Couch to 5K

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is my training goal for the next two years:

http://www.youmaydie.com/

----

So, what's the plan for the group?

Cash, prizes, public humiliation, hazing?

My training goal for sometime in the far-ish future: http://www.tusseymountainback.com

I think a group is good for, I dunno, encouragement? Maybe if people want to list their upcoming goals/ races, etc. that would be pretty awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

Ellie are you paying for the program or doing it yourself? Just wondering because I have been making my own "diet" plans but find it easiest when someone or something is telling me exactly what to buy and eat. :rolleyes:

I am paying for the program. The online though, not the one where you go to meetings. I can tell you more about it if you want, but it doesn't tell you exactly what to buy and eat. Part of what I love about it is the flexibility. You can eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your daily "points" value. By doing this, it's not getting you to crash diet and lose weight quickly but rather build habits and skills you can keep for life, such as good choices in food, portion control, foods with more fiber and protein and less carbs and fat, etc. Also rewards you in certain ways for being active and gives you little milestone awards for losing 5 lbs, losing 10% of your body weight, etc. It's really awesome and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Oh and I signed up for the running group!! I'll be making my first entry on Wednesday!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just put up a little challenge on the forum over there, if anyone wants to take it up.

10 miles total, at any pace, over the next seven days. 3/22-3/29

If 5 miles sounds more your speed, that's fine too.

Post what you're up for running in the next week.

I've found it's a lot easier to get the exercise done if you make some kind of commitment to it, even if it's to strangers on a message board.

I'm in as WetVet.

No laughing at the patheticity of my starting pace. :)

Deal. I think that grandmothers in Rascals can outpace me, and that's when I'm fit. Damn short legs!

Deal. I think that grandmothers in Rascals can outpace me, and that's when I'm fit. Damn short legs!

turtle-race.gif

We're smart. We don't need to be fast.

Just reading this thread was enough motivation to make me get on my treadmill and run a mile!!

Me too! I am in! I have been thinking about running for a while now. Any of us who have dogs will be benefitting our animals too. I am not sure if I am going to start out at the gym (I have a 24 hour fitness membership that I haven't used in forever) or streets.

Thank you everyone who has posted!

I'm in as WetVet.

No laughing at the patheticity of my starting pace. :)

For any MN residents or future residents out there; MN has a TON of great races coming up. Everything from 1 mile to 50K+ if you are that hardcore. There are some really fun 5Ks in June and July featuring obstacle courses (Go Commando and The Warrior Dash). Basically these involve running a 5K while navigating a mud pit, fire pit, crawling over a hay bale, rappelling down a wall, climbing a cargo net, etc. It is SO much fun, great to do with a team or with friends, and there is free beer at the end. What could be better?! So...if anyone in the area is interested in what races are out there, let me know! I am a member of the Minnesota Distance Running Association, so I have a calendar with every race being run in 2011. I hate running, but races (plus the swag you get and the free beer) are a great motivators, especially with a group of people involved!

Last edited:
10 miles total, at any pace, over the next seven days. 3/22-3/29

When I first read this I thought you meant to do a 10 mile run in the next seven days. I was like :eek:

You guys ROCK!!!!! Thank you SOOOO much for the advice!! :biglove:

I walked myself over to the running store after my shift yesterday and had the most amazing sneaker experience of my life!!! I got matched up with a chick that ran a 50K (yeah, you read that right!!) over the weekend and she was incredibly helpful. Discussed my issues, talked about my gait, got me on the treadmill (albeit it briefly), and tried on six different pairs of sneaks.

Walked out with a bitchin' new pair of Brooks and an insole that I can switch into my work shoes to give my knee more stability. Took the Brooks for an inaugural walk this morning and not one issue! No after pain either. :D If things continue to go well, I'll hopefully be joining you all. Just have to take it slow...

Thanks again!!!!!

I walked myself over to the running store after my shift yesterday and had the most amazing sneaker experience of my life!!! I got matched up with a chick that ran a 50K (yeah, you read that right!!) over the weekend and she was incredibly helpful. Discussed my issues, talked about my gait, got me on the treadmill (albeit it briefly), and tried on six different pairs of sneaks.

