SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Courses for MCAT

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BlueElmo, Apr 23, 2007.

1. BlueElmo

BlueElmo 10+ Year Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Hey

I was wondering if I need to take these two specific courses before taking the MCAT? One is Bio 1B, which is like ecology, plant development, population biology, evolution, etc. The other is Biochemistry. I heard you don't need to have taken these two courses before the MCAT because they are not tested, and even if they are, they would be taught in a prep class.
    Is that true?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days... 10+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Evolution is sometimes on the MCAT. Biochem is definitely on the MCAT, although not to any advanced extremes. It might be good to take Biochem before the MCAT, if anything to be familiar with some of the passages.

But you are right, you don't really have to take them, they're not required per se. I didn't take gen bio or biochem before taking MCAT.

4. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days... 10+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Also check out the MCAT subforums, they might be of better help to you.

5. foofish

foofish 7+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2006
    SDN
    I recall seeing some population bio (as in basic population genetics/distribution) and biochem on the MCAT...but you're right, it's all basic stuff that you can pick up from a prep class or book. I was still taking intro bio (although, admittedly a biochem-intensive intro bio) when I took the MCAT and it was fine.

And I'll second that suggestion to check out the MCAT forum. :thumbup:

6. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me 7+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Tally/Willkillya County
    So far, from what I have noticed from my prep books.....there is virtually nothing but basic cell stuff similar between my general bio and the MCAT. Gen chemistry, physics, and organic chem probably benefit the most. I have heard basic biochem (sometimes a survey type course) and genetics can be helpful. My physiology course is following my EK bio book almost exactly..I use it for studying actually.

7. TheAmazingGOB

TheAmazingGOB It ain't easy bein' white 5+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2007
    I third that. Don't worry about the population bio stuff at all. Anything you need to know you learned in intro biology. I never remember seeing a plant development or ecology question and rarely do you see evolution or population biology questions. Biochem, on the other hand, is very useful and should help you on the MCAT as you will learn glycolysis and other cell metabolism pathways as well as transcription and translation of genes and other important topics that are regularly tested on the MCAT. Best of luck!