Couch to 5K

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Decided not to do it anymore.

Motivating stuff.

Don't worry. I'll do it enough for both of us.

images

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't forget to log your miles, (if you're comfortable doing that).

The "training log" menu at the top drops down, and you'll see "enter your run".

Then you can see your mile / time total on the "Report" page.

And we can see it too, if you enable that.

-----------

So far, Niri is entirely smoking everyone else. By a multiple of 4.

Awaring is rocking second place.

But the old dudes (Wetvet and myself)are slowly jogging in a distant 3rd-ish.

Withoutane also made a distinguished first appearance the other day.

MOAR RUN

images

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'll run again once I can go two minutes without snot running down my face. :hungover:

I think you're still invisible.

Nothing is showing up next to your name.

Also, feel better. A good cure for any sickness at all, including Ebola and SARS, is running way far.

images

What's the website to sign up again? I'm lazy and don't feel like thumbing through all the pages to find it.

But the old dudes (Wetvet and myself)are slowly jogging in a distant 3rd-ish.

If it's like my son's gymnastics meets, they give prizes all the way out to about 99th place, so I can still bring something home from the SDN run-off.

C25K Day 3 complete. Rawr. I told myself that since C25K is 3 days/week I'd do M/W/F, but I'm really kind of enjoying myself, so I may just go every other day, give or take. Tonight was awesome at 27 degrees. Perfect temp.

What's the website to sign up again? I'm lazy and don't feel like thumbing through all the pages to find it.

http://www.runningahead.com

Under the Community->User Groups, go look for "SDN Pre-Vet Runners".....

168135 said:

What's up with SH showing up as 168135?

thanks letitsnow. that website is pretty cool!

So, I totally suck, haha! My piddly little 2 miles in 27 mins...I'll get there though, workout 2 tomorrow!

"What's up with SH showing up as 168135?" Yeah, noticed that in another thread too. Weird...

I meant to run this morning but got lazy because I am sore from weightlifting yesterday. However, I have a 7 miler planned for tomorrow and a 5 miler planned for Sunday. I decided a while ago to run my first half marathon instead of go to my undergrad graduation ceremony (it sounded super boring and I found a half marathon on the same day). I feel soooo behind. I just haven't done enough long mileage runs - I usually only have time for 3-5 milers. Long story short, I'm gonna be trying to catch up in the next few weeks. :thumbup:

I didn't start this week like I said I would because I hadn't planned on it (had originally planned to start the first week of School, starting Monday), so I didn't have any running clothes and more importantly, shoes. They're all back at my apartment in Columbus and I've been at my parents' house for spring break over the past week. So I will start 'er up on Monday =) Great job to everyone who's been going already!!

Well, my body told me very sternly that I wasn't ready to run 7 miles yet so I ran 5 miles and 10 min/mi pace. I'm gonna run another 5 miles tomorrow and a handful of 3-4 milers this week and try the 7 mile run again next week.

and Lissarae slides in to 3rd place. 7 miles this week!

Everyone here is posting five miles, ten miles, wanting to run marathons. That's awesome. I know that I just started back running this week, but how long can I expect before I won't completely be out of breathe after only a mile? :D Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone here is posting five miles, ten miles, wanting to run marathons. That's awesome. I know that I just started back running this week, but how long can I expect before I won't completely be out of breathe after only a mile? :D Any suggestions?

Have you looked into the Couch to 5K program that was discussed towards the beginning of this thread? C25K will have you running 3 miles in 10 weeks. And trust me, as someone who never ran before doing the C25K and isn't very athletic, it WORKS. Give it a shot!

Just keep going.

Keep to whatever schedule you're using (the program in this thread is a good start) and don't worry too much about times or distances.

In a few weeks, you'll surprise the s*it out of yourself.

Equally, if you were ever previously in running shape, it comes back very quickly.