Walked out with a bitchin' new pair of Brooks and an insole that I can switch into my work shoes to give my knee more stability. Took the Brooks for an inaugural walk this morning and not one issue! No after pain either. :D If things continue to go well, I'll hopefully be joining you all. Just have to take it slow...

Thanks again!!!!!

Awesome! That sounds like one amazing sneaker store, treadmill and all! Glad they were able to help you out!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am doing the Nation's Marathon in D.C. this weekend ...it'll be my 10th marathon. :) I have a friend who has done over 100 marathons (that is kinda disturbing!!).

I am doing the Nation's Marathon in D.C. this weekend ...it'll be my 10th marathon. :) I have a friend who has done over 100 marathons (that is kinda disturbing!!).

Me too! Well, the half...I am training for Boston in April! Good luck! I am a coach with Potomac River Runners so look for our tent! Stop by and say hi!!

This thread is so exciting! I love running:love:.

In my experience, the most important part of starting to run is making sure you have the proper shoes and you can have fun with it! Plan fun routes! Find running groups in the area to keep you motivated! Most running stores have a fun run one day a week with people of all levels, that is a great way to make yourself get out the door.

Also, sign up for a race ASAP! It will get you motivated also sometimes writing out a schedule is super helpful. When I was training for my first marathon I wrote out an excel worksheet and every day I completed my run I changed the box to red...indicating that I completed the days workout. It was so satisfying.

Thanks again!!!!!

I loooove brooks! Nice and soft. Taking it slow is so important...trying to keep your heart rate low..run -walk is an awesome way to start!

Yay! Good luck! I did Boston in 2005. However, I am wee bit slower now than when I qual'd in 2004 for it. I am a member of Reston Runners (although I have not run with them in a while ;)). I wish I had more marathons under my belt...but with school and work and animal stuff and volunteering...gosh who has the time...so I just did lots 'o' half marathons over the past several years...more maintainable distances...

Yes, I will look for your tent...and I guess I will walk around saying "Coach Axel123"?? Will you respond to that??!! :) :)

I used to keep track of all that stuff with training stuff...now it is kind of just in my head. ;)

Shoes that fit you properly is key. I was sold on orthodics a loooong time and then I just got better fitting shoes, I replace them regularly (when they expire...I can always tell when the soles my feet start to hurt just for a short 4 or 5 mile run...that is time to replace)....I try to stretch and ice a lot when needed.

I actually have a road bike and when the weather is nice, now to Octoberish,...I prefer to bike one or two days a week in place of running. I actually think I like biking better than running...but biking is kind of seasonal for me plus you have all the gear and to have a good ride you need to be out riding for many hours, in my opinion.

Yay! Good luck! I did Boston in 2005. However, I am wee bit slower now than when I qual'd in 2004 for it. I am a member of Reston Runners (although I have not run with them in a while ;)). I wish I had more marathons under my belt...but with school and work and animal stuff and volunteering...gosh who has the time...so I just did lots 'o' half marathons over the past several years...more maintainable distances...

Yes, I will look for your tent...and I guess I will walk around saying "Coach Axel123"?? Will you respond to that??!! :) :)

I used to keep track of all that stuff with training stuff...now it is kind of just in my head. ;)

Shoes that fit you properly is key. I was sold on orthodics a loooong time and then I just got better fitting shoes, I replace them regularly (when they expire...I can always tell when the soles my feet start to hurt just for a short 4 or 5 mile run...that is time to replace)....I try to stretch and ice a lot when needed.

Thanks!! I know it is so hard to fit everything in...If I wasnt coaching the long runs for our training program there is no way I would have done them myself! :p

Anyway GOOD LUCK to you too!!! Yes, just see if Axel is around (most people know that is the name of my horsie!) I will be there probably until the end. :luck::luck::luck: (I also have crazy curly brown hair and will probably be very near this tiny tiny little ball of energy woman named Taneen!)

When I was training for my first marathon I wrote out an excel worksheet and every day I completed my run I changed the box to red...indicating that I completed the days workout. It was so satisfying.

