Couple of Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRAD1S

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’ve been doing some research into how I can complete my pre-req courses so I can sit for the MCAT and begin applying to medical school. One recent thought I’ve been actively researching is possibly getting my RN licensure (as this will satisfy all of my pre-reqs) and working in the nursing field during the application process. (My initial thought is this will at least communicate that I’m actively involved/interested in the medical field.) Here’s the dilemma…

I have the option of taking classes at a 4-year university or through a local hospital. I was wondering if anyone had any guidance as to which might be best or if it’s relevant at all. I’ve heard that admissions committee’s want to see that you took your classes at a 4-year institution but didn’t know if obtaining a degree through a hospital would be advantageous in any way.

Last thing….

I’m married, work FT, and have a 2-year old son. We have a plan for medical school and she completely supports the decision! I have the intention of working part-time and if I could do that in a nursing position, that would be ideal. (I've spoken with a few doctors that have recommended this as a potential option for PT work.) Regardless, I’m not able to take classes FT and have been doing some reading as to what admissions committees look for. Can anyone provide guidance as to whether going to school PT would hinder my chances or do I need to make FT classes work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I’ve been doing some research into how I can complete my pre-req courses so I can sit for the MCAT and begin applying to medical school. One recent thought I’ve been actively researching is possibly getting my RN licensure (as this will satisfy all of my pre-reqs) and working in the nursing field during the application process. (My initial thought is this will at least communicate that I’m actively involved/interested in the medical field.) Here’s the dilemma…

I have the option of taking classes at a 4-year university or through a local hospital. I was wondering if anyone had any guidance as to which might be best or if it’s relevant at all. I’ve heard that admissions committee’s want to see that you took your classes at a 4-year institution but didn’t know if obtaining a degree through a hospital would be advantageous in any way.

Last thing….

I’m married, work FT, and have a 2-year old son. We have a plan for medical school and she completely supports the decision! I have the intention of working part-time and if I could do that in a nursing position, that would be ideal. (I've spoken with a few doctors that have recommended this as a potential option for PT work.) Regardless, I’m not able to take classes FT and have been doing some reading as to what admissions committees look for. Can anyone provide guidance as to whether going to school PT would hinder my chances or do I need to make FT classes work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

If you are working a substantial amount while taking classes, as long as you maintain high grades the PT status is unlikely to impact your application negatively. Med schools want to see you can handle a full schedule, meaning it doesn't tell them much if you get A's while taking only 2 classes at a time with no other substantial time commitments. Working 25 hours per week and taking 8 credits of classes shows you can handle multiple demands on your time at once.

When you say you have a plan to work part time, do you mean while getting your courses done to apply or do you mean during medical school? From almost all accounts, it is nearly impossible to work and attend medical school, especially during the clinical years. Not sure if that is what you mean, but it is something to keep in mind.

Do you have a BA/BS degree already, or are you going for a degree while completing your pre-reqs? For classes through the local hospital, what school would be issuing the transcripts? If the courses are not through an accredited institution, I am not sure they will be accepted, though I have no first-hand knowledge. It is something to look at. Are you talking about taking your pre-req classes through the hospital or just those required for nursing? Just some things to consider.

another couple things to consider. nursing requirements generally do not fulfill the medical school requirements. you need to really look into this because more often than not, they will not work for prereqs. also do not go into the nursing field if you don't plan on staying with it. if you entered it and changed your mind, it is one thing, but having no intention of ultimately doing it is going to piss a lot of people off including the med school committees. it is ok to work part time and go to school part time, but the more rigorous the classes, the better. med schools want to know you can handle it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses! I'm presently considering whether working part-time while in medical school. (Perhaps not working all 4 year but at least the first two.) I have a very close friend who was able to make it through medical school working as a nurse for a local hospital so I'm attempting to follow his lead with that. I do have a BS degree (in Finance) and I'm not entirely sure who the issuing college would be through. Good question though and something I will certainly investigate.

My desire to get my RN licensure is, predominately, to be able to work PT while in medical school, look a little better on paper, and start gaining 'Entry Level' experience. At this point, anything to boost my resume is a good thing. The primary objective here is MD but I have a strong desire to work in the medical field so nursing would fit that bill as well.

I will more than likely have to take my first semester through a community college (doing Physics and ANAT/PHYS) which is not ideal but I'm not able to get enrolled in any of the local universities until the spring term. If you have any insight into that as well I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks again!

Last edited:
if you are thinking about doing this, instead of working part time and finishing prereqs part time, you should get a job and work the hours you are thinking and schedule 20-25 credits of prereqs. you cannot attend med school part time and if you plan on working through it and cannot handle it, you will crash and burn. i thought about working through med school as I am currently working 70 hours a week and just finished a 20 credit semester (3 As and 3 Bs) but have since decided that i am not going to risk crashing.

I actually work FT now and am planning on taking 8 credits this fall. I worked FT and went to school FT to put my wife and I through undergrad. I'm definately aware of the time and effort it takes although I can't say from experience i comprehend it to the level of medical school I can say I have a thorough understanding. 70 Hours a week and 20 semester hours... My hats off to you there! :)

as long as you understand what you are getting into. also, nursing (at least in my area) generally isn't a very consistent schedule. new students usually get the crap shifts and the crap workload. if your area is different, awesome. i work in a hospital and rarely see the full time nurses working right at 40 hours. usually a few hours more.

One thing to consider that is cheaper than nursing school and quicker is getting your EMT-B or CNA/MA. That will still give you the medical experience and won't lock you into a nursing field.

My desire to get my RN licensure is, predominately, to be able to work PT while in medical school, look a little better on paper, and start gaining 'Entry Level' experience. At this point, anything to boost my resume is a good thing. The primary objective here is MD but I have a strong desire to work in the medical field so nursing would fit that bill as well.
You will NOT, repeat absolutely NOT look better on paper if you get an RN simply to give you a job while in med school. It will make you look worse. Much like medical school, nursing school seats are limited and taking one of those seats when you have no intention of using the knowledge you gain there for more than a few years is going to make you look horrible to the adcoms. If you really are set on something medically related, go for EMT training-those slots aren't limited like nursing school and won't hurt you during interviews.

That said, I think the reality of med school is going to be that your plans to work while attending are going to evaporate quickly. Working while getting your bachelor's/pre-reqs done? Sure, no problem, most of this section of the forums is doing that. Working while enrolled in med school? Very very highly unlikely, at best.