Cost of M1 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inspired Chaos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been casually looking into some materials that are frequently recommended for the pre-clinical years, and they do not appear affordable. I was wondering if these subscriptions are included in tuition at most schools? And if not, any idea how much money I might need to come up with?

FYI talking about things like Sketchy, Pathoma, etc

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends, for example, my school provided Pathoma and the most recent edition of First Aid. They even considered providing Firecracker but after a 1 month trial run they realized everybody used Anki more haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Just go use sub-optimal resources instead, make your life harder, score lower on tests and don't achieve your goals so you can save $13/month worth of loan money then.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The real question is... why do we pay tuition to sit at home and use non-school resources? I wonder if this will change one day. It probably will, right when I finish.

Reactions: 5 users
The real question is... why do we pay tuition to sit at home and use non-school resources? I wonder if this will change one day. It probably will, right when I finish.

I ask myself this question all the time. I use 0 school resources...I could do what I am doing even if I was never accepted. Every day I am reminded of the Matt Damon quote from Good Will Hunting: “You dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a f**in' education you coulda got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library.”

However, I am paying far more than 150k and only use 4 resources...how do you like them apples?

Reactions: 12 users
Fwiw, in medical school, unless you are trying to support a spouse and family, you don't have to "come up with" money. You get unlimited free monopoly money from the government, and then future-you slaves away to pay back ~200% of what you borrowed (plus taxes!), but it's okay because at that point you're making 10x as much money as today-you is making. Theoretically, anyways, so long as there aren't huge changes to healthcare/reimbursement, which could very possibly happen at some point in the next 10 years, but yolo.

I've had several people tell me they don't want to use Anki because $25 is too much money for an app. I've seen an M2 at my school using an outdated (2015!!!) copy of First Aid. I want to shake these people and show them the light, but maybe they don't want to see it.

There is so much at stake, and most of us are already going to be $300k in the hole at baseline... It just makes no sense to handicap yourself to save like $500. Even accounting for interest and taxes, that's less than a day's worth of salary once you become an attending. Give yourself every advantage you can. IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
I never said I was not going to spend the money. I said I'd have to come up with it. Idk how you guys are doing it, but my loans cover my tuition exactly. I do have a spouse (also a grad student) and multiple children. Money is an issue for me. I had to save for most of the year to pay to apply to 5 medical schools. I will figure it out, but I just wondered if the resources might be included like some resources in undergrad.

Reactions: 2 users
I ask myself this question all the time. I use 0 school resources...I could do what I am doing even if I was never accepted. Every day I am reminded of the Matt Damon quote from Good Will Hunting: “You dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a f**in' education you coulda got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library.”

However, I am paying far more than 150k and only use 4 resources...how do you like them apples?

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 11.02.55 PM.png

FML

Reactions: 3 users
I never said I was not going to spend the money. I said I'd have to come up with it. Idk how you guys are doing it, but my loans cover my tuition exactly. I do have a spouse (also a grad student) and multiple children. Money is an issue for me. I had to save for most of the year to pay to apply to 5 medical schools. I will figure it out, but I just wondered if the resources might be included like some resources in undergrad.
That's not normal. Loans typically include living expenses as well, and even if they don't, I've never seen an eductional loan without at least a small allowance for textbook purchases.

I'd consider sitting down for a conversation with your school's finaid officer, you may have more resources available than you think.

Reactions: 4 users
That's not normal. Loans typically include living expenses as well, and even if they don't, I've never seen an eductional loan without at least a small allowance for textbook purchases.

I'd consider sitting down for a conversation with your school's finaid officer, you may have more resources available than you think.

Seconded. Loans should cover cost of attendance which includes some money for additional educational expenses as well as living costs. Granted, with multiple kids and a grad school spouse your living costs are likely higher than average, but you should have enough for things like $100 worth of Pathoma.

