Course load on Quarter system?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have looked at some other threads, but they haven't provided me a conclusive answer.

Note: I am on the QUARTER SYSTEM

I am a freshmen, and I have been taking 12 - 13 units per quarter.

Sophomore year, I want to keep my course load the same, especially because I will be taking O-chem.

Will 12 units of ochem and bio. + labs, coupled, with 6 hours of clinical volunteering per week be problematically low? My only other involvements are personal athletics (i don't play for a team), and pre-med fraternity. Those two combined take up about 10 hrs per week. Although, athletics may take up about 14hrs if my surgery works.

Is the size of my courseload an issue? If it is, would it be better to get involved in research, or to just take some GE's?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do whatever you need to be happy. It doesn't really matter that you do X of this or Y of that, but rather that you show you can handle a lot of stuff going on at the same time and still pull good grades.

I am finishing up my sophomore year, and I have been taking 12-14 units for two years and I have straight A's because I am not overwhelmed. Add in one or two volunteering gigs a quarter, and youre pretty busy. All you really need is ~12 (Ochem=5, bio=4, physics = 4). I do not know how it looks to the admissions committee, but im the kind of guy who likes to take my time and do things well instead of rushing it and regretting it later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on quarters too, and your courseload looks about right. I've been taking 20-22 credit units per quarter, couple with about 12 hours of volunteer work per week, 8 hours of lab work + other activities, but I'm on the go from 8a-11p daily, including weekends. Now ultimately, you need to find the schedule that allows you to do well in school (my schedule is neurotic because I tend to do worse when I'm not busy all the time). Your course load should definitely accomodate time for research and/or other activities if you want it, but its up to you how busy you feel like being

I'm on quarters too, and your courseload looks about right. I've been taking 20-22 credit units per quarter, couple with about 12 hours of volunteer work per week, 8 hours of lab work + other activities, but I'm on the go from 8a-11p daily, including weekends.

20-22? My school only allows a maximum of 19 credits/term without an override from an adviser. I'm finishing up 18 this term and feeling pretty stretched. Kudos to you for juggling all that!

I'm on a quarter system as well, and I take roughly 18 credits per quarter.
My fall quarter is 20:
-Physics 1
-Bio 1
-Calc 2
-Lin Alg