course load while preparing for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panicking

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I prepare to take MCAT in april. I plan to raise my science GPA by taking two science courses and a research project which counts as another 3-credit science course. Is this course load too light? In general, what is the acceptable course load for students preparing the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what the "general courseload" is while preparing for the mcat, but i'm taking it in april. I'm currently enrolled in 14 credits, my final semester of physics, upper level Biochem, and a spanish class. I'm also taking kaplan, and doing some research for credit.

Hope this gives you some ideas as to what the norm is.

I dont think this courseload is too light. I took a similar load when I took the mcat last april. What is important is to do well on the mcat. It is better to take a lighter load and get a good mcat score than to take a heavier load and get a lower mcat score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how intense your research projects are, but mine was fairly intense and I can objectively say that it probably hurt my MCAT scores. Even though I was trying to study for the MCAT I was spending more time on my research. I blew my first MCAT and my second was only slightly above average...lets put it this way if not for my GPA I might not have got in. My suggestion....take a couple of pertinent courses, take a review course if you can afford it, and prioritize that research (depending on the intensity and time demand)...you can do it post MCAT. Just my opinion.

Panicking,
Don't worry about your courseload. Concentrate instead on the MCAT. I took that dreaded test last April, and during Spring semester I only took 5 credits! I was teaching Ochem and volunteering too, but I took a light courseload to make sure I had time for MCAT study. Especially if your GPA is not so hot (like mine), doing well on the MCAT has to be your top priority!

People will tell you that Adcoms "look down" on not taking a full load, but that hasn't been my experience at all. In fact, the only time it ever came up was when one interviewer congratulated me on my MCAT score, and I thanked him and explained how I had "committed myself to doing well because I knew how important it was." So really, I don't think they care! I'm holdong two acceptances right now, so I think I made the right choice.

If too light a course load is a problem, then I'm screwed. I'm taking a hospital ministry class (shadow different doctors in different fields), an intro political science course with the rugby coach, interviewing with a guy that used to rush me for his fraternity, and orgo II (yes, I call it orgo). 12 hours total...but my advisor told me to take it easy, so I'm not worried.

I'm taking 22 units over the time of the MCAT. I started studying for the MCAT in October, and I'm not taking any Kaplan MCAT classes or anything. I still feel well prepared though. I believe that it depends on how well you can handle your classes, work and other priorities. Best of luck!

It's your call. I took 18 hours (Biochem II, Anatomy, and a Senior Thesis Research Project were the toughest 10 hours) of courses and TPR MCAT class. I wouldn't have taken so many if I had to do it all over again, but then again I didn't improve my score much by retaking the MCAT in the summer when my courseload was easier.