Course Requirements for Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how strict course requirements listed by a school for admission are? I just got my MSAR and realize I haven't taken some of the courses required for some schools. For example, I don't have a year of English! I have a semester of English and a writing course (that they will never know was a writing course b/c it's disguised as a Biology course). Also, I noticed UCSF requires vertebrate zoology! I don't even know if we had that class at my school! How flexible do you think the requirements are? Was anyone admitted to schools where they didn't meet all the requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

The only way to get a reliable answer is to call the schools you're interested in applying to. Only they can tell you how flexible they will be.

Hi Lola,

Me again! :D I didn't have a year's worth of English either, so I planned to take some at a community college. After I started, I got into SF, which only recommends it. Also, vertebrate zoology can be replaced by cell physio or biochem. You can check the course reqs in their website if you haven't already. Most schools have this also.

Have a good weekend!

Members don't see this ad :)
isa? sounds a lot like my name, huh? :p
i've taken cell biology in undergrad and a year of physiology in grad school. hopefully this will be enough. anyway, i'll check individually with the schools to find out. i definitely don't have the biochem required for many schools :( maybe this is a new requirement. when i was in college, i don't recall the pre-med advisory committee pushing for us to take biochem.

I'm embarrassed to say this, but when got my bachelor's degree (a looong time ago), my school did not have a "molecular biology" course. One of the med schools I applied to noted this in my application and HELD UP MY REVIEW PROCESS until I submitted a letter arguing that I fulfilled this prerequisite with other coursework I had already taken. I had to wait a week (in agony) until the adcom reviewed my letter and confirmed that I met their course requirements. Moral of the story: don't assume, be proactive and contact each medical school when in doubt!

aloha