Course Retake & AMCAS GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firecrotch30

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm sure the bulk of you are more informed about this than I am, so hopefully you can help. I'm applying next cycle but am thinking about ways to improve my science gpa during the coming semesters. However, I'm stuck on an issue. I retook organic chemistry (didn't do so hot the first time) and received a new grade for it last semester. The new grade shows up on my transcript, and the old one is replaced with an "R." I'm pretty sure that no one has access to the old grade - maybe it has been permanently erased or something.

So, when calculation my AMCAS gpa, would I just factor the new grade into my gpa, since that is what's on my transcript, and leave the other one out? I understand that retake grades must also be included into the AMCAS gpa (I've already read a gazillion threads on this), but since it is absent from my transcript, the only think I can do is enter an "R" after the first attempt, and "R's" don't have any point value. Or do they. Any thoughts?

Bothered and Bewildered

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm sure the bulk of you are more informed about this than I am, so hopefully you can help. I'm applying next cycle but am thinking about ways to improve my science gpa during the coming semesters. However, I'm stuck on an issue. I retook organic chemistry (didn't do so hot the first time) and received a new grade for it last semester. The new grade shows up on my transcript, and the old one is replaced with an "R." I'm pretty sure that no one has access to the old grade - maybe it has been permanently erased or something.

So, when calculation my AMCAS gpa, would I just factor the new grade into my gpa, since that is what's on my transcript, and leave the other one out? I understand that retake grades must also be included into the AMCAS gpa (I've already read a gazillion threads on this), but since it is absent from my transcript, the only think I can do is enter an "R" after the first attempt, and "R's" don't have any point value. Or do they. Any thoughts?

Bothered and Bewildered

Never heard of that R business. I think you should enter what's on your transcript and let AMCAS figure the rest out.

Worst case scenario - both grades are included
Best case scenario - they are so confused by the R that they let you get by with the new grade

In the meantime, take more science classes, study hard, and do well.

You don't know what you got on it? You're supposed to put what you got for the class even if it's not on your transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)

Bothered and Bewildered

When you retake a course both grades are supposed to be factored into your AMCAS grade. I would assume that even if you put an R, in the end both grades are going to show up. Just my guess.

That's what I was thinking, but I guess I am just confused as to how they will find out what the original grade is, since there is no record for it on the transcript. I can't call the registrar's office to tell them to change or "uncover" that grade, and I doubt amcas would call my school to inquire about it. Basically, it seems like if I did have to include the original grade, I (or anyone for that matter) could easily lie and put down a "B" for the first time, when really it was a "C." Of course, I would never risk doing that. Oh well, I'll just worry it later I suppose...

Thanks!

When you retake a course both grades are supposed to be factored into your AMCAS grade. I would assume that even if you put an R, in the end both grades are going to show up. Just my guess.