Could you say in an interview that you did not enjoy undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

If you said something like this, would that be bad? Maybe if you had a good reason that didn't just sound like you were complaining and whining? I feel like some people have legitimate reasons, but I'm just curious to know if anyone has ever said something like this and what the reaction was.

Members don't see this ad.

If you said something like this, would that be bad? Maybe if you had a good reason that didn't just sound like you were complaining and whining? I feel like some people have legitimate reasons, but I'm just curious to know if anyone has ever said something like this and what the reaction was.

I'm kind of wondering under what context an answer like this would come. What type of question(s) did you encounter or do you anticipate encountering that would require an answer like this?

Here's what I would think about: what does this accomplish? What impact or message are you trying to explain about your undergrad years? Why do you feel the need to talk about it?

Remember that you need a cohesive argument for why you would be good at that med school and everything you say should support that. Anything extra, whether inappropriate or not, just is useless and creates a bigger noise to signal ratio.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In general everything you should say at an interview should be positive and you should not say anything bad about your school or professors.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
I was just wondering. I feel like someone could be like, "How did you enjoy your time at whatever undergrad," just kind of casually

I still don't think you would want to say anything overtly negative. Maybe a response like, "It had it's ups and downs, but was ultimately a postive experience..."

Idk though, I haven't applied yet, lol.

Unless you flunked out, I'm not sure how negative experience you really had. In any case, good or bad, you'd have learned things about the type of person you are, how you handle different situations, what you look for in a school... Those all seem like good things to learn!

It would be kind of hard to say "yeah can't say I really liked UG but I'm willing to do an even tougher type of school - don't worry about it I got this"

Reactions: 3 users
Think about what you specifically disliked about undergrad and how that would affect consideration of your med school candidacy. If you hint at disliking portions of undergrad while maintaining a positive light, you will certainly be asked to elaborate.

It would be kind of hard to say "yeah can't say I really liked UG but I'm willing to do an even tougher type of school - don't worry about it I got this"

Agreed. This seems like a high risk, absolutely no gain situation. In my head I'm trying to think of commen reasons why people wouldn't like their undergrad:

Missed their homes/ family -> red flag
Didn't like their classes -> red flag
Didn't make friends -> red flag
Felt depressed -> red flag

Even if you had a completely understandable reason I don't know why you'd risk it.

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed. This seems like a high risk, absolutely no gain situation. In my head I'm trying to think of commen reasons why people wouldn't like their undergrad:

Missed their homes/ family -> red flag
Didn't like their classes -> red flag
Didn't make friends -> red flag
Felt depressed -> red flag

Even if you had a completely understandable reason I don't know why you'd risk it.
Just wondering, why are the reasons you listed red flags? It's true that they may encounter those things during med school, but I don't see why that would be an indication they wouldn't succeed there. After all, they accomplished enough to get an interview.
I wouldn't like my undergrad either if I didn't like my classes or make any friends.

I would spin it to be a positive. Something like "I'm so grateful for the amazing challenges that I encountered there."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering, why are the reasons you listed red flags? It's true that they may encounter those things during med school, but I don't see why that would be an indication they wouldn't succeed there. After all, they accomplished enough to get an interview.
I wouldn't like my undergrad either if I didn't like my classes or make any friends.

If they were homesick to the point that it made them resent undergrad, they're going to be even more homesick in med school, especially once you lose summer and are really limited in the time you have to go home, and especially if you're going farther away from home. Every year we would see applicants who have literally never lived anywhere but their home town, now applying to our med school that is a 6 hour drive from home. 1) how likely is that person going to come to our school given that there are a number of schools much closer to home, and 2) if they've never lived away from their families before, medical school is not the time to try doing that. That should have been done for college when there's still not that much to lose in terms of time and money if things go south, and when it's much easier to transfer (you can almost never transfer med schools, and if you're allowed, it's typically between pre-clinical and clinical years, so you still have to stick it out for a couple years)

If they didn't like any of their classes, who's to say they'll like any of their classes in med school? The first 2 years is non-stop classes, and didactics continue through clinical rotations. If they didn't like any of their professors, that's a big sign that there's something wrong with the student and not the professors.

If they didn't make any friends, one would be concerned about their social skills or ability to interact with others. Gotta be able to talk to patients and colleagues, even if you're going into pathology or radiology!

Depression and mental illness is a big factor contributing to attrition from medical school. If you went through undergrad depressed and never really got treated or addressed it, med school is going to make it even worse.

Reactions: 4 users
I was just wondering. I feel like someone could be like, "How did you enjoy your time at whatever undergrad," just kind of casually
You can casually reply "Very much. Thou dost knowest! Imbibing spirit and mingling with damsels of ill repute" *wink*

Reactions: 1 user
If they were homesick to the point that it made them resent undergrad, they're going to be even more homesick in med school, especially once you lose summer and are really limited in the time you have to go home, and especially if you're going farther away from home. Every year we would see applicants who have literally never lived anywhere but their home town, now applying to our med school that is a 6 hour drive from home. 1) how likely is that person going to come to our school given that there are a number of schools much closer to home, and 2) if they've never lived away from their families before, medical school is not the time to try doing that. That should have been done for college when there's still not that much to lose in terms of time and money if things go south, and when it's much easier to transfer (you can almost never transfer med schools, and if you're allowed, it's typically between pre-clinical and clinical years, so you still have to stick it out for a couple years)

If they didn't like any of their classes, who's to say they'll like any of their classes in med school? The first 2 years is non-stop classes, and didactics continue through clinical rotations. If they didn't like any of their professors, that's a big sign that there's something wrong with the student and not the professors.

If they didn't make any friends, one would be concerned about their social skills or ability to interact with others. Gotta be able to talk to patients and colleagues, even if you're going into pathology or radiology!

Depression and mental illness is a big factor contributing to attrition from medical school. If you went through undergrad depressed and never really got treated or addressed it, med school is going to make it even worse.

Exactly. Thanks for elaborating!

This is a broad statement but you have a 30 minutes to make an impression about yourself and your candidacy. I would choose to say things that will strengthen my application and highlight what makes you special. I would save that for a casual conversation at a bar with a bff

One of my past interviewers asked what I thought about my undergrad and to identify the positive and negatives about it. I was honest and said that I didn't enjoy the institution and explained why with actual justification. The main point was that a majority of the professors used a community/peer teach method which was fine when people actually did the work, read before class, and were willing to put in effort which rarely occurred. It did provide us with interesting perspectives from those who contributed and opened up several different talking points. Gave a lot more detail in my answer and the interviewer appeared receptive (told me he hated those types of people and told me a short story of his own in a similar nature). Who knows, he could have just been going along with it.

I don't remember if I said this in interviews (I'm pretty sure I did) but I said I wish I had picked a different major because I was more interested in a non-STEM field in HS but went into a STEM major in UG and didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

Not recommended. I would not be intrigued to hear more, and I would probably be thinking about some of the same things that @Ismet mentioned above. Just saying.

This is why some people never get second dates.

On a first date, do not complain about your ex.

Reactions: 3 users
You: I did not enjoy undergrad

Me: Really? Why?

Your answer: XXXX

Me: Why do you think that med school will be any better?

Your answers had damn well be good.

You're going to be a doctor, you are not allowed emotions

You're going to be a doctor, you are not allowed emotions

They don't want people who have no social skills and/or don't like science classes. If you go four years without making a single friend, that says something.

And getting an interview is largely based on stats and other box checking. You can get great stats without being social or even really liking your classes. But I imagine med school is much different and more difficult to succeed in that environment.