Courses in summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1038633

Hello everyone,

This is an undergrad speaking from 4-year public university. I had a question on some of the math courses needed. I know that it is typically favored to take a semester of statistics (which I will be taking this spring of 2021) and a semester of Calculus 1 for med school applications. I was thinking of taking calculus 1 during summer (which will most likely be online from my 4-year uni) because I didn't want to take a math class of that caliber alongside orgo chem next year considering my low-skills in mathematics. I was wondering if I could get any insight on whether that's an okay thing to do or whether that would be a turn-off for med schools when application time comes?

Thank you very much for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

They won't care or notice.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

This is an undergrad speaking from 4-year public university. I had a question on some of the math courses needed. I know that it is typically favored to take a semester of statistics (which I will be taking this spring of 2021) and a semester of Calculus 1 for med school applications. I was thinking of taking calculus 1 during summer (which will most likely be online from my 4-year uni) because I didn't want to take a math class of that caliber alongside orgo chem next year considering my low-skills in mathematics. I was wondering if I could get any insight on whether that's an okay thing to do or whether that would be a turn-off for med schools when application time comes?

Thank you very much for reading.

Calculus is the least important medical school pre-requisite. As long as you take a statistics course during the school year, they will likely not care much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much. This made me feel much better.

• Care
Calculus is the least important medical school pre-requisite. As long as you take a statistics course during the school year, they will likely not care much.
This^^^^. Just be careful if you are weak in math, because at most 4-year schools, the summer classes are compressed, not watered down. This compression plus being online might end up being problematic for you if math isn't your thing. Med schools won't care WHEN you take it, but there is still the expectation to do well in just about everything in order to be successful in this process.

Reactions: 4 users
This^^^^. Just be careful if you are weak in math, because at most 4-year schools, the summer classes are compressed, not watered down. This compression plus being online might end up being problematic for you if math isn't your thing. Med schools won't care WHEN you take it, but there is still the expectation to do well in just about everything in order to be successful in this process.
Thank you very much for the insight

FWIW, I never took stats and I got in just fine. Most schools only require one or the other if I recall correctly.