Could I get into NYU? NYMC? BU? Temple?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hedwig

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm 21-years-old. I'm a resident of Pennsylvania. I got my B.A. in English last summer from a medium-sized school on Long Island with a good reputation (I think). I'm kind of leaning towards DO school (PCOM) right now, but I was wondering if any of you of the allopathic persuasion give me some advice :)

My DREAM is to go to NYU med, but I'm also really interested in New York Medical College, Temple University, and Boston University? I was wondering, since I'd be happy with either MD/DO, what my chances of getting into these schools are. These are my stats:

Undergrad:

-3.97 GPA; graduated summa cum laude
-Editor-in-chief of college newspaper
-Presidential Honors List Scholar
-Listed in Who's Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities
-Member of academic honor society
-Founder of behavioral science club
-Lead actor in the college theatre program
-Acted with a professional theatre group once
-Winner, 2001 Technical Writing Contest
-Secretary of Jewish Student Organization
-Studied abroad in Europe with NYU for a semester
-Won extremely competitive award for outstanding scholarship in English.
-Volunteered in an osteopathic free clinic in Philly last summer.
-Have a volunteer internship in a busy ER (+level-one trauma center) in the Bronx this coming summer.

Here's the bad stuff. I spent my freshman year at a school in Washington, DC, and I did TERRIBLY; I bombed Intro Bio for Nonscience Majors b/c I didn't attend class/lab or study. I have transfer credits for MANY schools, including many high-profile ones, but they're pretty much all A's (Due to the limited humanitites options at my school, I sort of had to seek out expanded opportunities--and I did a good job of it.) I'm returning this semester to do the basic post-bacc classes (bio 101-102, chem 101-102, orgo 101-102, physics 101-102). However, because of scheduling conflicts, I'm going to have to take, at the very least, the two physics classes and labs at a respected SUNY community college that's close to my school.

I plan to take the MCAT a year from this April.

So what do you think my chances are of attaining the above schools? Also, what can I do to make myself a more attractive candidate? My college has a TREMENDOUS amount of upper-level science courses I could take, by the way, as well as research opportunities (which I'm not really interested in).

What kind of MCAT and post-bacc science GPA would I realistically need?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Continue to do volunteer work for the next year, score above a 30 on the MCAT, maybe get some research experience, get a 4.0 during your post-bac. Your grades and other EC's are great. I think you have a legit shot if this is really what you want to do.

I forgot to add Albert Einstein to the list (read the first post). HELP PLEASE--ADVICE NEEDED!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you worried about?
You'll get into a top school that is probably considered better than NYU or any of the other schools.

Oh, but leave this out of your application "-Listed in Who's Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities" ....no one really cares about that..

HOw did you get a 3.97 if you bombed your freshman year at another school for undergrad? Schools won't care as long as you have an upward trend. You are unique cuz you are theater / english major or just english with work in theater...

You didn't really mention why you wanted to do medicine....you need to figure that out...a calling? or family member involved in it? I would say boost your clinical exposure rather than worry about classes right now....

Basically, I had around a 2.8 I guess from my freshman year. I transferred after that to another school (and got transfer credits from a variety of schools over the next few years) and got all A's with only 2 A-s.

The thing is, my undergrad is good, but I'm not really sure, assuming I can do okay on the MCAT and post-bacc, whether or not I could pull off NYU considering 1)I'll have taken physics at a community college, which I assume med schools will not like and 2) I may not have any research experience and 3) I'm not in an official post-bacc program; I'm just taking the classes where I can, on my own.

What should I do? If I take advanced science classes during the "glide" year, will that help me?

Either way, I'm starting my post-bacc studies in 2 weeks and I'm really excited. As for my motivation, I can't really say more than that I love medicine. I love the science. I love the humanism. I love the technology. I love the intellectual challenge. And I love idea of using all three to help people. There's nothing like it! That's all I can say: I just love it. I don't have any illusions about saving the world or anything like that.

Well you have a lot going for you. Now you just need to refine your clinical exposure and show that you know what you are getting into. Physics at community college won't matter if you do well on the MCAT. Get above 30 on the mcat and then your community college and other stuff won't matter. Before applying you need to get some more clinical such as that volunteer...try to think of a personal experience when you were young or a while back that has solidified yoru dream to become a doctor...a loved one's battle with a disease..or maybe when you broke your leg from trying to do the splits all the way to the ground but your body just wasn't ready yet....who knows...
You can want to do something all you want, but they are looking for a little experience in addition to everything else.
What you have other than that, is magnificent. They will love the fact that you have acted and can talk to people and have shown leadership and done a slightly non-trad route with English major.

Here's what you need to do: You say:

"I love medicine."
PROVE IT ....how? with volunteer work...how have you seen medicine in action?

"I love the science."
PROVE IT....if you love science so much, why were you an English major? Why did you take physics at community college? Why not double major?

"I love the humanism."
PROVE IT....Many say medicine these days lacks any sort of personal humanistic connection to the patients. Patients now are just a number to send to the insurance company. Why not get involved in nursing?

"I love the technology."
PROVE IT...When have you worked with technology? I don't see CS major written on your application. Most the English majors I know smoke weed all day and then at night bust a paper out on a microsoft word program. No technology there unless you count figuring out fun things that can be made into a bong. How can you like technology and advancement if you don't even do research?

"I love the intellectual challenge."
PROVE IT....That 2.8 you got there....Was that challenge just a little too rough for you? Couldn't handle it could ya? How will you be able to handle a dying patient?

Hope you realized I am just playing a super tough interviewer for ya!! I think you have a really good chance if you get some clinical exposure and can really justify each of those reasons as to why you want to go into medicine. You must substantiate everything...(you know, you are an English major) :) Oh yea, Do SOME research...even if it is for 6 months....YOU SHOULD DO IT! Then that way you can say, I tried it but I didn't like it...if you don't do it b/c you think it will not appeal to you..then you never tried...also, look for a clinical research position...those would be more fun...
GOOD LUCK!

First of all, IMHO, the best thing to do for NYU or any other medical school is to get meaningful clinical exposure. This is hugely important. It is very rare for people to be accepted to med school without having at least some experience with medicine. I am at NYU currently and I can tell you that they do look highly on students that are interested in clinical medicine. The residency program is very inbred, and they take a lot of medical students so the medical students should be able to show that they wanna get there hands dirty working at Bellevue hospital.

That being said, there is a large number students who have done research and the school is on a big research kick, so that could definitely help.

As far as you're concerned otherwise though, I would say that the great equalizer of all the grades and academic stuff is the MCAT. NYU tends to favor students with higher numbers, compared to other comparable schools in terms of reputation. I think it is very important to get above a thirty, and getting a 33 or above would put you in a great position. Also, come in and schedule an appointment with Dean Brienza in the admissions office. He is a great man, who is very reasonable. He won't overlook numbers though, they should be competitive with other students who are applying.

Also make sure you're gpa would truly be a 3.97 when all the amcas type calculations are done. In general, community college grades are frowned upon, but I don't think they'll keep you out.

Also letters are very important, try to get good letters from science and non-science faculy members before they forget you. If you have a premed advisor, talk to them about a committee letter.

So overall, my advice to you is that you seem to have some nice little extracurricular things going, but those aren't nearly as important as letters of rec, clinical experience, and especially MCATS. A low MCAT will pretty much drop you out of the running immediately.

Best of luck to you, and don't sell yourself short, you have a very legitimate chance.