Courses taken at community college before college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lulala123123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a gap year after my high school before heading to college. During that time I took some courses from my state university and community college.

I know that on AMCAS GPA section, it's divided into High school, freshman, sophomore, junior and senior

So would those courses placed under high school or freshman?

Members don't see this ad.

I took a gap year after my high school before heading to college. During that time I took some courses from my state university and community college.

I know that on AMCAS GPA section, it's divided into High school, freshman, sophomore, junior and senior

So would those courses placed under high school or freshman?

If you had already graduated from high school, then they're included under freshman.

High school is for college classes taken while you're still in high school

If you had already graduated from high school, then they're included under freshman.

High school is for college classes taken while you're still in high school

Will the "high school" college courses be counted in overall GPA? Especially if some schools screen you out based off of that?

I don't want me to be screened out of some schools because I took 5-6 college classes in high school and got Bs on them all, which does dip my GPA a good amount.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will the "high school" college courses be counted in overall GPA? Especially if some schools screen you out based off of that?

I don't want me to be screened out of some schools because I took 5-6 college classes in high school and got Bs on them all, which does dip my GPA a good amount.
If they were courses taken at a college, they will count for your GPA regardless of your status as a High School student.

+1 to Triage.

AMCAS will show a high school GPA (calculated only from college classes taken while in high school) but those grades will also factor in to your overall undergraduate GPA calculations as well.

GPA screens are typically set very low so chances are that your application won't be screened out unless your GPA drops below 3.1/3.0 or whatever

If they were courses taken at a college, they will count for your GPA regardless of your status as a High School student.

They were courses taken at my high school, but they had some deal with the local CC to count them as credits there too.

Weird situation.

Thank you for the help.

They were courses taken at my high school, but they had some deal with the local CC to count them as credits there too.

Weird situation.

Thank you for the help.

This is a very common situation.

Yeah I figured they would count. How stupid though.

I can only hope Bs in college courses during 9th grade are looked at positively.