Costco part time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GP7777

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on accepting a per-diem position at Costco? Main concerns are job stability and whether it's easy or not to transition to full time. Worth making the jump from full time at WM/WG/3-letter?

Any other pros/cons are appreciated. I know they are closed on Sundays and holidays, are better staffed, and you get a paid lunch? Are there any frustrating aspects with workflow compared to the other chains? Does anyone regret switching over to Costco?

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice on accepting a per-diem position at Costco? Main concerns are job stability and whether it's easy or not to transition to full time. Worth making the jump from full time at WM/WG/3-letter?

Any other pros/cons are appreciated. I know they are closed on Sundays and holidays, are better staffed, and you get a paid lunch? Are there any frustrating aspects with workflow compared to the other chains? Does anyone regret switching over to Costco?

If you can get into Costco - I would recommend to just do it if you can afford it. That place is like the Fort Knox of retail pharmacy and not easy to get into (unless your a technician of course).

Everyone that I know that works there seems to be oblivious to what retail is like outside of costco. It’s like they think it’s still 2015 or something. Not so good that they would think is 2005, but 2015 is about right.

Can you work at both? Screw wags - just don’t tell them. This may be worth it to get to know them for a few months to assess if you can find a full time somewhere.

If you have some vacation time saved up at wags you could use a few weeks over the next few months to free up time to work at Costco.

Just some ideas…

If you can get into Costco - I would recommend to just do it if you can afford it. That place is like the Fort Knox of retail pharmacy and not easy to get into (unless your a technician of course).

Everyone that I know that works there seems to be oblivious to what retail is like outside of costco. It’s like they think it’s still 2015 or something. Not so good that they would think is 2005, but 2015 is about right.

Can you work at both? Screw wags - just don’t tell them. This may be worth it to get to know them for a few months to assess if you can find a full time somewhere.

If you have some vacation time saved up at wags you could use a few weeks over the next few months to free up time to work at Costco.

Just some ideas…
There are also Sam's and Walmart Neighborhood Pharmacy. Plenty of help and low volume Rxs

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your financial situation- loans, mortgage, kids, whether you have a significant other and s/he has an income.
I hear Costco is the unicorn of the retail world.
If you're short on hours, perhaps you can Uber/Lyft/DoorDash in the meanwhile, which is not uncommon for pharmacists nowadays.
Remember your health is the most important.

Reactions: 1 user
I did per diem at Costco for a couple of years. Honestly, I don’t see the appeal. Maybe it’s better than other retail jobs, but it pales in comparison to even a bad hospital. They had a ton of per diems, most semi-retired, so there weren’t a ton of hours except when one of the full timers went on vacation. Then they wanted like full time coverage. So I could rarely work when I was needed. And maybe I was at a poorly run store, but the techs needed a lot of micromanaging. I was used to per diem jobs where I’d stand in the middle and check stuff. At Costco I was constantly havi by to move the techs around as they’d all end up at the in window and nobody wanted to count pills.

Reactions: 1 user
So is it per diem or part-time? You have to check your contract for any non-compete clauses but i would definitely consider per-diem while working your full-time job if you can.