Cost in Europe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mac11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does med school cost for a U.S. citizen in France?

And in general, how do you find out how much an overseas school costs? The website is all in poorly translated english and makes no sense.

Members don't see this ad.

Medical schools in europe are free if they are state managed (generally the case). They are free for the citizens of the country as well as foreign students. Generally tuition fees never exceed 1500 euro per semester, so they are still a bargain when compared to the US schools. The only downside, is the cost of living. Unfortunately Europe isn't a bargain there, so expect to pay anywhere from 20,000 to 30,000 euros for living expenses in Paris. Now that's Paris, so other places in France are going to be about 1.5 to two times cheaper. Any large cities are going to be somewhat expensive to live in. You also have to generally prove that you have enough money to study for at least a year by showing a bank statement or something of the likes of that.

Good luck!

Dhimiter

Dhimiter said:
Medical schools in europe are free if they are state managed (generally the case). They are free for the citizens of the country as well as foreign students.

Usuallly only free for foreign students if the foreign student is an e.u national and has lived in the e.u for the past three years.

Members don't see this ad :)
This probably goes without saying, but you'll have to be fluent in the language of your host country. The only countries I've ever heard of with classes in English are all in Central and Eastern Europe (Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, and beyond).

TheDervish said:
This probably goes without saying, but you'll have to be fluent in the language of your host country. The only countries I've ever heard of with classes in English are all in Central and Eastern Europe (Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, and beyond).

so, do i understand from what you said that in GB the classes are thought in chinese ? or maybe GB is not in europe !

avenirv said:
so, do i understand from what you said that in GB the classes are thought in chinese ? or maybe GB is not in europe !

In GB the classes are mainly in Arabic by the way it sounds now a days.

endodoc said:
In GB the classes are mainly in Arabic by the way it sounds now a days.

wrong, all those guys are pakistani.
i appreciate your knowledge.

My DH is Italian and went to med school in Italy and it was NOT free. Tuition is based on a sliding scale based on your family income. Not only do you pay for school (med school is the most expensive major), but you also pay for books, living expenses, supplies (stethoscopes - he has 2, labcoats, clogs, scrub caps, etc), and I think he even paid for some extra courses outside of the curriculum.

TheDervish said:
Also add Turkey to the list ;)

In Germany medical school is free, aside from 100 Euro a semester for the administration fees. However they will implement 500 Euro a semester tuition in most schools. For foreigners it really depends on which university you attend, for example in Heidelberg this fee will be waived for foreigners outside of the EU without entitlement to a loan within Germany. I read this on the website from Baden-Württemburg, the state in which Heidelberg is located. However, I read that in Hessen (a different German state) they will charge foreigners 1500 Euro a semester.

Living expenses in Germany are cheaper than the US, even in Heidelberg, one of the most expensive cities in Germany. Rents are less, you can also live in a co-op with others, rent is usually 200 to 400 Euro a month for students. I probably get by on 1000 euro a month or less and I have my own small apartment, rent is 350 Euro. Mandatory health insurance is 50 Euro a month and its full coverage. Groceries are much cheaper than in the US, you can eat pretty well on 30 to 40 Euro a week if you dont eat out and shop at the discount chains like Aldi or Lidl.

The coursework is in German and Latin, so you have to be completely fluent. The exams in Anatomy are oral with a professor directly on the cadaver. The first German board exam has a three hour oral component as well.

The coursework is in German and Latin, so you have to be completely fluent. The exams in Anatomy are oral with a professor directly on the cadaver. The first German board exam has a three hour oral component as well.

Faex nulla! Curriculum in lingua latina est?

I'd love to hear a lecture in Latin. Do they use the classical or Roman Catholic ecclesiatical pronunciation?:)

Nick

The coursework is in German and Latin, so you have to be completely fluent.

Latin?? Not really... unless you consider teaching terminology according to Nomina Anatomica as teaching in Latin.

Latin?? Not really... unless you consider teaching terminology according to Nomina Anatomica as teaching in Latin.

Darned! :mad: The poster had gotten my hopes up that one could attend lectures taught in Latin... I'd almost be willing to apply to Heidelberg as a med student...just to be able to attend lectures in Latin with the added incentive of getting one of those stylish Heidelberg dueling scars!:)

Wow, I need to do more research but after reading this, I may think about applying for med school in GB. How much is the cost of living there? Also, is it difficult to apply to a med school in GB directly from High School? I am a Canadian student currently finishing the IB Diploma. Thanks!

Wow, I need to do more research but after reading this, I may think about applying for med school in GB. How much is the cost of living there? Also, is it difficult to apply to a med school in GB directly from High School? I am a Canadian student currently finishing the IB Diploma. Thanks!

medicine in the UK period is (some say) notably even more competitive than the USA due to the small amount of schools that have a medical school. Thousands of applicants flee to other parts of the world every year.

Have fun in GB.

and yes, it's very expensive.

GB is more expensive than the euro zone.