Is it worth it to move to different state to establish residency to gain in-state tuition at a low cost dental school while completing online masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turbounit1

Reaction score
Hello everyone. So my story is I graduated undergrad with a 3.2 gpa. Because of that I decided to pursue a masters degree in biomedical science at a program designed for my situation to help me become more competitive for dental school. They also offer the ability to complete this program online which I am currently on track to do. Since I could technically move anywhere I figured I might as well move to a state with a dental school that has low tuition so I can gain in-state tuition when I apply. I was thinking about Utah and Colorado states since their dental schools have relatively low tuition from the research I've done. I was especially considering the University of Utah dental school since I saw that they had very few applications to the school (only like 400) from the ADEA guide compared to many other dental schools which had thousands of applications to each school so I figured I might as well move to apply to a school that seems to be less competitive since so few people apply there. I'm also open to other states. Is this a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're going to go so far as to move somewhere for a better chance of getting into a cheaper dental school, don't move to beautiful CO or UT. The only state, in my opinion, worth moving to for such an endeavor is flat, plain ol' TX. Way more public schools, and they almost only favor in-state applicants.

But you can't just move somewhere and call it a day regarding establishing residency. You have to have a reason for being there (physically there) other than for the purposes of attending school. Either own land/have a mortgage, or own a business. I got classified as in-state because I was gainfully employed in the state more than half-time, and also had to show proof that I voted there and held a driver's license in that state as well.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Agreed, TX is the only state to move to since they have a large amount of schools that take majority IS. I think it’s also important to note that you should make sure you have the prerequisite courses needed to apply to these schools from your undergrad. Different schools have different requirements and some are less in depth than others. Not sure if your masters would count for those courses but just help with your overall GPA. I could be wrong but that’s just what I understood from the post.

Members don't see this ad :)
but you should also note how competitive the schools are
texas schools are highly competitive because they are cheap, even OOS...

Reactions: 1 users
but you should also note how competitive the schools are
texas schools are highly competitive because they are cheap, even OOS...
*Me, having applied to those schools and thinking I have a competitive application, and yet no interviews, and your comment reminding me once again how competitive the schools are*:

Animated GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
*Me, having applied to those schools and thinking I have a competitive application, and yet no interviews, and your comment reminding me once again how competitive the schools are*:

Animated GIF
lol
sorry

• Haha
Unless you have some solid reasons to make a move, it may be a hard sell convincing adcoms that you are likely to remain in the state after graduation. After all, their mission is to provide the manpower needed to dental services for the state.

Not pre-dental but I think this is awful lot of trouble to go to dental school, plus the wait to get through your masters? If you have the time, energy, support, and money (support and money are not always the same thing)… perhaps that’s what’s best for you.

Also, OP what’s your general timeline to start your life and earning post-dental school? Are you taking out student loans? And are you straight out of undergrad?

Does it interest you at all to just stick to biomedical sciences and search for an industry job as an alternative/back-up to dental school? These are some important questions beyond the question of “what do I want my terminal professional degree to give me?”.

Hello everyone. So my story is I graduated undergrad with a 3.2 gpa. Because of that I decided to pursue a masters degree in biomedical science at a program designed for my situation to help me become more competitive for dental school. They also offer the ability to complete this program online which I am currently on track to do. Since I could technically move anywhere I figured I might as well move to a state with a dental school that has low tuition so I can gain in-state tuition when I apply. I was thinking about Utah and Colorado states since their dental schools have relatively low tuition from the research I've done. I was especially considering the University of Utah dental school since I saw that they had very few applications to the school (only like 400) from the ADEA guide compared to many other dental schools which had thousands of applications to each school so I figured I might as well move to apply to a school that seems to be less competitive since so few people apply there. I'm also open to other states. Is this a good idea?