Courses to Take After Completing Prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossjb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an undergrad degree from Michigan and came back to school last fall to finish up pre-reqs for Wayne State's pharmacy program. I have completed calculus, physics w/lab, biology w/lab, inorganic chemistry w/lab, orgo I and II w/lab and microbiology w/lab. I'm applying through PharmCas this summer. What are some good courses to take on top of the core prerequiste courses I mentioned?

Members don't see this ad.

crossjb said:
I have an undergrad degree from Michigan and came back to school last fall to finish up pre-reqs for Wayne State's pharmacy program. I have completed calculus, physics w/lab, biology w/lab, inorganic chemistry w/lab, orgo I and II w/lab and microbiology w/lab. I'm applying through PharmCas this summer. What are some good courses to take on top of the core prerequiste courses I mentioned?

I'd take biochemistry and genetics. Learning enzymes and pathways will be helpful to you. Also, understanding genetics will help you with certain diseases and mechanisms of certain drugs.

Members don't see this ad :)
TrojanAnteater said:
what was your original degree in?

computer science -- got it back in '01 at the end of the dotcom boom...

hm, yeah I agree dgroulx..... Biochemistry and also Molecular Biology. Of course, i'm not sure what Wayne State's prereq's are so those may be them. Oh and I think Human Physiology would be a HUGE plus for you to take. I remember the first day of my physio class the teacher put up survey results from med school students asked what undergrad course was most valuable to them in med school and it was overwhelmingly Physiology. I know this is pharm but it's along the same lines.

dgroulx said:
I'd take biochemistry and genetics. Learning enzymes and pathways will be helpful to you. Also, understanding genetics will help you with certain diseases and mechanisms of certain drugs.

Good info -- I'm thinking about taking those courses in the fall. :thumbup:

i took bowling...
snowskiing...
ice skating...
first aid...
wellness...

i had a good time...

TrojanAnteater said:
hm, yeah I agree dgroulx..... Biochemistry and also Molecular Biology. Of course, i'm not sure what Wayne State's prereq's are so those may be them. Oh and I think Human Physiology would be a HUGE plus for you to take. I remember the first day of my physio class the teacher put up survey results from med school students asked what undergrad course was most valuable to them in med school and it was overwhelmingly Physiology. I know this is pharm but it's along the same lines.

Awesome stuff. Wayne State's prereqs are fairly limited, so if I can take courses that would be of value for when I enter pharm -- aiming for fall 2006 -- will do. A lot of a course's value can also depend on the instructor. I'm taking analytical chemistry w/lab up here this summer because the professor in that class is tops.

ratemyprofessor.com is usually spot on...

crossjb said:
Awesome stuff. Wayne State's prereqs are fairly limited, so if I can take courses that would be of value for when I enter pharm -- aiming for fall 2006 -- will do. A lot of a course's value can also depend on the instructor. I'm taking analytical chemistry w/lab up here this summer because the professor in that class is tops.

ratemyprofessor.com is usually spot on...

analytical chemistry was a good class.However, sitting on a stool titrating for 6 straight hours every lab I could live without. :thumbdown:

crossjb said:

A lot of schools require a public speaking course.

If you're applying to other school besides Wayne St... Some require economics

Hey Bigups to you crossjb, another computer science grad on the boards!
I have finished up all the pre-requisites less the Orgo Sequence and the Health Science major brand of physics (took the engineering physics long ago). i will take these during the upcoming school year along with
analytical chem
gentics / immunilogy
statistics

Trustplans said:
Hey Bigups to you crossjb, another computer science grad on the boards!
I have finished up all the pre-requisites less the Orgo Sequence and the Health Science major brand of physics (took the engineering physics long ago). i will take these during the upcoming school year along with
analytical chem
gentics / immunilogy
statistics

al right, Trustplans -- good to see I'm not alone... :thumbup:

telling you straight up, compared to programming courses -- these prereqs are a joy.

oh most definitely, crossjb
i mean learning about semaphores and finite state automata is one thing but learning about the reproductive parts of a flower is a whole different thing...and much easier to catch on to right away! :thumbup: :thumbup:

crossjb said:
al right, Trustplans -- good to see I'm not alone... :thumbup:

telling you straight up, compared to programming courses -- these prereqs are a joy.

Was it hard to make a transition from CompSci to Pharmacy pre reqs? I was curious?

crossjb said:
computer science -- got it back in '01 at the end of the dotcom boom...

wannabeapharm said:
Was it hard to make a transition from CompSci to Pharmacy pre reqs? I was curious?

This is the honest truth -- not at all. They're much easier and more enjoyable. It's been great taking my pharm pre-reqs at Wayne State. At Michigan, I was a student in the college of EECS (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science). I was good at math, but the core degree coursework was a challenge. I wasted a lot of time in North Campus's Media Union cranking out code on hours of no sleep. I'll take courses like organic chemistry and microbiology over compilers and computer networks any day of the week. They hold my interest over the latter. So far, I have a competitive GPA at Wayne State, I've really enjoyed my work as a pharm tech, and I've had a blast helping out fellow pre-pharm students. Anyone thinking of switching from comp sci to pre pharm? Do it! :thumbup:

I am taking physics this summer (last pre-req) and I am thinking about taking intermediate spanish as well. Thinking and doing are two very different things though. I really want to get a job more and have time to goof off