Oh, what the hey, I'm in. Though, I implore you all not to laugh (at least not loudly) at my pathetic times/distances. I've never been a good runner/athlete. The only sport I'm good at is horseback riding, but I'm trying to find something to replace that in the hopes I get into AVC and have to leave my horse behind. :oops:

Oh, what the hey, I'm in. Though, I implore you all not to laugh (at least not loudly) at my pathetic times/distances. I've never been a good runner/athlete. The only sport I'm good at is horseback riding, but I'm trying to find something to replace that in the hopes I get into AVC and have to leave my horse behind. :oops:

If I can do it, you can do it. Seriously. :)

Have you looked into the Couch to 5K program that was discussed towards the beginning of this thread? C25K will have you running 3 miles in 10 weeks. And trust me, as someone who never ran before doing the C25K and isn't very athletic, it WORKS. Give it a shot!

I have tried it, but didn't start from the very beginning and ended up with IT band syndrome. Right now, I am running a mile straight, but maybe I should start the program from the very beginning so I don't pull up lame again. :D

Second workout done! Seemed harder than the first, maybe because I upped my running speed a tad. even though I felt like I was having a heart attack, a couple hours later I feel gooooood. :)

I'm trying not to compare myself to some of you guys...slow and steady wins the race?

I'm trying not to compare myself to some of you guys...slow and steady wins the race?

So honestly one of my favorite things about running is being in competition with myself and my own personal records. Sometimes competition is important (and fun), but not to the point where it's depressing to look at other people's times.

Case in point: The satisfaction of beating a girl in my first marathon who wore a tutu and crown (so I always recognized her), but more importantly, that feeling of triumph seeing (and crossing) the finish line.

So honestly one of my favorite things about running is being in competition with myself and my own personal records. Sometimes competition is important (and fun), but not to the point where it's depressing to look at other people's times.

Case in point: The satisfaction of beating a girl in my first marathon who wore a tutu and crown (so I always recognized her), but more importantly, that feeling of triumph seeing (and crossing) the finish line.

Yeah I understand that too, not to say it's not playing a role here. I'm just starting though so I'm not too discouraged. If I set my mind to something, I'll accomplish it.

Second workout done! Seemed harder than the first, maybe because I upped my running speed a tad. even though I felt like I was having a heart attack, a couple hours later I feel gooooood. :)

Compare yourself to me. You'll feel great. :)

Off for Week 2, Run 1!

Not sure if I will do all the tracking but I am definately ready to start running again. I am a huge freeze-baby and its just getting back into the temps I am comfortable with and the sidewalks are getting clearer. Hopefully Mother Nature doesn't have another snowstorm up her sleeve;-) Besides ME needing to get into shape again, we have the National Specialty for our breed club in WI this year, so I need to start conditioning the dogs as well! Ty in particular loves his runs and is a good pace setter;-)

I think my elliptical should be allowed in this club :)

Damn knee can't take the impact of running, but I can do a couple miles on the elliptical no problem.
I've tried -everything- to be able to run. I've attempted the C25K 3 times, tried different shoes, different knee braces, different pain killers (lol) but no go. It just can't bear my full weight landing on it for even 2-3 strides. :(

Totally dropped off the wagon last week after one run. Back on again this week, especially if it continues to warm up. But what I DID accomplish last week:

1. quit smoking! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: to me!
2. after seeing a bunch of duds or not-quite-rights, found a GREAT house to buy with the SO. 15 minutes to campus, 20 minutes to the barn, big yard for vegetable gardening.
3. taught my yearling to lunge :)

So I don't feel TOO bad. And running will be so much easier without smoke in my lungs! Here we go!

