Course Load for Undergrads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMed10019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
First of all, I am only a high school student who just graduated, and I am going off to University of British Columbia in Canada this fall. (I currently live in Canada and am a Canadian Citizen)

Of course everything is very important such as EC activities, Volunteer hours, DAT Score; however, I am most concerned about my GPA. My first year is full of Science, math, and English, and currently registered for 6/5 course load plus there are 4 labs. I have looked into Dental schools in Canada, and some universities require full-course load years - 30 credits (Not all schools). Some schools have penalties if an applicant has less than 30 credits per year.

I originally thought of taking 4/4 with 2 during summer in order to focus better. Do universities in US have strict policies regarding full-course load/credits? Moreover, please share your ways how to keep your GPA high.

Lastly, for Canadians to apply to US or Australian Schools, is there any severe disadvantage?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

No there are no penalties; as long as you finish in a reasonable amount of time without a glaringly easy course load nobody is going to care if you take 13 15 or 18. Doing well is far more important than the difficulty of coursework or courseload.

Hello everyone,
First of all, I am only a high school student who just graduated, and I am going off to University of British Columbia in Canada this fall. (I currently live in Canada and am a Canadian Citizen)

Of course everything is very important such as EC activities, Volunteer hours, DAT Score; however, I am most concerned about my GPA. My first year is full of Science, math, and English, and currently registered for 6/5 course load plus there are 4 labs. I have looked into Dental schools in Canada, and some universities require full-course load years - 30 credits (Not all schools). Some schools have penalties if an applicant has less than 30 credits per year.

I originally thought of taking 4/4 with 2 during summer in order to focus better. Do universities in US have strict policies regarding full-course load/credits? Moreover, please share your ways how to keep your GPA high.

Lastly, for Canadians to apply to US or Australian Schools, is there any severe disadvantage?

Thank you
Yes there are policies in the US for dental schools. Many of the schools I called and talked to said they prefer a full course load (12 units) per term (quarter or semester). If you have less than 12, then you are at a disadvantage although it's still possible to get in but just less likely.

As a Canadian, the main disadvantage is you are only eligible for ~18 dental schools I believe in the US based off other Canadians I spoke to at my interviews. However, that is apparently still much more than what Canada has haha.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes there are policies in the US for dental schools. Many of the schools I called and talked to said they prefer a full course load (12 units) per term (quarter or semester). If you have less than 12, then you are at a disadvantage although it's still possible to get in but just less likely.

As a Canadian, the main disadvantage is you are only eligible for ~18 dental schools I believe in the US based off other Canadians I spoke to at my interviews. However, that is apparently still much more than what Canada has haha.
Does this include pass/fail courses? My first semester and second to last semster I had 11 credits but i had a pass/fail course for each semseter.

Does this include pass/fail courses? My first semester and second to last semster I had 11 credits but i had a pass/fail course for each semseter.

It does if the pass fail course gives units on your transcript.

It does if the pass fail course gives units on your transcript.
Okay awesome, because the aadsas thing showed 11 credits and i was freaking out about it. My transcript shows 14 for both. Thank you.

Most schools would typically like to see you take roughly 15 credits per semester, unless you have some understandable reason (for example, taking it light for your first semester to allow you to adjust to college life). It does not mean that an occasional 12 credit semester will ruin it for you, as long as you are not consistently doing that.

Of course, you want to make sure that you can manage the course load you select. Frequent withdrawals (beyond 2 or 3) as a result of constantly choosing a course load you cannot handle will definitely look worse than taking a somewhat lighter course load.

Most schools would typically like to see you take roughly 15 credits per semester, unless you have some understandable reason (for example, taking it light for your first semester to allow you to adjust to college life). It does not mean that an occasional 12 credit semester will ruin it for you, as long as you are not consistently doing that.

Of course, you want to make sure that you can manage the course load you select. Frequent withdrawals (beyond 2 or 3) as a result of constantly choosing a course load you cannot handle will definitely look worse than taking a somewhat lighter course load.