Heh. Funny. That's how I handled my vet school pre-reqs. People thought I was so weird when, every semester, I'd gleefully change a couple boxes from red to green (green for 'go!').

Putting it on a spreadsheet was the only way I could visualize all the classes (and their own pre-reqs) well enough to figure out the quickest way to do them all.

Back on topic. I started last night. Next run/walk Wednesday. If I get time I think I'm stealing the pic dsmoody posted and turning it into my forum avatar.

So those of you saying yer gonna start..... yer not gonna let a 41-year-old guy who hasn't seriously exercised in a decade get out ahead of you. Right?

Okay, Axel123, I will look for you!! Good luck!!!

I just joined the group!

Now all I need is for the weather in Phila to be consistently pleasant so I can get off the treadmill and run outside!

PS - this was just the motivation I needed! :thumbup:Thanks for starting the group!

:)

I decided to start tonight. Should be interesting since I haven't gone running since high school.

Would love to qualify for Boston some day.....

I should get 10 in over the next week. 2mi easy today, 5 mi tempo on Thursday, 2 mi easy on friday, 9 mi long on Sunday (although it will probably end up being around 6 because I've missed a couple weekends of longs due to horrendous weather).

If anyone else is doing National Marathon chime in....we could meet up at the beer station afterwards!! :)

Someone tell me how to make my tendon heel faster! I'm gonna get left behind! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Someone tell me how to make my tendon heel faster! I'm gonna get left behind! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

icing has worked for me with any kind of injury....I have IT band, etc and some resting and icing....and stretching. Icing is really important, I do believe. Like icing for 40 minutes everyday for I don't know a week or more maybe two weeks depending on how bad.

Last edited:
I love the couch to 5K program, but hate having to look at my watch(my phone), or dealing with an elliptical/treadmill(I use the treadmill sometimes, but am always afraid of falling off and feel like I don't push myself as hard because of that) to figure out the times, I'm much more fond of being able to zone out, makes it seem faster.

Anyway my solution, a while back when I downloaded itunes to my new computer I actually glanced at the "getting started" screen and saw that you can download free podcasts on a lot of different topics-- and one of them is a couch to 5K training one, so you just download it listen to the house music and the guy tells you when to walk/run/cool-down. Much better for me anyway if I am running outside.

Go to the iTunes store, pick podcasts on the top banner, then iTunes picks podcasts on the right menu- and then you'll get a bunch of categories and there is one just for running-- once there the couch to 5k one is called "podcasts for running" but there are a bunch of others for the more advanced runners here who want some sort of direction or change up while running. Good luck and happy running! I got out of the habit over the winter too, so I'm probably going to start up with yall as well :)

She means cold like achoo.

Doh. Sorry, SH, I just misunderstood.

a while back when I downloaded itunes to my new computer I actually glanced at the "getting started" screen and saw that you can download free podcasts on a lot of different topics-- and one of them is a couch to 5K training one, so you just download it listen to the house music and the guy tells you when to walk/run/cool-down.

Oh, that's awesome. I'll have to hunt that down. Thank you!!

Hello Anjabren,

Love the picture of your African Grey!!! :D

That reminds me...

I did quite a lot of sprinting this winter. When the snow drifts are midway up your thighs and blowing in your face, it's a heck of a lot easier to take a deep breath and RUN through them rather than walk through them.

Don't take it one step at a time. All you'll be thinking is "I can't see!", "My hands are cold!", "D'oh, I got snow in my boots!", "Ah crap, my jeans are soaked!", "Is this a good enough reason to miss my neuro test?" So just boot it! Sure, you'll look like a crazy person, but you'll be a lot warmer and you be kicking yourself for missing the bus because you took too long.

Somehow I missed this thread...anyway, I'm in! Just the motivation I need right now, with a planned schedule and everything. Starting tomorrow. :)

Remember to post your runs on runningahead! I can't wait to see all the progress everyone is going to make! :)

Did day one today because yesterday a migraine threw a wrench in all my plans. Ran EVEN THOUGH it was cold and rainy. Take THAT, weather!