Axel123 I went by the PRR tent after the marathon. I was like I am looking for a woman, I think she has a horse named Axel, she is a coach, ...they were like huh?? ;) Then I said vet school?! "And they were like ah!! That is so and so but she left a while back ...she did the half." I did the full marathon...so you were probably long gone before I got to the finish line. So how did you do???? I must say I did not have a stellar performance. My best time was 3:38 in 2004 when I qualified for Boston. But now I am slower and older and not as well trained... and I finished 4:21. I had hoped to be around 4:00 hours but I started out way too fast....b/c I felt really good up to mile 15...I was actually ahead of the 3:45 pace group...and then from mile 15 to the finish it seemed to go downhill for me. The 3:45 pace group passed me, then the 3:50, then the 3:55 then the 4:00...and then as I was close the finish line I saw the 4:15 pace group and I was like help me bring it home 4:15 group!!!! Oh well, not my best but certainly no my worst performance either!!! :) I hope you did well!!

Yay tambotie! I'm excited for my next marathon in less than 2 weeks! It's a small race, so I doubt anyone on here will be doing it, but if anyone is racing or volunteering for a race, on April 9, they should PM me so we can see if we'll be at the same place.

Axel123 I went by the PRR tent after the marathon. I was like I am looking for a woman, I think she has a horse named Axel, she is a coach, ...they were like huh?? ;) Then I said vet school?! "And they were like ah!! That is so and so but she left a while back ...she did the half." I did the full marathon...so you were probably long gone before I got to the finish line. So how did you do???? I must say I did not have a stellar performance. My best time was 3:38 in 2004 when I qualified for Boston. But now I am slower and older and not as well trained... and I finished 4:21. I had hoped to be around 4:00 hours but I started out way too fast....b/c I felt really good up to mile 15...I was actually ahead of the 3:45 pace group...and then from mile 15 to the finish it seemed to go downhill for me. The 3:45 pace group passed me, then the 3:50, then the 3:55 then the 4:00...and then as I was close the finish line I saw the 4:15 pace group and I was like help me bring it home 4:15 group!!!! Oh well, not my best but certainly no my worst performance either!!! :) I hope you did well!!

CONGRATS!!! Haha I cant believe you found our tent! When we showed up at 5am there was NO TENT for us :mad:...which is totally not Ok because we were the official training group of the race...but we got a tent...but no sign on it. I think most of our group missed us...oh well.
And then I had to leave earlier then planned because a co-worker at the store was sick so I took her shift...sad I missed you!

BUT CONGRATS!!! YAY!!

Also, congrats everyone for sticking to the program! Yay running!:love:

Axel123 it was wierd b/c there was no sign but asked at a person at another tent where you all were!! Congrats to you too!!!

Thanks Niri. Which marathon are you doing?

Yo it took me two years to get to where I am now - I'm really accident prone so I felt like I was constantly taking one step forward and two steps back. Only in the last two months or so have I been able to run somewhat consistently. Take your time and don't get hurt like I did! ;)

It is supposed to get warmer so by the end of the week I will actually be able to run outside!!! :soexcited:

Congrats Tambotie and Alex on the race this weekend!!!

I am trying to find a schedule where I can keep my weekends free, not sure how long that will last, but right now I am trying to keep to MT and ThF. Going from 3x a wk to 4x has been a little bit more difficult than I thought. But I definitely find this thread motivating! Good luck to all those who start this week!!!

I've been working on starting this for a while. I like walking/jogging with my dogs, but I have an old dog with limited hind leg control and a young energetic lab. Obviously, they have very different needs. We keep hitting major snags (ex: I had a bleeding dog in the middle of a walk last week), but we had a breakthrough.

Today, I finally figured out a workable system. Five minute warm-up with both dogs, then drop the old dog off at the house and continue with the "program".

So, today was day 1 of C25k Week 0.
(I added my own week of 30 minute walks without jogging, because I have a history of shin splints and it has been a while since I could classify myself as fit.)

So, today was day 1 of C25k Week 0.
(I added my own week of 30 minute walks without jogging, because I have a history of shin splints and it has been a while since I could classify myself as fit.)

Awesome!

Somewhere deep inside me is lurking an evil scientist who has this vague notion to run a study investigating a link between exercise and academic success........

Maybe next lifetime.

Congrats Tambotie and Alex on the race this weekend!!!

