Variety of surgical procedures in nsgy onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdnals

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a third year medical student. Neurosurgery is still on the table for me but I don't have a home program so it's difficult to get exposure/advice. I'm working on making some connections so I can preview the field a bit, but I'm curious about the diversity of surgical procedures of neurosurgeons who specialize in oncology. In other specialties, I've noticed a fairly rich diversity of procedures because those surgeons are responsible for multiple organs. Obviously in neurosurgery, you're really only responsible for the brain and spine. So where does the variety in procedures arise from? The opening method? Location of tumor and approach? The actual resection of the tumor? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I'm a third year medical student. Neurosurgery is still on the table for me but I don't have a home program so it's difficult to get exposure/advice. I'm working on making some connections so I can preview the field a bit, but I'm curious about the diversity of surgical procedures of neurosurgeons who specialize in oncology. In other specialties, I've noticed a fairly rich diversity of procedures because those surgeons are responsible for multiple organs. Obviously in neurosurgery, you're really only responsible for the brain and spine. So where does the variety in procedures arise from? The opening method? Location of tumor and approach? The actual resection of the tumor? Thanks!

You should ask mmmcdowe on his neurosurg AMA. He's a soon to be PGY-5.

There is a lot of variety -- i.e., most neurosurgeons doing an onc fellowship deal mostly with brain tumors, which can be variable. A craniopharyngioma is a very different beast from a clival chordoma, GBM, or acoustic neuroma in the treatment, the approach, etc. Each craniopharyingioma in pediatric neurosurgery requires an individual approach - -some require an open crani, others may be resectable via a transphenoidal route, and still others may be best dealt with through an endoscopic, intraventricular approach. Onc neurosugeons may get the occasional intramedullary spinal cord tumors, but so may a general or a complex spine neurosurgeon, who may also do complex spinal reconstructions from lesions destroying the anterior column necessitating a corpectomy and fusion. A peripheral nerve neurosurgeon may also deal with tumors affecting the brachial plexus or malignant nerve sheath tumors, etc.

You should ask mmmcdowe on his neurosurg AMA. He's a soon to be PGY-5.

Will do. Thanks!

There is a lot of variety -- i.e., most neurosurgeons doing an onc fellowship deal mostly with brain tumors, which can be variable. A craniopharyngioma is a very different beast from a clival chordoma, GBM, or acoustic neuroma in the treatment, the approach, etc. Each craniopharyingioma in pediatric neurosurgery requires an individual approach - -some require an open crani, others may be resectable via a transphenoidal route, and still others may be best dealt with through an endoscopic, intraventricular approach. Onc neurosugeons may get the occasional intramedullary spinal cord tumors, but so may a general or a complex spine neurosurgeon, who may also do complex spinal reconstructions from lesions destroying the anterior column necessitating a corpectomy and fusion. A peripheral nerve neurosurgeon may also deal with tumors affecting the brachial plexus or malignant nerve sheath tumors, etc.

Wow, thanks for the in-depth response! I think I've lined up some opportunities to get in with a few neurosurgeons so I can see more but in the meantime your post was very helpful and informative!