Couple questions??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ORamahiii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So freshman year I took
Chem 1: C+
Comp 1: A
BioE: C+
Calc: D

Chem 2: C+
Retake of a two part Calc 1: B in first half B in second half (4 credits each?)
Psych: B+
Theatre : A

Then I got my ish together and stopped messing around.....

Summer: Ochem 1: A

Now I'm a sophomore and this semester my classes are:
Bio 1: either B+ or A-
Physics: B
Stats : A
Comp 2: A
Sociology: A

Next Semester (still not 100% but)
Ochem2: (Hopefully can get an A but worst case B+)
Bio 2:(Same prof as bio 1 so hopefully an A)
Public Speaking:( No doubt A)
American Sign Language:( No doubt A)

Summer 17: I am planning on taking Genetics since I am slightly behind due to not taking bio classes my first year..

So my questions are: Should I take the DAT this coming summer so the end of my sophomore year? My thought process was to try and get it over with because I thought it would be easier to study for it this summer then during the semester.. Plus I know I need time to study for it and really focus because I have never been an awesome standardized test taker..

I also know I messed up first year but I really am getting my ish together and I'm serious if i screwed myself..?

I transferred first semester from a school, second semester to a different school, and now I'm at my third school.. BUT I am here fro good haha.. my first school I was not happy at, and my second school got too expensive and now I am officially here.

Also when would be the best time to take my DAT?

I think first semester I got like a 2.9? and second semester it came out to a 3.0? without my summer classes and now I'm no doubt on deans list this semester, and will hopefully plan on being on it again next semester. I want to apply my junior year, and don't even want to have to wait till my senior year.. I live in Ohio.

Next year my science classes that I am taking are : Ecology, evolutionary biology, cell and molecular biology, biochem 1, and Genetics(this summer), and summer upper level science electives.. Im hoping to only keep my GPA going up and know I can do it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from Canada it's a little different for me so take my advice with a grain of salt.

1) It's a good idea to take the DAT earlier rather than later since you can retake it if you want to improve your mark. Also, the DAT tests mostly first year material so it'll be fresher in your mind. Many schools (Canadian at least) look at the best DAT mark from the last 5 years so plan on applying for a few cycles before it expires,

2) You didn't screw yourself with first year; however, it might take you longer to get accepted. Most schools I looked at require at least 3 years of university so you'll have time to increase your GPA. Also, some schools drop your worst year after you've taken a certain number of years. Although, if you plan on having your worst year dropped, it might be better to take the DAT later since it could expire.

3) In Canada, you only have two options to take the DAT: Nov and Feb. I found that studying while in classes wasn't too bad if you take a light term and start studying early. I finished all my review shortly after classes started, so I mainly did practice problem from DAT destroyer and sample tests from DAT Bootcamp.

4) It's good to start applying early but don't bank on getting accepted out of 3rd year. That is, don't stack your last year with all your heavy courses and hope that you won't have to take them.

Hope this helps answer your questions.