I am trying to find a schedule where I can keep my weekends free, not sure how long that will last, but right now I am trying to keep to MT and ThF. Going from 3x a wk to 4x has been a little bit more difficult than I thought. But I definitely find this thread motivating! Good luck to all those who start this week!!!

Thanks Packen! Well at mile 21 in my head as I have done so many times before during these things (I am not going to do another one of these ever again!) And a few days pass and I am like well, no, it was not that bad...which one can I sign up for next! ;) It does seem harder at my age on the far end of the thirty something ;). BUT I do love half marathons so I am going to do one at the end May for sure.

Awesome!

Somewhere deep inside me is lurking an evil scientist who has this vague notion to run a study investigating a link between exercise and academic success........

My high school cross country team had the highest GPA average of any of the athletic teams at my high school. :D

I'm just hoping that I can keep running a good bit when I'm in vet school (c/o 2016 hopeful).

I did W1D1 today! =) It was pretty easy for me so I guess I haven't regressed too badly in my running fitness. Hopefully having done this before will give me a little bit of an advantage.

In other news, as of today I'm down 11.6 pounds and made my first Weight Watchers recipe today-a beef and brocolli stir-fry. It was SO good and I've never made something that requires a recipe before so I'm really proud of myself. Yayy!!

Here's some related motivation from my neck of the woods.

Pa. students running to Capitol to protest education cuts

"More than 35 students from at least two state universities will take to the streets and run up to 100 miles to the Capitol to protest the governor's proposed cuts to higher education.

Cross-country and track athletes from Lock Haven University plan to run all night Sunday to Harrisburg for a rally on Monday with fellow students, some running in from Millersville University and others coming in on buses."

More here.

I joined :)

I only run a few times a week b/c of knee problems, but I will log what I do! It's unfortunate you can't log gym workouts though. I should really start biking outside again... just lazy!

I can never get myself to stick to an actual workout program, I just try to raise my heart rate, get some vitamin D, and find some cool wildlife a few times a week. Aka, the gym sucks my soul (but it is rather useful). Seriously though, if you can maintain your HR around 160 for 45 min, you'll probably have already run several miles w/o noticing!

It's unfortunate you can't log gym workouts though.

You can log weights and swimming and biking. And you can mess with the options to see what displays on your homepage.
(Yes, I have spent too much time on this site).

Seriously though, if you can maintain your HR around 160 for 45 min, you'll probably have already run several miles w/o noticing!

That's a lofty goal for me. Right now my heart rate is out of control at 180-200 most of my workout....:(

Sounds fine by me. :)

.... C25K, Day 4 complete. Was supposed to wait until tomorrow, but decided one day's rest was enough, even for my old out-of-shape body.

I also started the C25K and on week 2 (missed first week but since I had been running about a mile thought I could move on to week 2). I will do the fifth run tomorrow so maybe we can help motivate each other. :D

Yay for everyone still going and for those who have started!! :woot:

My @#$%&*! headphones broke!! Listening in mono right now with bits and pieces of stereo. It's driving me crazy!!! I'm one of those folks that can't jog without tunes. Need them to keep me moving! But it's still too darn cold to be outside anyway. So, I'm hoping that I'll get some new headphones before the weather improves.

In other news, I walked up 6 flights of stairs at work this morning and didn't feel like I had been hit by a train at the top. Tiny victory in my book!

Well, Ty (my dog) and I went running outside for the first time since fall and I realized a couple things...

1. I REALLY REALLY missed running!
2. Ty is the best running partner. He is off leash and stays a body length ahead of me...ignores all people/animals, stops at all intersections, and best of all he pushes me and gives me something to focus on.
3. I am completely obsessed with the dogs past the point I even care to admit. I spent the entire time (about 45min) analyzing Ty's movement (esp rear movement) ...what I like and dislike AND what exactly causes those movements to occur the way they do. I also found myself wishing there was some way I could get a view of his front movement as consistantly as running behind him (without running the whole way backwards myself!) :rolleyes:

I am scheduled to give blood tomorrow after class so next run is planned for Thursday!