Course load advice for community college transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sixty8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in some advice going forward. I have a full year of credits at a university and completed three part-time semesters at a community college (while working full-time). All of these older credits were from about 4 years ago.

My most recent coursework was from this past spring—a full-time semester—which allowed me to complete my AA degree. This AA degree satisfies the general education requirements at the university I transferred to and allows me to focus on completing major requirements…mainly composed of upper division sciences (biology major). If I wanted to, I have enough credits to graduate with my BA in three semesters.

My main concern, as a recently declared pre-med, is my academic course load. Considering the following -

1) some of the credits on my transcripts are from community college,
2) some credits were taken part-time and
3) age of some of my coursework at the time of my application

Would three full-time semesters (all science courses) be enough for me to prove to adcoms that I can do well in medical school (assuming all other parts of my application will be okay)? Also interested in knowing if these semesters are too light.

My plan going forward is as follows:

Semester 1
  • Four science courses, two with labs (14 credits)
Semester 2
  • Three science courses, all three with labs (12 credits)
Semester 3
  • Three science courses, two with labs and one humanities graduation requirement (14 credits)
I have no recent medical extracurricular activities done yet, and plan on volunteering and shadowing 8 to 10 hours per week throughout the year, in addition to the above coursework…so I am hoping the lighter course loads balance out.

Is this a viable plan? Can someone advise modifications?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there. You don't have to take 3 or 4 science lectures (+ integrated labs, which eat up time too) a semester to get in, and there's a good chance you end up overwhelmed by all you have to do. Sure, you might be capable of it, but you should be honest about how much you think you can handle right now. So when in doubt, err on the side of caution when choosing coursework.

Why not take 2-3 science lectures and pad them out with gen eds? That'd be a bit safer.

Reactions: 1 users