Cost of applying to vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chocl8luva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up for first time applicants planning to apply soon: all those miscellaneous fees in the application process added up a little quicker than I expected. To give you an idea of what to plan for, I applied to three schools this cycle and these are my expenses (as nearly as I can remember).

$300 for VMCAS application to 3 schools (I think it was $75 for each school after the first)
$110 for supplemental applications, which were $30-$50 each
$160 for the GRE
$25 to send an additional GRE score report when I decided to apply to a third school :rolleyes:(you can send 4 or so for free when you take the exam)
$72 to have transcripts sent. This was $12 each and you send one to each school when you apply and another to each school when your fall grades are in.
$220 for the one interview I'm counting, 600 miles round trip plus a game-day weekend motel room. Also consider that you'll probably need a nice interview suit and shoes.

Total was $887 for me...really a little more because I had to drive back to Auburn for the day of my interview because I had been staying in the ICU with my dad...yeah, good times. Anyway, hope this helps and anybody else that encountered different expenses, please pitch in!

Members don't see this ad.

What a great idea for a thread!

I was really lucky becuase I only applied in state which was also where I did my undergrad but applied 3 times so here's my breakdown;

$110 per time (3) for one school vmcas
$160 per time (3) for gre

No school or transcript fees due to being alum

I only live 55 miles from the school so very minimal cost for interview but I will agree that I think I bought a new suit 2 times and that runs $100 or so.

Don't forget interview costs if you are applying to schools that interview. Airfare, rental cars, hotels..

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the cost definitely adds up. I had to fly to VA, and gas isn't free, so the ~680 mile drive to KSU cost a bit. Applying to 5 schools, and then all the costs associated with going to the interviews, probably spent close to $2,000. Glad I only had to apply once.

However, in the long run, it's sort of drops in the bucket when you look at paying for vet school. There's no need to go crazy and apply to tons of schools, but I don't think cost should hold you back too much; those extra schools are a few more chances to get in right? And besides, you never know where you may end up, or unexpectedly fall in love with a school you'd never even thought about before.

Oh boy, I really don't want to know exactly how much I spent. I applied to 10 schools so my application costs alone were huge. Plus traveling to Prince Edward Island for my AVC interview was definitely not cheap. I really prefer not to sit down and actually calculate it all, but I'm sure I spent AT LEAST $3,000 when all was said and done.

Now to tackle those loans . . .

Well, let me see for applying to 6 schools:
-VMCAS (4/6 schools used)~ $450 (can't remember the exact price)
-Supplementals ~$400 (again, I can't remember)
-Tufts application ~$80
-Tuskegee application $205
-Transcripts $60
-GRE scores $75
-GRE class to get GRE scores up to get into school (yes, I am totally including this since it was so expensive $1000
-Travel expenses for Missouri- $800
-Travel expenses for VMRCVM- $100

I declined two of my interviews, so that helped with savings. So... yeah I spent a ton this year. But, I didn't want to have to do it again.

I applied to a bunch of schools, so, like BlackDog, after accounting for the VMCAS application fee, supplemental application fees, and sending transcripts from 2 different schools, just applying cost a bunch. Then there was my trip to CA for my Glasgow interview (flight, hotel, transportation, food), my trip to NYC for the Edinburgh reception (flight, hotel transportation, food), and my trip to Champaign-Urbana for my IL interview (gas and food... stayed with a friend, so that helped!). Obviously those trips added A LOT more to the cost. And then if you add in the cost of my suit and the fact that I'm going to Scotland to see both Glasgow and Edinburgh before making a final decision, my application costs end up being astronomical. I'll ballpark it at about $5000, but that could be a very reserved estimate. :eek:

Applied to 7 schools. VMCAS was about $625, GRE was ~$300 for two tests and another $150-200 for extra scores sent. Supplemental applications were about $360. Transcripts were about $150, suit was $200, and travel expenses will be $900-1200.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. But I'm almost at $3k there.

Last edited:
I applied to 8 schools and had transcripts from 5 schools to send. And I took a GRE prep class. So yeah... I spent a ton of money applying and it was quite a burden. But looking back now, 2.5 months from finally graduating, it was worth it :)

I applied to one school.

GRE x2 ~ $320
VMCAS fee ~ $150
Supplemental fee ~ $50
Transcripts ~ $30 (I had to rush one of them because my school is inept and screwed up my initial transcript request)
Plane ticket ~$385

Total: $935

I stayed with my parents before the interview, so that was free :)

I drove from NW Arkansas to LSU, Mississippi State, and Tuskegee University to do interviews. With gas, hotels, application/supplemental fees for five schools, I probably spent about $1000 applying last semester. Luckily my two days off every week were moved to days when I was driving out of town for interviews, so I didn't have any lost wages.