Course Classifiation - Already submitted AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merissa87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a Pickle...

I submitted my AMCAS on 8/26 and should be verified sometime soon, but I was doing some research on SDN and realized I mis-classified two courses

1. Comparative Primate Anatomy/Primate Dissections - pretty much gross anatomy, had cadavers and the whole works but since it was taught by the Anthro dept I classified it as Natural/Physical Sciences. Should I try to get this classified as Biology?

2. Pharmacology - I took this through the pharmacolgy department and got LOR from 2 of my pharm professors to satisfy my science LOR req't but I classified this as HEALTH, which means my letters wont count as science letters. Would ya'll classify Pharmacology as Biol or Chem??

I plan on calling AMCAS first thing in the morning bc I want the changes to be made before I get transmitted to schools. Has anyone had luck with changing course classifications??

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a bit of a Pickle...

I submitted my AMCAS on 8/26 and should be verified sometime soon, but I was doing some research on SDN and realized I mis-classified two courses

1. Comparative Primate Anatomy/Primate Dissections - pretty much gross anatomy, had cadavers and the whole works but since it was taught by the Anthro dept I classified it as Natural/Physical Sciences. Should I try to get this classified as Biology?

2. Pharmacology - I took this through the pharmacolgy department and got LOR from 2 of my pharm professors to satisfy my science LOR req't but I classified this as HEALTH, which means my letters wont count as science letters. Would ya'll classify Pharmacology as Biol or Chem??

I plan on calling AMCAS first thing in the morning bc I want the changes to be made before I get transmitted to schools. Has anyone had luck with changing course classifications??

Thanks

Don't worry, AMCAS will change the course designation for you if it needs changing. No harm, no foul. I had two changes on my AMCAS app re: courses and I still did fine. I don't think the schools even knew whether the designation was changed or not. Or if they did, they didn't seem to care.

I'm just worried about my LOR not being accepted as science letters because many schools (particularly Howard) say that they must be from Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Math professors...:confused:

this process is such a headache!

I'm just worried about my LOR not being accepted as science letters because many schools (particularly Howard) say that they must be from Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Math professors...:confused:

this process is such a headache!

Hm, well when I applied a couple of years ago they did the LOR thing differently...sorry I can't help you much on that point :(

I would *doubt* that their re-classification of a course would cause your letters to be reclassified, too, but I'm just speculating and could very well be speculating incorrectly. :( Someone else will have to answer that part.