Correspondence between practice test scores and percentiles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sajinkya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been studying for the PCAT, and I recently took a practice test (the one in the back of the Kaplan 2010-2011 book). I was wondering how, roughly, my percentage of questions correct per section would correspond to percentile scores; are there any rule of thumbs? Does the percent correct approximately equal the percentile?

For the record, I got approximately 73% on the bio, 83% in the chemistry, 83% on the quantitative, 75% on reading comprehension, and 95% in verbal.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, there is no "rule of thumb". Percentile scores are determined by comparing your score with the others from that test day (I think). So the percentage score doesn't always equal the percentile score. For example, say you score 90's on the practice tests for chemistry but your percentile score ends up being 85 since everyone does well on that part. On the other hand, suppose you normally score 70 on the math practice tests but since everyone is bad at math your percentile score is 89.

I've been studying for the PCAT, and I recently took a practice test (the one in the back of the Kaplan 2010-2011 book). I was wondering how, roughly, my percentage of questions correct per section would correspond to percentile scores; are there any rule of thumbs? Does the percent correct approximately equal the percentile?

For the record, I got approximately 73% on the bio, 83% in the chemistry, 83% on the quantitative, 75% on reading comprehension, and 95% in verbal.

Here, I'll tell you what I got on some of the Dr. Collins tests and what I got on actual PCAT.

QA tests - 84.6%, 77%, 84.6%, 80.7% actual pcat - 65 percentile

Verbal - 80%, 88%, actual pcat - 97 percentile

RC - 81.25%, 91.6%, 85.4% actual - 60 percentile

Bio - 83.3%, 91.7%, 79.1%, 76.2%, 93% - actual 94 percentile

Chem - 84%, 84%, 85.4%, 82%, 84.7%, 76%, 89.6% actual pcat - 93 percentile

Essay - 3/3, only wrote 2 essays prior to test

Composite - 92 percentile

For my Kaplan tests: RC - 65%, 78% , Bio 78%, Chem 75% - couldn't find all my old answer sheets sorry. I do remember thinking the way Kaplan worded some of the questions was trickier than the actual PCAT. Take a lot of practice tests if you can, I'd say if you're scoring 80%+ everytime you're doing pretty well. Take the official PCAT practice and you'll know for sure.

My Kaplan practice tests had bio as my best (consistent 90+) which turned out to be my worst actual PCAT percentile (66). Practice tests are mostly useful for getting your timing down so take them in a timed setting.