Cost of Attendance (Pharmacy School)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vietricester

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Each year the does of cost of attendance goes up? and the last year (rotation's year) will be lower? or something or it is same every year?

Members don't see this ad.

The cost of attendance for a school is determined by the board of directors of that particular institution. Typically the cost of attendance is higher during your last year (rotations)

Why would it get higher in the last year(s)? I figured if we're on rotations, there will be less lectures, thus lessening the usage of the school's facilities? Dont tell me we're gonna be paying for our rotations :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
vietricester said:
Each year the does of cost of attendance goes up? and the last year (rotation's year) will be lower? or something or it is same every year?

It's my understanding that the cost would go up just as any university- due to cost of expenses rising etc. I would guess our tuition will go up slightly each year. I believe it went up about 1200$ from last year. I believe the 3rd year tuition is no more or less than the first two.

Your tuition goes up your last year because, believe it or not, the school pays the institution a fee to take you as a student at their site.

vietricester said:

You would exect the tuition to go up with inflation. However, over the last 5 years inflation has been minimal and tuition for many pharmacy programs has been going up at about 8% a year.

The schools will jack up the price to whatever they think they can get away with. If nearly 200 people will pay over $28k a year to attend a place like HICP, with private loans no less!, you can bet tuition rates will keep on climbing.

Phantom_Eclipse said:
Why would it get higher in the last year(s)? I figured if we're on rotations, there will be less lectures, thus lessening the usage of the school's facilities? Dont tell me we're gonna be paying for our rotations :eek:
Every one of the schools I looked at required tuition in the 4th year as well. Some were more than the first 3 years, some were about the same.

ButlerPharm.D. said:
Your tuition goes up your last year because, believe it or not, the school pays the institution a fee to take you as a student at their site.
this depends on the individual schools....

but i do not know of any school that doesn't require tution...

rotations are not "working for free" like you think they are... good rotations are designed to expose you to areas of pharmacy you may not have the opportunity to experience otherwise...

they are probably more important learning experiences than those of the classroom

Phantom_Eclipse said:

like they don't need more pharmacist.

at creighton, the last year is way more than the first three because we start our rotations in the summer... so, technically, we're going to school for 3 semesters instead of 2... the cost of attendance also depends on the cost of living at your school. if you go to school that has outrageous living expenses (i.e. california) you will have more money alloted for rent. just for example, tuition at creighton is 26K a year but the cost of attendance is 45K.