What schools say 15 units? Many schools I called maintained 12 units minimum was what they were looking for since 12 units a term usually qualifies as the minimum to be a full time student. I believe its when you take less than 12 and become classified as a part-time student that it hurts your application.

Sure, 12 a term is what is required to have full time status, but most applicants will still probably be taking roughly 15 per semester. Thus to be competitive, you should still expect to have to take roughly 15 per semester.

Sure, 12 a term is what is required to have full time status, but most applicants will still probably be taking roughly 15 per semester. Thus to be competitive, you should still expect to have to take roughly 15 per semester.

But that's contrary to what admissions told me. I don't think they value more units per term as long as you:
-are full time
-fulfill prerequisites
-maintain a competitive GPA

More units per term does not make you a more competitive applicant as long as you do not go under 12. However, I have only talked to adcoms at 5 schools about this so if you think this is untrue, then call the schools you are applying to and double check.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm not so sure about the average being 15 given so many people these days are coming in with AP/other types of college credit.

But that's contrary to what admissions told me. I don't think they value more units per term as long as you:
-are full time
-fulfill prerequisites
-maintain a competitive GPA

More units per term does not make you a more competitive applicant as long as you do not go under 12. However, I have only talked to adcoms at 5 schools about this so if you think this is untrue, then call the schools you are applying to and double check.

Which schools did you ask about this if you don't mind me asking?

I find it hard to believe that d-schools do not favor large course loads...

I find it hard to believe that d-schools do not favor large course loads...

I mean sure they could favor them, but if you have everything else they are looking for (GPA, DAT Score, extracurriculars) I doubt they are going to throw out your application because you didn't average 15 hours a semester.

What schools say 15 units? Many schools I called maintained 12 units minimum was what they were looking for since 12 units a term usually qualifies as the minimum to be a full time student. I believe its when you take less than 12 and become classified as a part-time student that it hurts your application.

I'm new on SDN and was wondering how this factors in for non-traditional students. I already have my bachelor's degree and I'm active duty Air Force. I've been taking prerequisite courses but due to the nature of my job, it is physically impossible for me to take more than one or two courses at a time, which is only part time. I'm doing really well in the courses but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this. Will ADCOMs make allowances for non-trads or will they throw my application out because I'm not a full time student? Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

I'm new on SDN and was wondering how this factors in for non-traditional students. I already have my bachelor's degree and I'm active duty Air Force. I've been taking prerequisite courses but due to the nature of my job, it is physically impossible for me to take more than one or two courses at a time, which is only part time. I'm doing really well in the courses but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this. Will ADCOMs make allowances for non-trads or will they throw my application out because I'm not a full time student? Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
I believe for people in the military it is different as well. It is referenced in the application if you mark yourself as active military so in this case I don't think it puts you at a disadvantage. I would also call the schools you plan on applying to and see what they think

You're situation is different. You have a full time job, and you are AD. They do not expect you to maintain a full time student status, that's impossible.
I did my prereqs while Active and I was only taking a few courses at a time, like you. I also have a family, so they understand that we need to sleep at some point as well.
Mention it in your PS when you apply. They want to see that you have time management skills to handle the demand of schoolwork plus a full time job. It'll show that you will be able to translate those skills to excel in the coursework required in dental school, since you won't be worried about the demands of being on AD.

Keep pushing and working hard. Being in the military definitely played a part in my acceptance. Do well in your coursework and crush it on the DAT. Are you going for HPSP?

You're situation is different. You have a full time job, and you are AD. They do not expect you to maintain a full time student status, that's impossible.
I did my prereqs while Active and I was only taking a few courses at a time, like you. I also have a family, so they understand that we need to sleep at some point as well.
Mention it in your PS when you apply. They want to see that you have time management skills to handle the demand of schoolwork plus a full time job. It'll show that you will be able to translate those skills to excel in the coursework required in dental school, since you won't be worried about the demands of being on AD.

Keep pushing and working hard. Being in the military definitely played a part in my acceptance. Do well in your coursework and crush it on the DAT. Are you going for HPSP?
Thanks for the encouragement! It's been a long road but I know it'll be worth it. I'm still undecided if I will try for HPSP. Is this something you have done?