Part-time vs full-time base rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_RxRated

Reaction score
I was offered a part-time pharmacist position that will eventually lead to full-time within the very near future, but the base rate took me by surprise (it’s about 15% lower than the full-time offer I received for a pharmacist role in retail within the same company). The part-time position is for the specialty arm of the company but it’s within the same state (which is why it didn’t expect the difference to be so drastic). Do part time employees make a lower base rate than full time?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How much was it and what regional area are you in?

And if I remember right you said you were specialty pharmacy? This is typically comparable to retail. It’s just a fancy way of saying retail and you handle meds that a little less typical often times behind closed doors.

I’ll say right now it’s not common to get an increase at all going from part to full time in a lateral position - let alone a 15% increase as this is significant. My guess is that they are creating a new baseline with new grads

Last edited:

And if I remember right you said you were specialty pharmacy? This is typically comparable to retail. It’s just a fancy way of saying retail and you handle meds that a little less typical often times behind closed doors.

I’ll say right now it’s not common to get an increase at all going from part to full time in a lateral position - let alone a 15% increase as this is significant. My guess is that they are creating a new baseline with new grads

Correct! $50 and CT (pretty much NYC). Retail was $57. But yeah, I think they’re really trying to lower the new grad pay. It’s sad how low it’s gotten in only a few years, especially in a high COL area.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Correct! $50 and CT (pretty much NYC). Retail was $57. But yeah, I think they’re really trying to lower the new grad pay. It’s sad how low it’s gotten in only a few years.

Yea - unfortunately it does not sound too far off anymore. I would not expect a pay adjustment going from part to full time. They are likely paying less banking on the concept that you will take it to avoid the horrors of retail pharmacy at wags/cvs.

Seriously - unless you have top shelf cardiac and mental health - you simply can’t do retail anymore at a place like wags. It’s like being on a full blast tread mill on an upward incline while being subjected to constant insults and psychological torture while being forced to listen to the song “sunshine lollipops” on repeat on full blast all day long every day.

The worst part is - every day you are expected to have a very good day. If you ever have a bad day and get even a little behind - you better figure out how to loose another 20 minutes to meet with the alcoholic store manager the next morning while he slurs words out telling you that you need to meet metrics better

I’m not bitter at all. I’m totally cool

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Yea - unfortunately it does not sound too far off anymore. I would not expect a pay adjustment going from part to full time. They are likely paying less banking on the concept that you will take it to avoid the horrors of retail pharmacy at wags/cvs.

Seriously - unless you have top shelf cardiac and mental health - you simply can’t do retail anymore at a place like wags. It’s like being on a full blast tread mill on an upward incline while being subjected to constant insults and psychological torture while being forced to listen to the song “sunshine lollipops” on repeat on full blast all day long every day.

The worst part is - every day you are expected to have a very good day. If you ever have a bad day and get even a little behind - you better figure out how to loose another 20 minutes to meet with the alcoholic store manager the next morning while he slurs words out telling you that you need to meet metrics better

100% agree. I have POTS and working retail as an intern takes a toll on me (physically and mentally), I even work at a low-script store that feels more like an independent volume with amazing staff but even then it’s a lot to take on sometimes. I worked at a busy store with terrible staff for about 1.5 years. I came home crying each night there and then with my POTS I could barely walk or move for a day, so my off-days were spent recovering. So yes, the pay cut is 100% worth it for me. Of course it’ll still have its own stress, but not at all comparable to retail.

Why don't you ask for 15% more?

I had a rotation at Walgreens and couldn't stand the music. Couldn't wait to leave just so I didn't have to listen to the same crappy song and commercial all day.

if the specialty is behind closed doors (ie. no walk up public, no phone calls, etc) - it might be worth a lower salary -hence why they are offering it. Generally part time and full time get comparable salary- sometimes even the part time/prn get paid more bc they don't get benefits.

Reactions: 1 users

Just say no. They are not dealing with you honestly. The part time rate should be higher if it doesn't include benefits. And don't trust promises not made in writing.

it might be worth a lower salary -hence why they are offering it.

they are offering it to underpay the pharmacists, which is the ONLY reason they ever offer lowball prices. Afterall, CVS/Caremart is not paying them, so they don't want to pay you.

It will be when they can't find someone. Everything is negotiable.
exactly- everything in life is negotiable at some point - just depends who has the most leverage

Reactions: 1 users
exactly- everything in life is negotiable at some point - just depends who has the most leverage

Yeah, I tried negotiating but unfortunately they said it’s nonnegotiable due to it being comparable to other similar part-time positions in the district.

if the specialty is behind closed doors (ie. no walk up public, no phone calls, etc) - it might be worth a lower salary -hence why they are offering it. Generally part time and full time get comparable salary- sometimes even the part time/prn get paid more bc they don't get benefits.

I ended up accepting the offer because of that. I have an autonomic nervous system disorder that flares up with long periods of standing and high stress, so I had to get out of retail. If they were offering that low for a retail job I would’ve straight up declined.