Pharmacy School dropping courses concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alessandra20

Reaction score
Hey guys i just got a quick question it’s probably really stupid but oh well.
I’m currently in my very last semester before i begin pharmacy school in the fall and i committed already (Committed to Wayne state university). Right now i’m taking a biochem class and this professor is God awful and I am thinking about dropping it and taking it in the summer instead with a more promising professor. That being said, will it look bad on me if i dropped this major requirement class but ended up retaking it and passing it or does the W not matter as long as i finish and pass the class before the cycle begins. I really think i’d fail this class in all honesty if i stay but i don’t know what i should do. All the advice would be helpful! i take criticism well lol

Members don't see this ad.

First & foremost: Talk to the admin at Wayne State University. Most conditional acceptances simply need the prerequisites finished before matriculation into the program & not necessarily before the summer (double check).

Unless stated otherwise (typically not), a withdrawal doesn’t hinder anything other than prolonging your goal of finishing Biochem. You’re wasting time if you’re absolutely certain you can’t pass. If you can manage to pass though, it’d be in your best interest to grind through it and leave uncertainty off the table.

Reactions: 1 user
I would strongly reconsider going into pharmacy - actually I would highly recommend not going into it

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto. Any move is better than pharmacy school. Even if you take a gap year your coming out ahead

But every time I go to the pharmacy it looks like the pharmacist has a super easy job and the pay is over 100k a year. I could do that easy

But every time I go to the pharmacy it looks like the pharmacist has a super easy job and the pay is over 100k a year. I could do that easy
You may be right. Working as a pharmacist only utilizes about 15-20% of the skills you learn in pharmacy, especially in retail pharmacy. But you will have to deal with a lot of customer and insurance issues. The work is repetitive and many feel they are burnt out after a few years. Ambulatory care pharmacist jobs are very few and hard to get. If getting a decent pay with little potential intellectual stimulus or growth is your only objective, go for it by all means. However, the job market is very bad. I work within the federal government. Every position that come up there are 100-200 INTERNAL applicants for it. Landing the job you want is very challenging without insider connection. With rising tuition and a dwindling growth in the next few years (if not decades) to come, I will discourage from going into this field.

Ditto. Any move is better than pharmacy school. Even if you take a gap year your coming out ahead
Agreed. A year gap is small price to pay compared with stepping into the wrong career in the potentially most productive decades of your life.

Hey guys i just got a quick question it’s probably really stupid but oh well.
I’m currently in my very last semester before i begin pharmacy school in the fall and i committed already (Committed to Wayne state university). Right now i’m taking a biochem class and this professor is God awful and I am thinking about dropping it and taking it in the summer instead with a more promising professor. That being said, will it look bad on me if i dropped this major requirement class but ended up retaking it and passing it or does the W not matter as long as i finish and pass the class before the cycle begins. I really think i’d fail this class in all honesty if i stay but i don’t know what i should do. All the advice would be helpful! i take criticism well lol
Agreed with the other commenter, talk with your Wayne State admission office counselor. But, in a boarder sense, there are so many new pharmacy schools now thirsty for students to keep their revenue flowing. Given that the applicant pool has dropped like 14% last year (don't recall the exact figure), I do not think you will have difficulty getting in at all as long as your have a decent GPA.