Cost of applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone break down all of the costs associated with applying to d-school?

So far I have:

-$225 for DAT (plus $25 for each school report over the included 5 reports)
- Secondary fees (what is the range for these?)
-Interview costs (obviously varies based on travel and accommodation costs)

What am I missing?

Members don't see this ad.

+ Cost of transcripts.

School fees are usually $70-80 per school.

EDITED: I meant school application fees, not secondaries. You will have to pay for school fees, and they can choose to send you a secondary or not, but they will take your money just to process your application.

Last edited:
My predent profile has a small breakdown

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget the MOST important and expensive fee.... AADSAS!!! Which is a few hundred to a few thousand depending on how confident you are.

The application!!! For me, it was $693 for 8 schools :(

My DAT (205) + AADSAS (285) + transcripts (60) + fees for 2 schools (150) was $700. Spent another ~$450 on gas to the interview and study materials. Total $1150.

My DAT (205) + AADSAS (285) + transcripts (60) + fees for 2 schools (150) was $700. Spent another ~$450 on gas to the interview and study materials. Total $1150.

Except most people will apply and would be fools NOT to apply to more than 2 schools. So this is a VERY conservative estimate of what a typical pre-dental student will spend on the entire process..

Except most people will apply and would be fools NOT to apply to more than 2 schools. So this is a VERY conservative estimate of what a typical pre-dental student will spend on the entire process..

I am only trying to give the numbers for my personal experience, which people can use in any way that helps them -- for example, this is the minimum they can expect to pay since your previous post didn't say what was included exactly for 15 schools. I broke it down so people can see where the money went. Hopefully they can figure out it would cost more if they add more schools.

Last edited:
I am only trying to give the numbers for my personal experience, which people can use in any way that helps them -- for example, this is the minimum they can expect to pay since your previous post didn't say what was included exactly for 15 schools. I broke it down so people can see where the money went. Hopefully they can figure out it would cost more if they add more schools.

Oh right, i understand. I was just clarifying since some pre-dents just beginning really have no idea what's going on. It would be kind of a shock going into it not know you may be spending upwards of 2-3 thousand dollars on the application process alone. The whole system seems corrupt if you ask me. 217 dollars for one school, 68 dollars a school after that. Then we spend 35-70 dollars in secondary app fees to the schools themselves. Then when it comes time to reject us, we don't even get the common courtesy of a self addressed personal letter in the mail. Instead we often get emails that say "dear applicant". How lazy. anyways, I spent $1169 on aadsas, $225 or something for DAT + $250 for 10 more score reports, $10 for transcripts, about $700 (sorry not sure exactly) in School application fees, and about $1000 in travel for interviews. A conservative estimate of $3300. I know there are plenty of people out there who have spent WAY more than me. I just makes me sick to know how much money the system sucks out of us predents every year.

^ I know, I feel extremely fortunate to have gotten in the first time and the cost of applying is insane. I mean, we're students (some still in college) who are not going to be making money for a long time and have to spend thousands up front.

^ I know, I feel extremely fortunate to have gotten in the first time and the cost of applying is insane. I mean, we're students (some still in college) who are not going to be making money for a long time and have to spend thousands up front.

lucky you, it took me 3 cycles and 3 dats to get in. I didn't apply to as many schools the first 2 times around. I wised up and studied harder, and applied smarter. Not to mention the money i spent on the Kaplan online course this year.... jeesh

lucky you, it took me 3 cycles and 3 dats to get in. I didn't apply to as many schools the first 2 times around. I wised up and studied harder, and applied smarter. Not to mention the money i spent on the Kaplan online course this year.... jeesh

Lets hope I can post your exact post next year.

I probably spent at least 3000 over the course of the whole application cycle....with AADSAS, app fees, secondary fees, interview flights/hotels/etc, DAT fee + score reports, DAT study materials, suit for interview, etc. It is expensive, but getting the acceptance phone call is SO WORTH IT! :D