Couple of questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shingo123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a few questions.

My first one is about research.

If I take research for credit, will it be considered as highly as volunteer research?

Second: How important is it that you have upper level science lab work done by the time you apply? I am taking lots of upper level science course, just not the labs.

Research topic does not matter that much? Research on plants would be OK?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the application doesn't ask for "volunteer research" under the research section, just plain ol' research, so yes, you can include that research you've been getting class credit for - I think that's how many if not most people are doing research as. And yes, from the mouth of a UCSF Adcom I talked to, It doesn't matter what kind of research you do, as long as it is Scientific Research.

I was a little confused when you PM'd me with that question, hehe - you said something about "taking credit for your research," and I'm like, I'd hope you'd take credit for your research! :) As per your other question in your PM, I'll reply back shortly.

I think as long as your have taken your year of Bio Labs and such, it won't really matter, since no upper division labs are actually required, plus, you will always be able to put it down in the "Planned Coursework" section.

Good luck!