Cosmetic Procedures %

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HansWalker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was curious, what percentage of a dental practice (time commitment, revenue) do you think is comprised of cosmetic procedures? By "cosmetic" I mean veneers, whitening, crowns, etc. I ask this because I am very interested in dental medicine, however less interested in the purely cosmetic side of dentistry.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you go into something like oral medicine (usually an academic position) there is not much of a living to be made in the diagnosis/prescription game. You pretty much have to be running a handpiece to make money. There are some guys out there who limit their practice to orofacial pain and TMD but they are few and far between.

I think he means more along the lines of elective procedures versus caries, etc. I would say about 20% of the time you get pure cosemtic -- i.e a person walks through the door and wants an anterior reconstruction -- keep in mind this was in a nice FFS practice in a large city. In rural areas i'm sure that % would be substantially lower.

Members don't see this ad :)
you're right DrTacoElf, I was referring to elective procedures, not including restorative procedures. There seems to be a trend in dentistry towards purely cosmetic procedures, and I was just wondering if it would be possible to have a practice which did not offer cosmetic services. I'm not averse to "running a handpiece", in fact these instruments are part of the appeal of the profession. I simply was curious if a dentist could make a reasonable living without offering elective cosmetic preocedures.
In other words, would an individual be able to recruit enough business without offering these elective services, or am I just being naive?

DrTacoElf said:
I think he means more along the lines of elective procedures versus caries, etc. I would say about 20% of the time you get pure cosemtic -- i.e a person walks through the door and wants an anterior reconstruction -- keep in mind this was in a nice FFS practice in a large city. In rural areas i'm sure that % would be substantially lower.

What's an FFS practice?

aphistis said:
Fee for service. Translates to "take your insurance plan or HMO and stick it."

LOL that's true. Every once in a while the dentist I work for grumbles about going completely to FFS. Insurance companies are a pain in the a$$. They make you jump through hoops. Twice.