Course Load and Upper Division Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazy4clana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had previously not done well in the lower level pre-reqs like gen chem, will taking a heavy courseload in years to come while balancing upper divison bio/chem classes help you in the admission process and by how much is it an advantage?

Members don't see this ad.

if you can handle a heavy course load while getting As and still doing ECs, then i dont see why you shouldnt do it?

however, if your gpa is going to go down or you wont have time for ECs, then i dont think you would want to take a heavy course load.

a heavy course load will look nice, but i still think high gpa and good ECs are more important.

Take a load that you can ace your courses. A lot of courses with Bs will not look as good as 4 courses with As.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you had previously not done well in the lower level pre-reqs like gen chem, will taking a heavy courseload in years to come while balancing upper divison bio/chem classes help you in the admission process and by how much is it an advantage?

Yes. But only if you can handle the courseload and do well.

hi guyss....
I have a question regarding course load. I am from canada and we consider like 5 classes as full course load-- so in my second year first semester it would be microbiology, stats, organic chemistry, cell biology, and my elective course (geography). If i drop my elective and continue with the other four classes will that give me a bad look since i am only taking 80% of the full course load i should. and also when the dentistry schools count your gpa do they count all four years or only the top three??
also the courses you take in your spring/summer term do they get counted towards your gpa as well?

thank you

hi guyss....
I have a question regarding course load. I am from canada and we consider like 5 classes as full course load-- so in my second year first semester it would be microbiology, stats, organic chemistry, cell biology, and my elective course (geography). If i drop my elective and continue with the other four classes will that give me a bad look since i am only taking 80% of the full course load i should. and also when the dentistry schools count your gpa do they count all four years or only the top three??
also the courses you take in your spring/summer term do they get counted towards your gpa as well?

thank you

i think you should be fine with takeing 4 classes. as long as your gpa and dat is strong, i dont really see any problem. make sure you do some ECs with the extra time you have.

dental schools will look at all of the classes you have taken at all the universities/colleges. all these classes will be calculated into the AADSAS gpas.