Seconded. Loans should cover cost of attendance which includes some money for additional educational expenses as well as living costs. Granted, with multiple kids and a grad school spouse your living costs are likely higher than average, but you should have enough for things like $100 worth of Pathoma.
Thirded. My school gave me an extra $30k to cover books/housing/etc., most of which I turned down.

My school does offer loans up to the COA, in the form of grad PLUS loans. Those require good credit, so I'm not eligible for those. I don't even know anyone with good credit or else I could have someone co-sign. The loans that I can take out without a credit check only cover my tuition. It should be the same everywhere as far as I'm aware.

I definitely plan on saving up for some or all of the materials I need, but I will have to pay for things one at a time. By the way, one of them I was looking at was over $300, unless i misunderstood the pricing. That is a lot of money in my life.

Thirded. My school gave me an extra $30k to cover books/housing/etc., most of which I turned down.

So I've been casually looking into some materials that are frequently recommended for the pre-clinical years, and they do not appear affordable. I was wondering if these subscriptions are included in tuition at most schools? And if not, any idea how much money I might need to come up with?

FYI talking about things like Sketchy, Pathoma, etc

You're correct that you could spend a small fortune on all of the study aids and supplements available to med students--on top of an already alarming amount of money required for classroom-assigned texts and materials.

Some key points to remember:

- As many have already mentioned, you will not typically have to "come up with" the money for such supplies from savings, a side job, begging parents, etc. Schools typically do a good job of approving you for enough money from government-issued student loans to pay for your tuition, reasonable room and board, and necessary textbooks, equipment, and study aids. So you will have the money when the time comes.

- That said, it is NEVER too early to start thinking about loan repayment and minimizing the amount of money you are spending during med school. By the time current students are done with residency, most will likely have somewhere in the $250-350k range of total student loans (just form med school) to pay back--sometimes more for private schools or if one lives in an expensive city. If you refinance that after starting your first job (to a 4-5% interest rate over 10 years, for example), that will mean you're paying back about $2.5-3k per month in student loan repayments over that period. Even making a typical physician's salary, that is a lot of money. And you will quickly grow to resent having to pay that out each month. So remember that every dollar you spend while in med school is going to cost you 2-3 times that (after interest and your higher tax rate on the back end) during repayment.

- Moral of the above story is to evaluate study aids carefully. I definitely fell victim to the FOMO mentality at times during med school, purchasing far more reading materials than I would ever have time to actually read in preparation for USMLE, shelf exams, anatomy class, etc. Figure out what types of materials work best for your study habits, be realistic when assessing how much time you actually plan to devote to studying for a specific exam or course, and purchase accordingly. Don't just buy everything under the sun "just in case" it might be helpful. Also realize that your school library may have materials available for borrowing--and you can always make arrangements with classmates to share books.

Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
My school does offer loans up to the COA, in the form of grad PLUS loans. Those require good credit, so I'm not eligible for those. I don't even know anyone with good credit or else I could have someone co-sign. The loans that I can take out without a credit check only cover my tuition. It should be the same everywhere as far as I'm aware.

I definitely plan on saving up for some or all of the materials I need, but I will have to pay for things one at a time. By the way, one of them I was looking at was over $300, unless i misunderstood the pricing. That is a lot of money in my life.
They require 'not absolutely sh¡tty credit'...you don't know anyone who hasn't completely tanked on that front?

Seems counterintutive, right. But it's better way to learn than coming to class (except for TBL type formats, which we'll be seeing more of), and you pay for the Faculty to guide you to mastery of the material. The resources are just that: resources.

And more importantly, your faculty are the barrier between you and patients until you demonstrate to them that you have mastered the material and won't kill said patients. That's what you're paying for.

BTW, MD schools lose money on teaching students. Any decent academic dep't can make more money on indirects from grants than they can from an entire class of student tuition. DO schools can get away with it because they don't have those pesky accreditation requirements like research.
On the cost of educating a medical student. - PubMed - NCBI