Couples...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiedyeddog

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone in here a couple consisting of a DVM( or VMD...) student and a MD( or MD/PhD) student? Can you comment on plans for the future, in how residency will unfold and finding a job in general between the two?

Members don't see this ad.

I hopefully will be. I'm applying for Vet school this fall. My fiance was going to be applying to medical schools this fall but has decided to put that off for another year to work. obviously its a lot to think about, and the fact that he is going to apply after me means that his choices will be limited (if we assume I get accepted..which I'm not counting on). I'm not really sure how it all will work but I know lots of MDs who got married right after medical school and were able to find residencies in the same area, if not the same exact program.

Since residency is a req for MDs, and not necessarily a req for DVMs, I would be willing to work for a few years while he went for his residency if it wasn't possible for us to find one near each other.

I'm kind of in that boat. My boyfriend and I started our graduate degrees at the UCD at the time (I am finishing my M.S. and he's in the 2nd year of his PhD). I was waitlisted at UCD and have placed my deposit at Iowa State. There is a very good chance I will be moving to Iowa while my boyfriend stays in Davis trying to finish his PhD (hopefully in 2 years). As much as it sucks, we've discussed that we're going to make it work. We'll spend breaks together and when he's finished with his degree, he will look for a post-doc position at my location.
I also know of a couple where the girl was applying for residencies (she had just completed medical school) and the guy was applying to vet school (they applied to all the same locations). Unfortunately, the girl had to accept her residency position a few weeks before the guy would hear back from vet schools. She ended up accepting the position in her home state (NY-rationale was that she would be near her family even if she wasn't near her husband) and a few weeks later, he found out that he was accepted at Cornell.
Finally, I know a married couple where the guy is doing his PhD in Cali and the girl is doing her PhD in Tennessee. They see each other during breaks from school. Although their situation isn't ideal, I've been told that it really makes them appreciate one another.
There are several different situations that work for different couples. I think it's completely feasible to try to apply to positions in the same locations. There are times that it doesn't work out, but I'm a firm believer that if it's meant to be, it will work out!
Sorry for such a long post :)

Members don't see this ad :)
kinda haha- except not official...more like we both have dreams and one of us wants DVM and the other wants MD lol. Basically the way it worked for me was I told my bf straight up that DVM is my primary goal in life. If I have to move out of the city or country, I'm going- nothing will keep me here, and nothing will stop me- I wont wait for anyone. If I get that letter, that's the most imporant thing to me.

I said he is welcome to come, as long as he is doing it becuase he actually wants to go to the city I go to- I said to him, if he has opportunities here, then he has to stay here, if I have opportunities there, then I will go there. If we were ment to be, we'll end up together in the end, but for now I'm not willing to give up my dreams.

harsh words, but I was honest from the start. As a result...my bf has applied to the uni I did ;) We've talked about it alot, since we are pretty tight, but the time is coming when either one of us will leave, or we'll leave together. Basically I was just bruitally honest and tried to be realistic. For me, I want to reach my goals, and I want the same for him. I said to him that if that means we have to split, then thats it, so for now we should just enjoy what we have now, and deal with it when it comes. We had alot of long nights talking about this, but its come down to it that we are both early 20s, and not set on getting married and growing families at this time. So right now we're just living it up trying to enjoy eachother each chance we get.

I suppose this might not apply- not sure how serious you are with your SO, if you are married and what not. But I figured I'd put in my perspective...coming from a naive, idealistic 23 year old with big dreams and goals, and hasn't yet been sucked down by reality ;)

Last edited:
I hopefully will be. I'm applying for Vet school this fall. My fiance was going to be applying to medical schools this fall but has decided to put that off for another year to work. obviously its a lot to think about, and the fact that he is going to apply after me means that his choices will be limited (if we assume I get accepted..which I'm not counting on). I'm not really sure how it all will work but I know lots of MDs who got married right after medical school and were able to find residencies in the same area, if not the same exact program.

Since residency is a req for MDs, and not necessarily a req for DVMs, I would be willing to work for a few years while he went for his residency if it wasn't possible for us to find one near each other.

This sounds exactly like my girlfriend and I. She just got into her vet school of choice this last cycle and I am applying now to MD schools now. It's sort of vague to me what happens to people after Vet school. I know many enter private practice right away but what about those who got on to residency? Is there a match for vet students?

How demanding are clinicals for vet students?

This sounds exactly like my girlfriend and I. She just got into her vet school of choice this last cycle and I am applying now to MD schools now. It's sort of vague to me what happens to people after Vet school. I know many enter private practice right away but what about those who got on to residency? Is there a match for vet students?

How demanding are clinicals for vet students?

You might have better luck asking in the veterinary forum :)

But there is a match for vet students, and clinicals really depend on what specialty you're rotating through. But as far as I know it's like med school - they range from time consuming and difficult to extremely time consuming, time to survive on no sleep.

There is a match for vet students who decide to go that route. Many vet students go immediately into private practice, some go and do internships, and others go and immediately go into residency. Since there is no time limit on doing a residency a new DVM could go into private practice for a few years, then go back and do internships/ residency if they wanted to.

As far as how demanding clinicals are...that I'm not sure of.

I was accepted to UF this cycle and will be starting my first year in August. Unfortunately, my bf was not accepted to med school this year and will be moving with me to florida. We're both going to be establishing florida residency and then he will apply to all the florida med schools next cycle. Ideally, he would get into UF's med school so we could continue to be together.

My idea after graduation (since he would be a year behind me) would be to either get a job or internship wherever he's in school for one year. After that, he would hopefully get a residency position near where residencies I'm interested in are located. That way, he could settle in to his program and I could apply for a residency in the area the next year.

My wife is a future MD and I am a future DVM... and it is nice to see others in the same situation.

As of now, we both got useless undergrad degrees (Psych for me, Econ for her) and are going back to school to get a 2nd bachelors in Biology at UCF... From there I hope to get into UF's vet school and she hopes to get into either UF or UCF (because we own a house here in Orlando and it would be nice if we didn't have to leave it empty for 4 years)... She is most definitely worried about babies, etc but because I can go straight into private practice after vet school I can take care of them while she is in her residency - so I am not that worried about it.

I can't help on the DVM & MD thing, but hubby is an exec whose job places great demands on him (inlcuding relocations, potentially out of country, for up to a year at a time.) When we were married, his career/position forced a cancellation of our honeymoon (24 hours before departure)...and then I only saw him for 4 days over the next six months....a total of 82 hours.

Generally, we just roll with the changes. That is all you really can do; strive to create situations that help you live the life you both want, then deal with where the cards fall. I do worry that it will be much more problematic if/when we have kids, though I also tend to surround myself with 'granny' types who are eager to assist. He also tends to work for companies that provide daycare for 6 wks and up. Not at all ideal for either of us, but a possability if we were really in a bind.

A lot of careers make intense time demands at various stages of life...and couples cope.