Cost of NS procedures and equipment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conqueror

Doctor Light, P-H-D!!!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I work for a neurosurgeon several days a week as an internship of sorts. His group performs all types of pediatric neurosurgical procedures, as well as some adult cases. I've been wondering some of the costs/compensations involved in his practice, but obviously it would be improper of me to ask him directly. I've tried searching the AANS, JNS, etc., but O can't find relevant information anywhere. I figure the anonymity of SDN might give me a little more help.

Does anyone know any of the following?

- Cost to patient of VP/VA shunt creation? Surgeon compensation for same?
- See above, but for Chiari Malformation?
- See above, but for tethered cord release?
- See above, but for complex intracranial work? (ie, tumor excision)

- Cost of a Leica OH3 surgical microscope?
- Cost of a Medtronics Stealth frameless stereotactic system?
- Cost of a set of custom loupes?

Any other pertinent info would be greatly appreciated; it will help me with my reporting at the end of the semester.

CQ

Members don't see this ad.

Wow... 116 views and not a peep? How about the average (and recent) salaries of neurosurgeons both in private practice and academia?

CQ

A good operating microscope such as the Leica OH3 costs around 280k and a stereotactic system such as the vectorVision I am familar with cost around 700k. Loops can cost around a grand if prescription lenses are needed.

As for your other questions, if you have a good relationship with him ask him. Or ask someone in his office the reimbursement rate for those procedures. Contact an insurance company and ask them what type of rates they pay out.

Conqueror said:
Hi all!

I work for a neurosurgeon several days a week as an internship of sorts. His group performs all types of pediatric neurosurgical procedures, as well as some adult cases. I've been wondering some of the costs/compensations involved in his practice, but obviously it would be improper of me to ask him directly. I've tried searching the AANS, JNS, etc., but O can't find relevant information anywhere. I figure the anonymity of SDN might give me a little more help.

Does anyone know any of the following?

- Cost to patient of VP/VA shunt creation? Surgeon compensation for same?
- See above, but for Chiari Malformation?
- See above, but for tethered cord release?
- See above, but for complex intracranial work? (ie, tumor excision)

- Cost of a Leica OH3 surgical microscope?
- Cost of a Medtronics Stealth frameless stereotactic system?
- Cost of a set of custom loupes?

Any other pertinent info would be greatly appreciated; it will help me with my reporting at the end of the semester.

CQ