Cost of living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Double

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How tight is money after starting residency. I realize a lot depends on where you live. I'm thinking I want to do my residency in NY or Boston, two expensive cities...I may change my mind if I'll be broke and not be able to afford to have some fun also... Any adivce? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Shack up with a rich significant other.

OR

Be a playa (or a pigeon) and stay with a new partner every night.

Q, DO

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Apollyon
I lived in NY for prelim IM, had my own apartment, had digital cable, DSL, went on vacation to Tahiti, and still had $5K at the end of the year.

Ah, but tell the truth which outer borough did you live in? ;)

I did the rich signifcant other thing when I was there but my single resident friends did ok and certainly had fun too.

I just moved to NY two months ago for residency. I am single, living in Manhattan (upper west side), and opted not to go with resident housing. Sure, a little more expensive but it has its pluses. I got out regulary with my collegues and friends in the city. I am flying home for a birthday party in a month, and plan on going to Europe for vacation in October. I dont' come from a family of money, but I've learned how to be frugal when necessary. No, I don't think I'll have as much saved as some of my friends who chose to go to other cities, but I know that I'll be constantly entertained--which is why I chose NYC. Best of luck...

I'm a MSIV and live in Manhattan. NYC is very expensive e.g. $3.50 OJ and $10 movie tix; this is true. I'm living off government loans, but I get by pretty well now as is. I calculated that if I get a PGY1 position at 40G/year and stay at my current studio (loan repayment of 1G/mo and 25% income tax factored in) I would have a grand/mo to spend on food and entertainment. That's plenty to live on.

FYI, you will see ads in the Village Voice for a studio in Harlem for $800/mo. Those prices are for suckers. You can get a studio on the UWS or UES for that price if you actively search for rent-controlled apartments. There is however a broker's fee (10% of first year's rent) that I haven't figured how to get out of... Anyway, you can live in Brooklyn in Williamsburg or Park Slope, but I say why bother? The rents are equivalent, but subway service is undependable late at night and on weekends.