Course Classifications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acslater99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On AACOMAS’s course classification website, they state no psychology courses are accepted as sGPA. I’ve been doing research online and found that there were several applicants who put down some psychology courses and AACOMAS had accepted them as sGPA. Throughout the research all the courses that were accepted had some biological aspect to the class. I’m trying to figure out if any of these two courses would count as sGPA in ACCOMAS.

1. Abnormal Psychology

- The goal of this course is to provide students with an overview of topics related to abnormal psychology. The primary emphasis of this course will be on classification of psychopathology and the symptoms associated with different syndromes; however, the dimensional aspects of abnormal behavior also will be highlighted. Second to this, emphasis will be placed on the associated course and consequences of each condition. Third, we will discuss possible etiologies (causes) of psychological disorders. Lastly, treatment of these disorders will be discussed.

2. Drugs & Behavior

- This class is recommended for students interested in learning about the complexity of human drug consumption on biological, psychological, and social levels. The course will cover basic pharmacology and psychopharmacology as well as specific drug action of seven major classes of drugs. In addition, the course will discuss the societal implications of drug use, including treatment and prevention.

If anyone can give me any information if these could possibly be accepted by AACOMAS, i’d appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

By AACOMAS guidelines, as you know already, they'd be not. However, no harm putting them down as your sGPA if it'll help it. If they switch, then oh well, no penalty
For what it's worth, my friend, a psych major, got classes like yours classified as non sGPA but got classes titled "Neuroscience of...." classified as sGPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Google the aacomas course subject list. Neither of those courses would count towards your science GPA.

Drugs & Behavior is equivalent to Psychopharmacology so it will not count as science specifically for aacomas. Take actual science classes...so you won't have this issue. Universities are switching to distance learning because of corona.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Google the aacomas course subject list. Neither of those courses would count towards your science GPA.

Drugs & Behavior is equivalent to Psychopharmacology so it will not count as science specifically for aacomas. Take actual science classes...so you won't have this issue. Universities are switching to distance learning because of corona.

Yeah that’s true, Ive started to look into the online science courses. The only reason I ask was because I saw people who had both classes I stated above accepted as sGPA from amcas/aacomas. Also I’ve already taken these courses so I was hoping to boost my sGPA lol.

Yeah that’s true, Ive started to look into the online science courses. The only reason I ask was because I saw people who had both classes I stated above accepted as sGPA from amcas/aacomas. Also I’ve already taken these courses so I was hoping to boost my sGPA lol.
Can you quote the posts you saw this?

Those classes aren't science. You should take real science classes otherwise your going to be in for a surprise when your GPA is lower than expected when amcas/aacomas calculates it come application time. Furthermore, you really aren't doing yourself any favors by taking these non-science classes because medical school is going to be a very difficult adjustment period especially for you.

To me it looks like you are simply padding your GPA.

EDITED:
Some psych classes are worth taking and can help your science GPA. Psych class with a heavy emphasis in Biology are best.

Last edited:
Can you quote the posts you saw this?

Those classes aren't science. You should take real science classes otherwise your going to be in for a surprise when your GPA is lower than expected when amcas/aacomas calculates it come application time. Furthermore, you really aren't doing yourself any favors by taking these non-science classes because medical school is going to be a very difficult adjustment period especially for you.

To me it looks like you are simply padding your GPA.

I read your post, you should probably re-read my post. I told you on the last sentence that I have already taken both these courses in the past. I was simply stating that I saw people who had these accepted as sGPA and wanted to make sure I could possibly get them accepted as well, which @darkeon provided me insight.

I’d never take these courses during my post bacc.

I read your post, you should probably re-read my post. I told you on the last sentence that I have already taken both these courses in the past. I was simply stating that I saw people who had these accepted as sGPA and wanted to make sure I could possibly get them accepted as well, which @darkeon provided me insight.

I’d never take these courses during my post bacc.
That sentence doesn't specify weither you took those classes during your BS or post-bac...you clarified that in your post above...

That sentence doesn't specify weither you took those classes during your BS or post-bac...you clarified that in your post above...

You’re right. My apologies, I should’ve stated that I took these courses in undergrad and that I’m currently doing my post bacc.

You’re right. My apologies, I should’ve stated that I took these courses in undergrad and that I’m currently doing my post bacc.

Did a little research. Some pysch courses can be included in your science GPA. Your Drug and Behavior course could be included in your science GPA but not Abnormal Psych. Other psych classes that will count as science are neuroscience based courses. Ex. Intro to Neuroscience, Neuropysch, Cognitive Neuroscience, Sense and Perception etc. Good luck.