1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Courses for MCAT

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by hringrose, Aug 18, 2002.

1. hringrose

hringrose Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

After completing the MCAT yesterday, did anyone find that any of their upper year courses helped? I mean anything above and beyond the four basic courses: bio, chem, org chem, and physics. I am considering taking physiology and anatomy to help in the biological science section in April 2003.

Thanks,

Heather

2. lady bug

7+ Year Member

There was no physiology on my mcat. :mad: I don't think anatomy would help much with the mcat either.

3. Wahoo07

Wahoo07 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would have to disagree with lady bug. I think that upper level biology courses are extremely helpful in taking the MCAT, particularly the ones you mentioned. Also look into developmental biology, cell biology, and genetics. Maybe immunology and microbiology if you have time. Immunology is neat anyways, so just take it. :)

Don't bother with upper level chemistry or physics. Maybe biochem, but I wouldn't know about that.

4. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

DEFINITELY TAKE UPPER LEVEL BIO COURSES........i had one passage on lac operon, and i did that in cell and molecular and didnt' find that passage too bad............also, i took physiology and it made an EKG passage easier........micro helped with viruses........its true you can do these passages without upper level courses, but it made doing the passages so much easier, cause the passage was not anything new.........i also had one about the endocrine, so physilogy again helped.......i took upper level chem classses and didn't find them that useful.......but upper bio definitely..........

nero

5. DrScottie33

DrScottie33 Junior Member

I found my Biochemistry course to be very helpful.

6. Mimicat

Mimicat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Based on the form I had, the courses I have taken which were most helpful were:

Physiology (took it with Anatomy, but wasn't much anatomy on the MCAT)

Genetics

Microbiology (mostly for the genetics component covered in that course)

Biochem (helped slightly, ie for the fatty acid passage)

Organic chem (well, it would have helped if I could remember any of it during the test....)

7. NE_Cornhusker1

NE_Cornhusker1 12" Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah. I had the lac operon beat into in Bio Chem II in the spring. I think the upper level courses refine your knowledge of the subject and teach you the subtle details that allow you to get it right for sure, not just probably. Peace.

8. marmalae

marmalae Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

upper div bio classes definitely helped me too--especially physio classes and biochemistry.