I feel so good ! I also am quitting smoking this week. And my boyfriend/unofficial fiance and I are looking at a house to buy, this weekend, and I may even have a steady job come June. So life is really on the up and up. Funny how the change of seasons really helps motivate me. Now I just need to finish my thesis and all will be good. :luck:

Did day one today because yesterday a migraine threw a wrench in all my plans. Ran EVEN THOUGH it was cold and rainy. Take THAT, weather!

I feel so good ! I also am quitting smoking this week. And my boyfriend/unofficial fiance and I are looking at a house to buy, this weekend, and I may even have a steady job come June. So life is really on the up and up. Funny how the change of seasons really helps motivate me. Now I just need to finish my thesis and all will be good. :luck:

Yesterday was naaaasty. I'm really happy we had nice weather for spring break, but going back to angry Wisco-spring-rain-fest is disappointing. :| You're in Madison, right? When my tedinitis is better, we should be running buddies!

Congrats LMMS on your new shoes!!!!

Oh, and good luck this weekend Tambotie - running a marathon (just setting my sights on one right now) is definitely on my bucket list. Right now though, I am just working on getting through my 2nd 5K :p

Someone mentioned about signing up for a race, and I definitely second that idea. I was trying to run to get in shape, I would start the C25K, but never really follow through, leave it for a few months, go back to it, leave it...you know the drill. But then a friend got me to sign up for a race and it was really motivating - I had to train if I wanted to finish. Now I am training to try and bring my time down. For me, it is a lot more motivating when there is a goal I'm working towards.

Oh, and now off to log in this week's runs.

Yesterday was naaaasty. I'm really happy we had nice weather for spring break, but going back to angry Wisco-spring-rain-fest is disappointing. :| You're in Madison, right? When my tedinitis is better, we should be running buddies!

I did my first "run" (more like "old-guy shuffle") on Monday, which means my second is tonight.

So it was really awesome to get up to 6 inches of snow ... and it's been snowing all day.

Ah well. I'm committed. And it just makes a shower feel better afterward.

Someone mentioned about signing up for a race, and I definitely second that idea.

Thanks for the advice: seems reasonable. Personally, I'm motivated a fair bit by people like dsmoody throwing down the gauntlet, but if signing up for a race will help, I'll do that, too. There's a 5k within a few weeks of when I'll be done with c25k right near my house.

I did my first "run" (more like "old-guy shuffle") on Monday, which means my second is tonight.

So it was really awesome to get up to 6 inches of snow ... and it's been snowing all day.

Oof. Do you run outside? Be careful not to shuffle too much and slip on unshoveled sidewalks!

Thanks Packen!! I hope my neighbors above be will be "quiet" so I can sleep Friday night!!! :)

I am kinda nervous b/c I have a nagging pain behind my knee that has been giving me some probs....so just icing it now. :)

Oof. Do you run outside? Be careful not to shuffle too much and slip on unshoveled sidewalks!

That's right: Not only will I (likely) be the oldest guy in UMN c/o 2015, but I'll be the one recovering from a broken hip! :) :)

I'll be careful. But I know me: If I don't stay committed I'll never get started. I'm actually trying to think of an indoor place to run for tonight, but so far not coming up with much. No biggie.

That's right: Not only will I (likely) be the oldest guy in UMN c/o 2015, but I'll be the one recovering from a broken hip! :) :)

I'll be careful. But I know me: If I don't stay committed I'll never get started. I'm actually trying to think of an indoor place to run for tonight, but so far not coming up with much. No biggie.

Perhaps your impending hip replacement will help with studying for anatomy?

I kid, I kid. Good luck getting out there in this weather!

Thanks for the advice: seems reasonable. Personally, I'm motivated a fair bit by people like dsmoody throwing down the gauntlet, but if signing up for a race will help, I'll do that, too. There's a 5k within a few weeks of when I'll be done with c25k right near my house.

The gauntlet always does it for a certain variety of person.

I've been busy as hell, but your 2 miles has been taunting me for the last 36 hours.

A bit of light competition is probably the best way to get a bunch of type-A nerds to run.