Cost of applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theblinkmeister

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what it cost those of you who've applied to med school. I'll be a sophomore this fall, and talking with some of the graduating seniors from last year's class I was surprised at what they spent. In addition to cost if you could include the number of schools, it'd be really helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm easily past 2,000 this cycle already and I'm a reapplicant.. it all depends on how many schools you apply to and such... how many interviews.. etc

A lot.

What is AMCAS? $160 plus $30 for each medical school beyond the first? Then secondaries cost $50-$75 a pop. After that, interviews are going to have travel expenses. It depends on where you apply and to how many schools you apply, but don't plan on spending anything less than $1000... and as much as the tuition for a semester of in-state University. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on how competitive you are but I'd say plan to spend $6000+ if you're going to be taking a MCAT prep course then flying all over the country for interviews. There are a few states however that have it pretty good (Texas and New York come to mind) in that they have plenty of schools in the state and travel expenses don't build up on you.

Other than that, I'd leave the worrying until you're about to hit your senior year. Just plan ahead and realize that it's a very expensive process.

I've only submitted 2 secondaries so far, but if you count in the MCAT registration fee, I'm at $2300+ already. That includes the little things like Interfolio fees, transcript requests, money order fees....

Yeah, make sure you've got good credit so you've got cards to max out.

Then secondaries cost $50-$75 a pop.

You're getting some really cheap secondaries, then. Most of mine are like $100. Max is AECOM - $110, next is Mt. Sinai at $105. Lowest is Johns Hopkins ($75) and USC ($75).

I've applied to 6/9 schools so far, and have already spent $1300 or so, and I was frugal when it came to MCAT studying (spend $185, I believe). I'll be buying a plane ticket next week that'll cost me about $300. Thankfully, I have friends most everywhere I'm applying, so I doubt I'll be spending money for hotel or (much) food.

I've only submitted 2 secondaries so far, but if you count in the MCAT registration fee, I'm at $2300+ already. That includes the little things like Interfolio fees, transcript requests, money order fees....

wah??? how'd you do that already?

For me

Got fee waiver:D

MCAT 80
Primary 0 for first 12, $360 for the next 12
Secondaries, so far only two out of 16 secondaries that I have recieved doe not grant a fee waiver :hardy:
Suit,photography, misc, fuel, $400-500
Interview Costs-The big unknow, but probably around 3k-4k depending on how much I travel
and another big one-Being underemployed due to application upwards of 10K, but this is an intangible factor...most of the money I would have earned probably would have been used against me during financial aid anyways.

wah??? how'd you do that already?

For me

Got fee waiver:D

MCAT 80
Primary 0 for first 12, $360 for the next 12
Secondaries, so far only two out of 16 secondaries that I have recieved doe not grant a fee waiver :hardy:
Suit,photography, misc, fuel, $400-500
Interview Costs-The big unknow, but probably around 3k-4k depending on how much I travel
and another big one-Being underemployed due to application upwards of 10K, but this is an intangible factor...most of the money I would have earned probably would have been used against me during financial aid anyways.

Obviously not everyone can get a fee waiver, so you're case isn't the norm. :sleep:

including the mcat classes $4000+

there is a old thread i remember on this subject w/ a poll. try to search it up

its way too much. why do schools ask 80 bucks on top of the 30 already paid just to read your essays. ridiculous

It wouldn't bother me so much if we weren't going to be paying $25k+ a year to attend... :(

Lets see...$1120 (primary)...~$2200 (secondaries)...$200 interview wear...$1500 (Interview travel)...$1500 MCAT prep course...Total? Somewhere between $6500-$7000. No wonder I felt broke this year...LOL. Now if I were to add in what it's costing me to move from CA to VA...you don't even want to know.

A lot of it depends where you apply geographically and how flexible you are with your travel schedule (the ability to be flexible with flights and using priceline is huge as you can save half off on flights). Most of your cost is going to come from the interview process, as flights, hotels, etc. cost a lot. I've gone through the process 3 times now.

Med school: Applied from Los Angeles to mostly east coast programs and west coast. I was relatively flexible with my schedule on travel. Overall, I spent $6-7k.

Residency: Applied from New York to only the Northeast and California with a very flexible schedule. Being based in NY, I was able to use amtrak to get around the northeast and only flew out to California once, driving from program to program. Overall, I spent $2-3k.

Fellowship: Once again, I applied from Los Angeles to a combination of east and west coast. This time my schedule was very non-flexible and I couldn't group interviews together because of residency. As a result, I kept flying back and forth between east and west coast. Overall cost was $9k... :(