What kind of high quality PCE can you obtain while pursuing prereqs? Can you become a registered nurse, respiratory therapist, or paramedic.....because that is high quality patient care experience.

What you really mean is “obtain as much entry level patient care experience as possible”. The majority of folks seeking placement to PA schools these days don’t possess “high quality patient care experience”.

Grades..... grades are king. If you can get some token health care experience that can help you be able to have some fluency in health care jargon, sure.... shoot for some. If it gets in the way of getting the best grades you can possibly get in your coursework, drop it. Grades will be by far your biggest advantage in your quest for PA school. A handful of programs place great emphasis on healthcare experience, and even then, folks with HCE and the best grades will beat out the folks with lesser grades and health care experience. There are often 6 or more applicants for each PA school seat, and this economic situation will be driving many more folks to pursue healthcare starting right now. Expect that the competition will have exceptional grades. You’ll need to be in at least the top 20% of some already really talented students to have hope. Getting perfect grades is the best use of your energy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,

I have recently decided on a career changer into physician assistant and would be a non-trad. I have never taken any of the prerequisites required, but have completed a humanities bachelor degree as well as a master degree in bioinformatics. I have done well in these but after shadowing a pa, I am thinking of switching into healthcare. I was thinking of completing all of my prereqs online at Doane or UNE. While, taking classes I will also be working full time. My question is is there anyone on here who has done only online prereqs with these schools and been accepted into a good PA school? Do you guys recommend this path or should i attend a cc/4 year? Also is it better to complete all labs online with these schools or should I do the labs in person at a cc?

Thanks for any help or input and stay safe!

why don't you work as a bioinformatic scientist? the job is cushy and is like a tech job with nice compensation package.

Hi,
I am new here. I am currently finishing first year of DPT program. I went in due yo family reasons. I originally wanted to do more medical diagnosis field. I dont believe medical school is worth it due to time and loans and didnt know much about pt before that much. I am thinking about applying while still in school, which i know is not a good sign. My undrrgrad gpa is 3.7+ and i am sure i can get good LOR. Any opinions are much appreciated